Gretsch VS. Ludwig Shootout!

Who will win? Who will reign supreme?
pepper GIF

Been playing Ludwig kits my entire life..big drums..smaller near jazz size sets..6 ply 3 ply with support hoops etc. They all sounded pretty good. I've got a set of turquoise sparkle renowns with the Brooklyn style hoops?..not diecast. The selling point was that the shell pack had an 8x12 not 9..it was a sparkle..18x22 not 16..the 14x16 almost had me looking further but?..against my gut I got the shell pack. It's in my basement and like a retired fighter I'm getting ready to play one last time. If the kit doesn't impress me I'll post it all OVER the forum. My basement could make a 57 lespaul through a 100 watt stack sound like a banjo so when it's time to hit the stage or even start rehearsing again it will be a no holds barred review.

For some reason, the pitch goes up (or down) at one of the lugs when turning the other tension rods, even if the rod at that lug is loose and not touching the hoop. Could be a slightly warped hoop I suppose. It's at one of the lugs where the suspension is attached. I work around it but it really bothers me. The 12" doesn't do it so I don't think it's a 5-lug "thing".

Is that anything like what you're experiencing?

It is not actually! I just can't get it to stay in tune. I tried leather washers thanks to another member of this forum that actually lives in my town and gave me a bunch - but I'm going to try some kind of lug locking device next.

I had this issue with my PDP 8 and 10" toms. They just didn't like anything lower than high tuning, or the lugs would back out. Ended up using a bit of removable thread locker and things improved.

It is not actually! I just can't get it to stay in tune. I tried leather washers thanks to another member of this forum that actually lives in my town and gave me a bunch - but I'm going to try some kind of lug locking device next.
That's unfortunate, Nicholas.

My Renowns like to settle into a tuning and then they stay there forever, but they do drop a bit from where I initially set them. I bought some blue Loctite a few months ago but never got around to using it. It might be just what you need.
I had this issue with my PDP 8 and 10" toms. They just didn't like anything lower than high tuning, or the lugs would back out. Ended up using a bit of removable thread locker and things improved.
Timely response as just today I changed the intervals between my Renown toms to match a dynamite tuning I have been using on my Ludwig and DW kits. I dropped the floor tom lower but because I'm using 4ths between drums, that pushed my 10" up substantially higher, where it sounds great.

I'll hit the threads with a little Loctite if they drop much from where they are now. Kit sounds killer and I want to preserve that sound.

Back