DW Slingerland

htkfred

Hey I know somebody must have an early/prototype photo of the new DW owned Slingerland drums? Does anyone Know where they will be built? Oxnard,CA?

I’m sure the pandemic didn’t help, but DW has been quiet on the Slingerland news too. I would think they’d have some prototype to show at the 2021 NAMM show. I grew up on Slingerlands but I would think DW can always find a way to improve on them.

I loved my old Slingerlands, but that tom mount was the worst one ever. That could easily be improved. Even the Pearl tom mounts are much better. Peace and goodwill.

I loved what DW did with Gretsch, Slingerland, hey 1979 was the last real Slingerland I bought. COB 14x5 for &100, nice. Niles Ill.

I loved my old Slingerlands, but that tom mount was the worst one ever. That could easily be improved. Even the Pearl tom mounts are much better. Peace and goodwill.

I actually liked the Super Set O Matic version. The regular one and those that came before I agree were atrocious. But the Super gave me infinite positions for my toms. In fact, I'm still using it today.

I actually liked the Super Set O Matic version. The regular one and those that came before I agree were atrocious. But the Super gave me infinite positions for my toms. In fact, I'm still using it today.
I was pre Set-O-Matic and concur. It was probably what pushed me to putting the tom in a snare stand!

you mean gibson actually sold them instead of hoarding them for tax purposes? wow

Still can't wait to see what DW do with the brand, whenever that release will be.

The longer it takes the more time I have to save for my second Radio King snare, so it's all good.

Patience is a virtue, especially with the current pandemic in mind.

On paper, DW was the best possible thing that could have happened to Slingerland. They make quality drums, seem pretty faithful when they try to reproduce older products, and marketing? They are second to none. I personally enjoy their hardware more than their drums, but I'm sure they will not waste our time.

Dan

Wow a lot of DW hate, I like what they did with Gretsch. the Slingerlands will cost though.I'd like to see an honest 3 ply Mahogany /poplar /mahogany and a maple/ poplar with re-rings and updated hardware, 1.6 COB rims, lightweight BD tom mount, and spurs. light tom legs .under $1500

Wow a lot of DW hate, I like what they did with Gretsch. the Slingerlands will cost though.I'd like to see an honest 3 ply Mahogany /poplar /mahogany and a maple/ poplar with re-rings and updated hardware, 1.6 COB rims, lightweight BD tom mount, and spurs. light tom legs .under $1500
I don’t think DW acquired Slingerland to put out budget drums. In order for Slingerland to be the hip new thing, it has to be somewhat boutique to survive in the market. Anybody can make a mid-level kit these days. I wouldn’t subject the Slingerland name to that. That’s why they have PDP.

I think if Slingerland is going to be successful they need to focus on what made them famous. If they have their name slapped on a budget or intermediate line right out of the gate it'll bring back a lot of bad memories of how they (and Rogers) have been treated in the past, and DW is smarter than that.

Put me down as concurring that DW will do Slingerland the right way. If you watch the video from DW informing Don Lombardi they acquired the company and some of the subsequent short interviews where he talks about Slingerland, he certainly has a reverence and fondness for the brand, it's history, and what it means to him.

Considering things from Don's life timeline and that he's on the back end of life. restoring Slingerland to glory, the way they should be made, and fixing legacy problematic issues, could very well be his personal crown jewel. I'm not saying he's leaving the Earth anytime soon, just that considering all the pet projects John Good was given the green-light on, I can see Don saying, "This one's mine and we're gonna do it right."

Last edited:
Ok thank you, this is my first post. Nobody has a Pic? I'd love to see the Radio King, and see if they just cut the Bearing edge into the single ply? like the DW single ply, or add the solid re-ring? That's the Question, I'm sure they will fix the tom mount

Back