Happy Birthday Vic Firth & Charlie Watts

John DeChristopher

Drums Ambassador
June 2nd. Vic would have turned 93 today, and Charlie 82. This photo was taken 10 years ago - June 2013.

Two great men and legendary musicians, who were a huge part of my life and I miss very much... Let's celebrate them today.

Vic Charlie & Me 2013.jpeg

Nice photo, John. I have a Charlie story.

Not long after my book was published, Rich King offered to introduce me to Charlie, who was appearing at the Blue Note jazz club in NYC with his quintet. We got to the club just as the band completing their soundcheck. Charlie came offstage and Rich introduced us. I gave Charlie a copy of the book, which included a chapter on him, and he said, "Did you sign it?," in his very proper English accent. I told him, of course I did. We made a little small talk about drums, and then we had dinner and stayed for the show. Charlie played great.

I was coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel, and said to myself, "Charlie Watts asked me for my autograph. What the hell is wrong with this picture?!"

I have a photo of Charlie and I up on the wall. A great night.

Not long after my book was published, Rich King offered to introduce me to Charlie, who was appearing at the Blue Note jazz club in NYC with his quintet. We got to the club just as the band completing their soundcheck. Charlie came offstage and Rich introduced us. I gave Charlie a copy of the book, which included a chapter on him, and he said, "Did you sign it?," in his very proper English accent. I told him, of course I did. We made a little small talk about drums, and then we had dinner and stayed for the show. Charlie played great.

I was coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel, and said to myself, "Charlie Watts asked me for my autograph. What the hell is wrong with this picture?!"

Beautiful story! You confirm everything I've ever heard about Charlie: a gentleman, humble, respectful of everyone. The fact that he asked that you sign your book is just another of the many testimonies to Charlie's character.

He knew EXACTLY what he was doing. He was showing YOU respect by communicating that your signature had value.

Fantastic story mate.. You have to be so proud of that one. Epic.. 🙏🏻

Great story, Bob. That was Charlie... An unbelievably kind and humble man. I saw him at the Blue Note during that run as well. Fantastic.

I have a million Charlie stories, but I promise to limit it to one for now... :) After I left Zildjian in 2013, I stayed in regular contact with Charlie. I'd see him in London when I'd visit, and he would always extend an invitation to see the Stones when they were on tour, either personally, or through Don McAulay, his tech. And we'd speak by phone... He'd ask how my band was doing, if we were working much, etc.

This photo was taken at a private show the Stones played for the Kraft family, the owners of the New England Patriots, in October 2016. Charlie was kind enough to call me the day before and invite me. I was chatting with him in his dressing room before the show about vintage drums and cymbals and life. At some point he said, "I need to talk to Ronnie. Come with me to his dressing room." So we go to Ronnie Wood's dressing room and Charlie re-introduces me to Ronnie, and he says, "Oh yeah, the Zildjian guy!" and Charlie quickly replied, "Not anymore. He quit. Now he plays them." Not long after, Keith walks in, reaches his hand out with a big smile and says, "Keith." Charlie made the introduction and I had to keep it together! I remember driving home after the show thinking that Charlie acknowledged me as a drummer, not a guy who worked in the music business. Pretty mind blowing considering he was the reason I became a drummer in the first place. I miss him. 🙏❤️

CW me Foxboro 2016.jpg

Great story, Bob. That was Charlie... An unbelievably kind and humble man. I saw him at the Blue Note during that run as well. Fantastic.

I have a million Charlie stories, but I promise to limit it to one for now... :) After I left Zildjian in 2013, I stayed in regular contact with Charlie. I'd see him in London when I'd visit, and he would always extend an invitation to see the Stones when they were on tour, either personally, or through Don McAulay, his tech. And we'd speak by phone... He'd ask how my band was doing, if we were working much, etc.

This photo was taken at a private show the Stones played for the Kraft family, the owners of the New England Patriots, in October 2016. Charlie was kind enough to call me the day before and invite me. I was chatting with him in his dressing room before the show about vintage drums and cymbals and life. At some point he said, "I need to talk to Ronnie. Come with me to his dressing room." So we go to Ronnie Wood's dressing room and Charlie re-introduces me to Ronnie, and he says, "Oh yeah, the Zildjian guy!" and Charlie quickly replied, "Not anymore. He quit. Now he plays them." Not long after, Keith walks in, reaches his hand out with a big smile and says, "Keith." Charlie made the introduction and I had to keep it together! I remember driving home after the show thinking that Charlie acknowledged me as a drummer, not a guy who worked in the music business. Pretty mind blowing considering he was the reason I became a drummer in the first place. I miss him. 🙏❤️

View attachment 134856
Some heroes are worth meeting, especially when they are a friend…thanks for sharing @John DeChristopher:) 👍

View attachment 134856
Great story, John. I have always wanted to meet Keith and Ronnie, two of my favorite guitar players.

John, I told my story about Charlie To Steve Maxwell, and his response was, "That was Charlie for you."

I wish I'd had more time to talk with Charlie. As mentioned, I was with Rich King that night, and had to wait in his hotel lobby while Rich went to his room. I wanted to go up there so badly. I remember Rich telling me that Charlie hated air conditioning and kept all the windows in his room closed with the A/C off in the middle of a very hot NYC summer.

Charlie's one of the biggest inspirations alongside Levon Helm - talk about the classiest and coolest legends in the history of rock. It's great hearing y'all stories about him and it makes me happy Charlie is appreciated - I feel like many players overlook him but to me Charlie is the epitome of a drummer who felt the music and dynamics of what a live rock band should be. One of my favorite examples is Sympathy for the Devil from Get Your Ya-Yas Out - Charlie really shines on what made the Stones the Stones which is that jagged and chaotic jam energy that's near primal.

Levon Helm was a real gentleman also. He was playing at a club called Bodle's Opera House in Chester, NY years ago, during the time he was being treated for throat cancer. His daughter Amy was doing all the singing. Levon just played drums and mandolin. His voice was a very hoarse croak at that point, but we sat and talked for about a half hour. Levon autographed one of my Band CDs and invited me up to his house in Woodstock. I never made it, but I'm sure it would have been memorable had I gone.

I have great memories of Vic Firth, his contribution to the drum stick industry has been gigantic!
He was a great musician, educator, author and a wonderful guy.
EVERYONE loved Vic!
Happy Birthday!

Libro Vic Firth.jpg

Alex Sanguinetti Vic Firth.jpg

Back