Did you ever do marching band/drum corps?

It's a drop stick. Didn't think of it for spacing, it just worked out that way I guess. Wisconsin Marching Band wasn't very "corps" oriented but it was still intense and a hell of a lot of fun. A MAJOR part of my college experience.

oh yeah...military style-ish right? Just like Ohio State...

Major band rivalry. We hated Ohio State. Still sticks with me today (LOL). The USC of the Big 10.

I did not march at Ohio State, but had tons of friends who did, and they always said the same. They hated Michigan, but despised Wisconsins band...they only wished a loss on Michigan, but wished death on you guys

at the time, I despised military style bands being a huge drum corps fan...and am a Notre Dame fan anyways, so I was neutral about OSU

but then I "grew up" and came to realize that all marching styles feed into each other, and each have their own "coolness". I actually ended up working for OSU as their tenor tech from 2008-2013 (and always had my ND t shirt on underneath my TBDBITL polo shirt on game days).

???
The biggest damn balls in the league?
That boy done broke its third leg?
To be determined by incredibly tiny ladies?
Tacos be delicious, burritos is too lol?

The Best Damned Band In The Land

....a moniker given to them in the 70's, when it might have been partially true...but not so much anymore. They are pretty good - in fact WAY better than in the 70's, but there are still many bands that are at least equal to their level

The Best Damned Band In The Land

....a moniker given to them in the 70's, when it might have been partially true...but not so much anymore. They are pretty good - in fact WAY better than in the 70's, but there are still many bands that are at least equal to their level
Oh okay. I got pretty close with my first one lol.

I did not march at Ohio State, but had tons of friends who did, and they always said the same. They hated Michigan, but despised Wisconsin band...they only wished a loss on Michigan, but wished death on you guys

HaHaHaHaHa!!!! Absolutely LOVE this!!!! That little nugget is the best thing I've heard all week.

I think it was 1980, Wisconsin played at Ohio State. The band went on that trip. It was pouring down rain most/all of the game. We did our halftime show regardless, just like it was a sunny day. And to beat, Wisconsin won against OSU that day which was unheard of in those days. One of my most memorable Wisconsin Band events. I still get chills thinking about those college game days.

That's me, percussion section leader, right behind the drum major.

Andy Wis Band 2a.jpg

Last edited:
HaHaHaHaHa!!!! Absolutely LOVE this!!!! That little nugget is the best thing I've heard all week.

I think it was 1980, Wisconsin played at Ohio State. The band went on that trip. It was pouring down rain most/all of the game. We did our halftime show regardless, just like it was a sunny day. And to beat, Wisconsin won against OSU that day which was unheard of in those days. One of my most memorable Wisconsin Band events. I still get chills thinking about those college game days.

That's me, percussion section leader, right behind the drum major.

View attachment 99078

so, i was also at that game....as a Boy Scout volunteer usher in C deck right at the top of the stadium....small world!!

my best friend's dad was Paul Droste...the OSU band director at the time. We used to get to hang out at practices when we were younger - like right in that era. I remember that old turf field - that was "revolutionary" at the time....it was real stinky, especially after rain. Those days were when I decided I was a marching band performer/ fan for sure

Concert band, Orchestra 8 - 12 grade. Did n't have a marching band.

As a note ,I got accepted to WVU to study percussion ,but my I couldn't afford the out of state tuition.
I marched with an in state college marching band and it was dreadful.
The college at the time was California state college(California Pa) and the fight song was California here I come.
I lasted about 4 weeks and just quit as that band just sucked big time.

WVU was a power house marching band.
Actually I was one of the poorer kids around having musicians for parents :D. My next door neighbor from 1982 until I left for college was Richard Dent, Super Bowl MVP in 1985. We never belonged to the Country Club or golf course. However it was a public school system with very limited budget. I remember driving across town with a couple of other drum line friends to another school in the county (actually a poorer section) to get their rejected tritoms so we could piece together enough gear for our growing corps. Volunteer moms made our drum line uniforms (which were different from the rest of the band) and we had a great band director who helped us put it all together in with bandaids and chewing gum. Nylon snare straps and white masking tape. BUT we all had a drive to be excellent and we were. It was great

I have not looked at that video, but the top #1 DCI of 70's has to be SC Vanguard shows ending with the Bottle Dance. I'll never forget sitting in stands at a stop they made in Thousand Oaks and seeing that live in 1975. Best ever let alone 1970's. I tried out for their drumline but man I was sure outta my league. They only took 2nd place at championships with it in '75, but came back with the Bottle Dance in '78 and won.

