- Drum Recording Problems -

ChilledHeat

Okay, don't use forums much so if this is in the wrong place my bad.
I'm going to get straight into it..

I am wanting to start recording some drum tracks etc and i don't know where to start.
I've researched as much as i can find online and i know certain points but need some more so if anyone can answer this, it would be great.

First off, i've established that i need mic's (looking at a starting set for around £100-£150), a mixing board (looking at an Alesis Multimix 16 channel USB mixer) and havn't decided the software yet.

so..about the mixer.. is this simply a plug everything in the right place and away you go kind of thing? (obviously taking into account getting the mic placement and levels correct)

after the mics are plugged in, the mixer is plugged to the computer and the sufficient channels are open, will it record all 5-7 channels or am i missing something?

also what software would you reccommend on a budget?

cheers

hi ChilledHeat. Welcome!

I'm sure more responses will follow, but, consider this. Do you live near any bigger music stores? If so, go in and talk to some of the guys in there. Let them know what you can spend, and, they should work with you. Get to know them, and they'll help you any way they can. Most of us sound guys are half nerds and we don't mind talking about our craft..

There are many different directions you can go with this. hands on is really your best bet. Go test this stuff, listen to it in the music store. You get an idea of what you need.

thanks for the advice, but unfortunately where i live is rather remote, and the only music store is made predominately of guitars and guitarists, so all my drum equipment etc is bought and posted online..

Last edited:
For software, try www.cockos.com/reaper/ . It may not be as intuitive/easy for a newcomer yet offers stunning performance and flexibility. Effect/etc are handled in the 64-bit domain and it can handle just about any plug-in you throw at it, yet does come with good 'normal' ones many people use. It can also convert your files to an abundace of formats from/to wav, flac, 320 mp3, etc.

As for mic setup, i'm probably the wrong guy to answer that as only use two for ultra high-end audio (24-bit/192) with an audience that literally has $$,$$$$ audio systems. For the usual commercial sound, virtually all drummers/audio technicians use a whole plethora of mics.

Chilled Heat, welcome to drummerworld, the coolest place for drummers on the internet. You are in the correct place to find the answers.

Note to admins: The home recording thing should be turned into a sticky, i see this same thread started a couple times a month.

Read all of these posts to find the info you're looking for:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837&highlight=home+recording

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45851&highlight=home+recording&page=2

post #2 on this thread is great:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42270&highlight=home+recording&page=2

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45335&highlight=home+recording

so theoretically, i buy a 7 piece mic set and the mixer. open say..Audacity where do i go from there? can i open up 7 channels and record them simultaneously?

no not with a USB mixer. it only sends one stereo(meaning left and right) mix to your PC. USB cant handle much more than that. look at things like presonus firepod, M Audio profire, and echo audiofire 4, 8 or 12. you need a firewire equipped device to be able to record all you tracks separately. as for mics... go for whatever is most affordable. unless you intend to become a serious recording engineer, you'll be totally happy with the cheaper mic packages. for sure.

I'm no pro at recording yet, but for recording drums (and guitars) I just hooked up my Tascam US-1641. It's a cheaper version of the PreSonus Firepod by 100$

It's got 8 mic pre's so its ideal for recording drums.

Back