GK Ultraphones

They are nowhere near my Focal or Audeze, which I use in the studio when not drumming, but they do the job and protect my ears.
Just wish GKN would up the audio quality.
Do the Focal or Audeze have the same level of sound isolation as the Ultraphones? Really curious.

Nothing like.
I only use the GKN when drumming. they are very good at what they do. I just think they could improve the sound a bit - not a big deal at all playing live, but would be nice in the studio environment.

7506s are OK drivers and they were great in about 1998 but they should get something a bit more up-to-date now. I remember the pair my Grandad had and using them a lot to listen to his CDs when I was a kid.

With that said, you’re very unlikely to be mixing at the same time as playing so having a reasonable level of sound quality as your foldback is more than acceptable for the vast majority of people.

With that said, you’re very unlikely to be mixing at the same time as playing so having a reasonable level of sound quality as your foldback is more than acceptable for the vast majority of people.
I never said anything about 'mixing'. In the studio it's great to be inspired by the audio - the backing track and maybe your drums.
For live, just any kind of decent audible monitoring is all you need.
Would be nice if they did a 'pro' or 'deluxe' edition, with some better hi-fi drivers. As it is, they are workmanlike, which yes, is ok for most people, but could be better on studio days IMHO.

Even if you put in the Focal drivers the depth and tone would diminish in the isolation setting. It’s the nature of the environment they are in. The only way to overcome would be to build custom drivers that are highly EQd to the headset. You’d have to flatten the signal so to speak, cutting mods, boosting lows, etc. you still wouldn’t have the dimension and depth, but they would be better.

I think the GKs are as close as we’re going to get without anyone really focusing on developing a set with the exacting isolation needs. The market is so small the price of the headsets would be outrageously higher than the GKs.

You sound like you know what you are talking about.
Obviously IEM's can be fantastic hi-fi sounding, and very isolating. I assumed something similar could be achieved with over the ear cans.

I never said anything about 'mixing'. In the studio it's great to be inspired by the audio - the backing track and maybe your drums.
For live, just any kind of decent audible monitoring is all you need.
Would be nice if they did a 'pro' or 'deluxe' edition, with some better hi-fi drivers. As it is, they are workmanlike, which yes, is ok for most people, but could be better on studio days IMHO.

Not much to add, just posting because I’m in complete agreement with this. I like them , but I think for 250 they can, or should sound better. And I’ve been using them for close to 30 years.

You sound like you know what you are talking about.
Obviously IEM's can be fantastic hi-fi sounding, and very isolating. I assumed something similar could be achieved with over the ear cans.
It’s exactly it. Having the driver that close to your eardrum is why they sound so good. You pull that driver out of the ear canal and it’ll sound tinny and more tinny the further it’s moved. It’s part of the battle for decent sounding over the ears. You have to be able to move air, but the isolation is what prevents that movement.

Last edited:
I would love to move to something over-the-ear, but I just don't like the way they look when playing live. I have a large head (I wear an xxl baseball hat and a 7-7/8 cowboy hat) and adding more mass to my large gourd of a noggin is the last thing I need to do.

In-ears for live all the way! The set I use can’t be considered audiophile by any means, but they get the job done and I can keep the volume low. Most of what I need on stage is just some definition. It’s mostly chaos on stage unless everyone is using in-ears and no monitors. In that case, they still work. Practice is way different for me in a 14x14 foot room with high SPLs.

Not an issue with pads and L80s, so mostly use my Sony ope back headphones for that. Even then I can’t hear my drums, so I pipe them back in through a mixer. The GKs are my go too when I play with the idiots I do now and again. They have zero concept of safe volumes.

I'm nervous about having something right inside my ear. I play live with -25db plugs and over the ear headphones (GKN). One or two other drummers play with headphones on. Yes, people are prejudiced against the look, and IEMs are much more widely accepted.

Does the heavy cord not bother anyone else? The Extreme cord is always out of my way, but the GK cord just hangs on my shoulder. It feels heavy and in the way. I really don't want to tape it to my back.

Does the heavy cord not bother anyone else? The Extreme cord is always out of my way, but the GK cord just hangs on my shoulder. It feels heavy and in the way. I really don't want to tape it to my back.
3DA4F5DD-69AF-4D98-ABCB-4DA8432EE38D.jpeg
I use a small version of this on my iem cable clipped to my shirt or jacket, because I hate that feeling of the buds being pulled out of my ears. The clips included on most cables don’t last long. On the GK, you can run the cable through one of the metal loops and clip the thing to your shirt.

Well, it works with IEMs, but the can cord won’t fit. At the moment, I’m wrapping the cord pas the adjust knob on the back of my throne. Oy

I see drummers using over ear all the time, at least in concert videos on YouTube. There are also a lot of “recording studio” videos out there where everyone is wearing headphones. Dave Grohl aside, I think it’s getting more and more acceptable. BUT, the GK’s are not pretty at all. I love them, but would want to wear something smaller or at least all black when playing live.

(Edit to say that’s just my opinion... I play all acoustic so we just wear musician ear plugs.)

I see drummers using over ear all the time, at least in concert videos on YouTube. There are also a lot of “recording studio” videos out there where everyone is wearing headphones. Dave Grohl aside, I think it’s getting more and more acceptable. BUT, the GK’s are not pretty at all. I love them, but would want to wear something smaller or at least all black when playing live.

(Edit to say that’s just my opinion... I play all acoustic so we just wear musician ear plugs.)
Yeah...not the prettiest. But I still wish I discovered them years ago.

Back