Drum Fill I'm Trying To Learn

Realto619

View attachment Once-PearlJam-Fill.mp3

I'm trying to learn the attached drum fill but I can't figure out the timing. Fortunately, I can play it much closer that I can transcribe it, but it would help to be able to visualize it better if I could see it written out.

My feeble attempt to score it

I'm treating the open hi-hat at the beginning as if it happens on beat four of the previous measure and the actual fill as its own measure. The timing seems like it may be a triplet feel, but I'm not too good at deciphering that in this instance. If you want to edit the above link, go right ahead since it's not even close to accurate right now. If it's actually a triplet, I can adjust the structure of it if you're not familiar with the site.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Last edited:
it's a mixture of triplet and straight 8ths
SLOW it down to 0.5 speed AND LOOP IT
7/4
trip-e-let
trip-e-let
trip-e-let
two sixteens -rest- flam
rest-rest -flam

in my opinion it's partially "a mistake"..
not well executed -the first flam is rushed- the last flam is late- I'd fire him or ask him to sober up : )

xxx xxx xxx xx_x' _ _ x'

RLR LRL RLR LR - flam - - flam

it's AI horrible - the cymbal is out of sync- never heard it on any Thad Jones Mel Lewis - Big Band record - or any live living record - in 55 years,

Last edited:
Here’s a quick and dirty crude drawing of how I heard it.

IMG_0870.jpeg

The snare and hi hat together is a pickup note on 4, and the fill is a 4 beat phrase of mostly 16th notes with a snare flam on 4.

Last edited:
SLOW it DOWN to 0.5 speed AND LOOP IT

trip-e-let
trip-e-let
trip-e-let
two sixteens -rest- flam
rest-rest -flam

View attachment 143592

The snare and hi hat together is a pickup note on 4, and the fill is a 4 beat phrase of mostly 16th notes with a snare flam on 4.
Sounds pretty spot on to me. Only thing I would add...
...pretty sure the snare drum plays on beat 2 - basically there is no tie - but the note after the accent is much much softer - like lots of the other non-accented notes.

There are no triplets here.
did you try Slowing it down and looping it?

Try it to 0.5 and Loop

Then tell me

you can right click arrow and left click three dots
to adjust speed to half and Loop

I may have misplaced the Crash and it goes first
it's so artificial but either way

definitely triplets I hear
7 quarter note total length ...phrase starting with the low tone
ending with the "cymbal crash"..

gotta put it on LOOP

Last edited:
I'm starting to like it
I'll record my version tomorrow,,,

It's a swing phrase it's a big band fill

remember: Loop it

Still as fakey inaccurate and artificial as all get-out..
It would make a good-bad- fade out.
It's horrible. It's horrible son.
a machine is playing that not a human dollar to donut

Last edited:
Sounds pretty spot on to me. Only thing I would add...
...pretty sure the snare drum plays on beat 2 - basically there is no tie - but the note after the accent is much much softer - like lots of the other non-accented notes.
You could very well be right about that, Dave. I was listening on my phone without earbuds or cans.
It’s close
Dave pointed out the one spot I thought I could have missed and I think he’s right. So ignore that tie to beat 2.

And thx for confirmation. I don’t often write drum music.

View attachment 143592

Here is what I hear. The bass drum note could also be written as being accented.

Edit : I changed the image. Obviously I wasn't awake this morning, there was no small tom on the left hand accents.

Edit : I erased the image.

Last edited:
when it's on loop that pick up quarter sounds "last"

and you are accenting every third- can be written too as triplets

It's a big band fill
I have plans for it- tomorrow- if it's not too cold in the Old K Garage..

It's a big band fill
You don't get it, I'm sorry, but you may come up with something different and interesting if you play it as triplets.

also your beat three eighth note written that way- I think is "too slow'..too delayed

You don’t get it.
I'm sorry sir I get exactly what you're saying

What don't I get
How can I not "get it" I'm getting the same thing you are except I say LOOP IT and Cut the SPEED and you see it's a Phrase I see differently

It's a big band fill
You’d have to eliminate the hat/snare hits and make the 8th note in beat 3 a 16th. Might use a tom and not bass for that one but I suppose you could jazz it up.

However, the dude wanted to see if he transcribed it correctly, and it’s painfully obvious it’s 4/4, so for topic purposes, it’s a 4/4 lick.

Last edited:
Back