Help Identifying Ludwig Snare

Staffsmith

I’d love to get some help from you smart folks. I’m trying to get some more details about my Ludwig snare. I bought it in the 90s from someone I trust who said it was from 1972. I’m not sure other details or what it’s worth. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3342.jpeg
    IMG_3342.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3345.jpeg
    IMG_3345.jpeg
    545.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3346.jpeg
    IMG_3346.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 43
1966_LUDWIG_SNARES6.jpg

1966 ^

always consult->

School Festival Concert Model

They made that model for years beginning around 1959
(since 1955 as a WFL)
Should have N or Cob flange hoops
(looks lke prev owner fitted Gretsch cast hoops)

Last edited:
........ who said it was from 1972. I’m not sure other details or what it’s worth. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Starting in 1969, Ludwig introduced the Blue/Olive badge ...... so ...... fair to guess this is not a '72. Look inside your drum for a date stamp. The WFL snare butt is probably not original to the drum (as well as the strainer and diecast hoops).

The round felt leads me to think 1968 (or later ). Before that, the felt pad was rectangular. But look inside for a date stamp. All my Ludwig drums (1969 - 1972) have date stamps inside the shell. Also, in '68, Ludwig switched to clear interiors. So ..... 1968 sounds more and more like the year of your drum.

Last edited:
Pre serial badge early 60’s drum leftover WFL components were common during this period .probably ‘61 - 62. All looks correct except Gretsch hoops.

Was gonna chime in here, but others have already nailed it. What I can say is, looks like it’s gonna sound amazing!

it may have had the Classic strainer which became
problematic (see above Symphonic model

probably was the higher end Classic. (see above)

Staffsmith - The badge says your Ludwig School Festival Snare Drum was made between 1960 and 1963.
The WFL butt could've been Ludwig attempting to use up their remaining supply of WFL marked hardware, or it could be a replacement piece.
The die-cast hoops are non-stock items and were installed by an owner at some point in time after it left the factory.
Is there anything printed on the inside of the shell? Maybe an odd combination of letters and numbers?
Please let us know.

Thanks for all of the valuable information here! I came to the right place.
I knew about the strainer. That was my doing. Apologies for not clarifying up front.
There is nothing on the inside of the shell. It is painted and looks original. I have looked very closely and there is nothing.

There is nothing on the inside of the shell. It is painted and looks original. I have looked very closely and there is nothing.
Right. Then your snare drum was made in the early 60's.
Congrats. It's a beautiful piece. 👍

Back