Drum Heads

gkos

Anyone here play Gretsch Renown Drums. Wondering if you use clear or coated heads. I'm using Evans coated wondering what the clear 7 mml 2 ply sound like appreciate anyones thoughts Thanks

Coated Ambassadors are what I use on my Renowns. They came with Clear Emperors, and they sounded great, but I prefer the sound and feel of 1 ply heads.

The Coated Ambassadors are perfect for the sound I'm going for, and I also wouldn't hesitate to use Evans G1s.

Last edited:
It all depends on what sound you are going for. When in doubt, get either coated Ambassadors or Coated emperors over clear ambassadors.

I've played 3 sets of Renowns with three different kinds of heads, and they all sounded terrific. As long as you don't get something like Evans Hydraulics or something off brand, you should be fine.

Yeah Ive tried all just curious above the evans clear its only 50.00 so not a big deal to see if I like them and if not I can just switch back thanks

I tried several different heads on my RN1's. For a lower fundamental and deep, juicy tones I use Aquarian Performance 2 clear heads. If you want a more "Great Gretsch Sound" attack Remos Ambassadors top and bottom will do nicely. One thing I love about my Renowns is that they sound great no matter what heads you use, just different.

When I had my renown, I tried clear G1, too ringy, coated G1 : perfect match.

Back