Do you remember these?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
These drums with some eccentric designs came around in the mid 70's

Staccato drums and North drums...

Do some of you played these and/or are still playing them? If so, how do they sound?

Attachments

• staccato.jpg
    staccato.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 603
  • NORTHkit.jpg
    NORTHkit.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,061
I played a couple of Staccato kits back in the day, never played a North kit. Although absolutely not my thing, in a pub/bar rock gig setting unmic'd, they're pretty unbeatable. Flat as witches tits, but they sure cut through. I kinda like the look too :)

Yeah, though I never "owned a pair" of either Staccato or North, I put quite a few hours behind both kits. The big downside, you need custom road cases for these drums. Very large custom road cases. So, a $2K drum kit wound up costing $4K, by the time you got cases for them. Then, you needed a really big rig to transport them. Like KIS said, in a bar/club setting, un-mic'd, they cut thru ... and getting into larger venues, just plain dangerous cannonfire drums.​
I probably would have bought a set, if it wasn't for the case/transport problem. So, I went the clear Vistalite route.​

I couldn't imagine playing out with these. The people pointing at you and the kit all night long.. would drive me nuts. Attract too much attention..

Nothing screams "hey look at me" more than these stupid looking things. If you can't find the sound you are looking for in round drums like the rest of us...play a guitar!

Nothing screams "hey look at me" more than these stupid looking things. If you can't find the sound you are looking for in round drums like the rest of us...play a guitar!

The purpose of this thread was from an historical point of view, I have seen some in the shops back then, but I've never played or heard any of these, so I just wanted to know how the sounded, and because they're a bit unothodox kits, it's worth talking a bit about them, whatever you like them or not, they're part of the history of the drum manufacturing.

I do not want to buy or own such a set, my "round drums" just suits me fine :)

Having said that, the North set are "round" drums....

@Andy, I thought the Staccato would sound a bit like you've described... :)

When I said "you" i didnt mean you personally, sorry about that.

They still make random appearances here and there. The last time I saw a Staccato kit was in Rammstein's "America" music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydlX7c8HbY

They certainly look distinctly different, but I can't say I'm a fan of the sound. This is admittedly based on only a few video and audio clips though, and I've never played them myself.

They still make random appearances here and there. The last time I saw a Staccato kit was in Rammstein's "America" music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yydlX7c8HbY

They certainly look distinctly different, but I can't say I'm a fan of the sound. This is admittedly based on only a few video and audio clips though, and I've never played them myself.

I was about to quote that video. And that's not his kit, it was made for the video due to the whole space shuttle look. So it's essentially mimed.

I've only ever seen one in person. And that was a couple of years ago in a music shop in Kettering. I think it's shut down now. It was just labelled as a vintage kit and up for sale at £800.

Love the look. But oddly enough, I never saw either one in person. Drummers are a traditional bunch and I guess those drums should be lucky to have existed at all, eh?

Single headed drums are on their way back, I say. I remember meeting Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez (Oingo Boingo) years ago at a club in L.A., and he had some early DW drums that he converted to single-headed toms (took the lugs off and everything) and they all piled into the bass drum which he carried like a bag of groceries. I was a little shocked that he'd take these beautiful drums and expose them to damage like that, but he was still the loudest guy playing that night even without bottom heads!

When I said "you" i didnt mean you personally, sorry about that.

No need to feel sorry Tfit, it was a pretty ok comment..:) ...and I wish I could play guitar!

A friend of mine just got a complete set of North drums, I'm definitely going to try them out over my christmas break.

Cool! So are we looking for a full sonic report in the new year?

I saw those in the White Limo music video by Foo Fighters and thought they were fake and it was only a joke haha. I had no idea they really exist

Back