Last edited:
I played quads my senior year.

I played tenor sax every other year though because we had a full percussion section and I didn't feel the need to displace anyone (plus I was 1st All State sax....humble brag)

I also did drumset whenever needed since we had a full line of drummers that all lacked in coordination :) So pep band, etc.

I have not looked at that video, but the top #1 DCI of 70's has to be SC Vanguard shows ending with the Bottle Dance. I'll never forget sitting in stands at a stop they made in Thousand Oaks and seeing that live in 1975. Best ever let alone 1970's.

'75 SCV I believe had the famous ticless show-- a technically perfect performance, except for a broken tenor mallet during a suspended cymbal roll. My main instructor in corps was in that drum line-- Allan Kristensen.

HUGE Drum Corps fanboi here!!!!!!

I have now been teaching at the high school I graduated from for 30+ years, and our program is a corps style program. I have had many students march in DCI and WGI. In 2008, i had 6 students in the top 12 corps at DCI Finals. One in Phantom Regiment, who won that year. Phantom is my most favorite Corps!!

I also directed, wrote/write music and visual for some Independent Indoor drumlines in the past...as well as the one we have here at school.

I have seen the videos that you posted of your work, and I am very impressed! It is wonderful that you are able to share your passion with young people and provide them with a positive activity that will serve them will no matter what they end up doing with their lives.

BTW, how has COVID effected the band program at your school? My daughter does high school orchestra, and it has pretty much come to a stop, : (

I have seen the videos that you posted of your work, and I am very impressed! It is wonderful that you are able to share your passion with young people and provide them with a positive activity that will serve them will no matter what they end up doing with their lives.

thanks! I feel so lucky that I am able to do this job, and have those interactions with the kids. AS mentioned before, I did not get to play at that level, so I sort of live vicariously through them. And, since we start in 5th grade, and most of them go all the way through senior year, I get to see them grow up in many ways. I become a 2nd father, or a "crazy uncle" figure to many of them as well. Even through college and beyond...many of my students come back and become techs. I have been to a ton of weddings - often of kids who met int he drumline - and am now old enough to be teaching the kids of some of the students I had in drumline when I first started. That is a HUGE honor.

BTW, how has COVID effected the band program at your school? My daughter does high school orchestra, and it has pretty much come to a stop, : (

So COVID effected where we rehearse more than anything else. In the early summer, we were still not allowed in the school building, so I arranged a day for the kids to all come to school and get their drums. Then, the battery did sectionals at peoples homes: the 4 snares would meet at the one kids house who has a huge side yard; the 2 tenors met at the farm that one lived on; and the 4. basses would meet at a local park central to them. I would be there running things. The front ensemble kids did Zoom meetings to do there stuff, which sort. of sucked b/c they didn't get to play together for a while

When the building opened up to football practicing in July, we started practicing at school, but again, we were only. allowed to be outside...the building was only opened for restroom usage. The wind players joined us for the 2 weeks of August <---they have way more restrictions for how they can play due to the air thing.

We did not have to play at any football games in the fall - thank god (I hate the football games) - and only did 2 contests. That was the weirdest thing...we usually do 7 contests and 9 football games, so we didn't play out as much.

Now that we are inside all the time, only half of the winds are allowed to play at once, so we rotate brass and woodwinds every other day. The drummers play the whole time. Our badn room is huge - about the size of a full sized gym plus - so there is room for the winds to follow spacing protocol pretty well. In t hat aspect, we are lucky. We are one of the only programs in town that are actually getting to play for concert band and jazz band

Back