Help identifying drum kit make.

Have just been told it is a Stagg TIM +. No idea whatsoever what one of those is :D Will keep me out of trouble for a while I guess.............

Have just been told it is a Stagg TIM +. No idea whatsoever what one of those is :D Will keep me out of trouble for a while I guess.............

Stagg is beginner junk on this side of the pond. Guess one escaped. Sorry bout that.

This looks like one of the inexpensive 9-ply poplar kits that were resold under various brands in the 90's - 2000's. Ludwig sold under the "Accent Combo" name. Gretsch had the "Renegade".

Truth be told. These are not horrible kits, and are completely functional. They make good rehearsal area kits, and you can chop them down and make a Silent-Stroke trap kit without feeling like you've pissed on a Picasso.

The only negative thing I would say is that they're completely unexceptional in any of the qualities that would make a good kit.

Stagg is beginner junk on this side of the pond. Guess one escaped. Sorry bout that.

Same on this side of the drink. They make anything and everything for music. Everyone owns something made by them, usually cables, leads, mic stands.

Saw the FB post. Perfect kit for a jam night or house kit. For what you paid for it just clean it up and see what it looks like, it's a project kit

Same on this side of the drink. They make anything and everything for music. Everyone owns something made by them, usually cables, leads, mic stands.

Saw the FB post. Perfect kit for a jam night or house kit. For what you paid for it just clean it up and see what it looks like, it's a project kit

I have plans for it & started on it yesterday. The chrome is all mint & as new, which is a big bonus. Originally, I was just going to strip it for parts. The shells are ridiculously thin & seem to have some sort of impregnated resin which makes sanding almost impossible. Test painted one shell yesterday & the paint reacted. Back to the drawing board :D

I had a Stagg snare drum for a few years and like your kit, finding information about them is a nightmare. I do seem to recall word online a few years back about a maple kit they made that was ridiculously good but maligned due to the badge, I'm not sure if it was the Tim or another model though.
Stagg are a mixed bag, some rubbish and some gems. My snare was a 14" x 5" maple shell with die cast hoops that I picked up for a steal as a used item because everyone was wary of it. The previous owner had fitted an Evans UV1 head too so I didn't have to pay a penny to fettle it and bring it up to some form of standard. It was a fantastic sounding and solid snare, in the end I got what I had paid for it when I traded it against a 14" x 6.5" used Black Panther so it cost me nothing

I do seem to recall word online a few years back about a maple kit they made that was ridiculously good but maligned due to the badge, I'm not sure if it was the Tim or another model though.
That was probably the JIA series - a picture from audiofanzine:
stagg-jia-120654.jpg
Test painted one shell yesterday & the paint reacted. Back to the drawing board :D
If you want a cheap solution, you could give DC-Fix wrap a shot: https://www.bmstores.co.uk/brands/d-c-fix

That's the one Swissward.
I've woken up now and while pouring a coffee the word "Jia" raced back into my head :cool:

I've looked at those wrap options from B & M Bargains too and they've got to be worth a shot for the money, I'm pretty sure they're still open at the moment too. FWIW, black glitter or the matte white or black float my boat. Or the pink glitter could go towards rekindling memories of the 80's Tama Granstar finish. Or the black leather. Or, or or...

Last edited:
I woulda attacked it with spray paint. Cheap drums, why not?

Test painted one shell yesterday & the paint reacted. Back to the drawing board :D

Wrap? Stain? 70s avocado green shag carpet? Grow new mold ??

If you knew what the resin is that would make things easier. There might be some kind of liquid dye that would work. Maybe a natural stain from like fruit juice, or food coloring gel. Just thinking outside the box here.

Ding dong, Round two. Got the paint to stick without reacting :) Also changed the dreadful Tom Mount to a Pearl. Doing the same with the Bass Drum Mount. All parts I have lying around. Have bought a used pair of Vision Wooden Hoops from eBay as I hate the crappy metal ones with a passion.

BAC60F83-F2E8-4FCD-A086-34EB3D8F71FD by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Ding dong, Round two. Got the paint to stick without reacting :) Also changed the dreadful Tom Mount to a Pearl. Doing the same with the Bass Drum Mount. All parts I have lying around. Have bought a used pair of Vision Wooden Hoops from eBay as I hate the crappy metal ones with a passion.

BAC60F83-F2E8-4FCD-A086-34EB3D8F71FD by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
They suddenly look like classier drums with those badges. Did you paint them on?

This looks like one of the inexpensive 9-ply poplar kits that were resold under various brands in the 90's - 2000's. Ludwig sold under the "Accent Combo" name. Gretsch had the "Renegade".

Truth be told. These are not horrible kits, and are completely functional. They make good rehearsal area kits, and you can chop them down and make a Silent-Stroke trap kit without feeling like you've pissed on a Picasso.

The only negative thing I would say is that they're completely unexceptional in any of the qualities that would make a good kit.
The lugs are surprisingly classy looking!
(Nicer than some prestige kits that I could (but definitely daren't) mention.

Back