Good Bass Drum to compliment Gretsch Brooklyn

Funkifize23

Hey yall!

I've had a Gretsch Brooklyn Bop kit for a while and I'm looking to get a bigger bass drum for some recording projects (probably 20" or 22"). In Australia there are some pretty big shortages on American drums at the moment, so I'm considering getting a bass drum from a different kit that can fit the sound of the Brooklyn.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a bass drum that might work/sound well with the tone and resonance of the Brooklyn kits?
Thanks!

In the USA, add-on drums are usually very expensive. I can only imagine what they cost in Australia.

Even if you buy a cheaper make/model of kick drum, it would be kinda pricey. It might make the best sense to buy a used drum kit and use the kick from that.

If you could tell us what bass drums or kits are available to you, then we can tell you which one is best?
Thanks for responding! From what I can find (used), there are Pearl Masters maple kits, Gretsch Renowns and Catalina Maples. I can find a Masters maple bass drum, but other than that there aren't many used bass drums up for sale.
Thanks!

You said you wanted the bass drum for recording purposes. The Brooklyn has 30 degree bearing edges and maple/poplar plys.
Maybe you should be looking for a vintage bass drum. Slingerland or Ludwig. Something pre 1970 with rounded bearing edges.
Something with a nice low boom and a lot of tone.

You said you wanted the bass drum for recording purposes. The Brooklyn has 30 degree bearing edges and maple/poplar plys.
Maybe you should be looking for a vintage bass drum. Slingerland or Ludwig. Something pre 1970 with rounded bearing edges.
Something with a nice low boom and a lot of tone.

This.

I have the Brooklyn and if it were me, I would be looking for exactly what is described above.

An all maple kick might be fine. 45 degree bearing edges might be fine. If I was doing it though, I would hold out for something Maple Poplar and something closer to that 30 degree edge if possible.

I have no idea what 3 ply Ludwigs or Slingerlands have for bearing edges, but I have owned a 20" Slingerland in the past and my impression is that it would fit.

I also have the Pearl Masters. It wouldn't be my first choice as a companion to the Brooklyn.

Hey yall!

I've had a Gretsch Brooklyn Bop kit for a while and I'm looking to get a bigger bass drum for some recording projects (probably 20" or 22"). In Australia there are some pretty big shortages on American drums at the moment, so I'm considering getting a bass drum from a different kit that can fit the sound of the Brooklyn.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a bass drum that might work/sound well with the tone and resonance of the Brooklyn kits?
Thanks!

If it's for recordings and you want to sorta match sounds of rest of kit, I'd try a cheap stencil kit bass drum. One of bands I'm playing with, we practice at guitar players house. He's a recording engineer. The kit at his house is an old 60's stencil kit. The bass drum sounds great in his studio and when mixed for recordings it's amazing. Should match sound of your kit. Amazing cheap solution.

I'd look for a Ludwig 6 ply. Maple/poplar straight shell construction. They ran 1976 to 1998.

Earlier 3 ply shells are not only more expensive (collectable), but they have re-rings, and so therefore it's a whole different shell construction. And very few of these shells are actually maple/poplar/maple. Most are mahogany/poplar/maple. Lovely drums with a great sound, but if you're looking for something "close" to the Brooklyn, the 3 ply, I don't think, is it.

Back