Help - how/where to start learning, what to buy, who to talk to, etc.

HowieFeltersnatch

Hey everyone, I've recently took a big interest in drumming but have no experience with it and have some past experience with music in general. Basically, I'm just looking for some general advice on how and where to start learning. My limited background in music consists of a few years of playing violin in middle and high school and it's been about 6 years since I've touched my violin. I'm really into metal(or "screamo" as some might call it) and I have a high respect for indy and some blues styles. Again, any advice on how and where to start, what to buy, who to talk to, etc. would be awesome.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have some typical questions here... which come up repeatedly by new drummers.
Usually it's hard to reply to them because they should be broken up into more specific questions to effectively address them and give good advice.

I've modified the thread title because unclear thread titles are to be avoided (forum rules) and nobody would know what kind of "help" you need until clicking the thread. Now a clear thread title eliminates this so people would know whether the thread is of interest for them, not having to first click to find out.

This forum has a "search" function, just for info so people can help themselves and look for existing threads on the same topic.

Ok, that was my usual preface...

It's great that you already specified metal as your primary genre (drums). Because the more specific your info on your situation/interests/needs, the more specific the answers will be.

Find a qualified drum teacher. Put all ideas of "style" aside, and begin with the basics.

Good luck.

Arky: Thanks for fixing me up, next time I'll nake sure to be more specific with my requests.

Mighty Joker: I read the first couple of pages of that pdf and it seems to be answering some of my more important questions. Thanks!

Wy Yung: I deffinitely will talk to an expert. I feel one on one time with a professional will probably be the most efficient way to get started.

If there's any other questions I can answer to help you pros help me, then fire away!

Buy some inexpensive used drums and play along with the music you like.

It's what we did before the internets,

When we wanted to hear a specific part of a song, we had to lift the needle off the record and move it back a few notches....again and again.

Personally, I think Edrums would be helpful to a beginner because it would be so much easier to listen and play thru headphones. You can transition to A's when you get more comfortable with the basics.

New Tricks: Yes, technology has made everything wonderful (until it fails) haha. And I was thinking I would get an electric set first, mainly because I think my parents would go insane listening to me beat on an acoustic set. Thanks!

JeffWJ: I live about an hour north of Richmond in Spotsylvania County. I may have to take you up on that free trial lesson, the only problem is that I drive a truck that gets about 14 mpg if I'm lucky, so that hour drive there and hour drive back would kill me if I did it all the time. I've thought about going to the local Guitar Center and talking to the drum pro there just for starters. But if you have any other recommendations on someone local to Spotsylvania or Fredericksburg, then please let me know! But once I get all the basics that I need, I very may well be taking a couple trips down to see you. Are there any other better ways to contact you? I greatly appreciate it!

I'm not sure, I know of a few places that offer lessons up here. But if I can't find anywhere up here then I very well may be contacting you because I'm sure Richmond will probably be the next closest place to go. But thanks for the info!

Yea I read the 10 pages then printed it off. It's perfect for beginners. Thanks Mighty Joker!

I'm not sure where you live in Virginia, but if you're close to Richmond I can have you over my studio for a free trial lesson.

If you are in another part of VA, I may be able to recommend someone to study with.

Thanks,

Jeff

Not to highjack thread, Can you recommend an instructor in the virginia Beach area?

Back