Desert Island Drum book

fat in the middle

In the spirit of the desert Island Discs, BBC's radio show, what would be your drum book you would take to a desert island if you could only take just one. [you would have your kit there of course] ?
Mine?..... Salsa Guide Book?

I play many different styles of music, but if I could only take one book, it would be either Beyond Bop Drumming or The Jazz Drummer's Workshop. Both awesome books.

...If I had my kit with me,

my book would be the McGyver Guide to converting a drum kit into a speed boat.

Barry

It would have to be "How to turn your drum-kit into a bonfire for signaling ships and aircraft for Dummies"

Last edited:
No contest:

Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials 1.0 or 2.0. Probably 2.0 since that's the one I'm working on now.

HMMMM..Hard one, as I have 3 favs now, but

Pat Petrillo's Hands Grooves & Fills, so that I can work on everything !

I am starting too think that a book on Indian konakol would prove the best results, as it would cover a singing language of groove. Then one could scratch the ideas spawned from this onto a wall of the cave where the kit is set up, and create a new book discovered by future explorers.

I have two books - The Complete Book of Modern Drumming by Norman Grossman (London, Amsco Music Publishing Company, 1972) and Max on Swing by Max Bacon (London: The Premier Drum Co.: 1934).

However, if I was on a desert island I wouldn't want any drum book since I wouldn't have any drums or musos to play with. I might be on the lookout for coconuts, hollow logs and solid sticks to keep me jolly, though :)

I have two books - The Complete Book of Modern Drumming by Norman Grossman (London, Amsco Music Publishing Company, 1972) and Max on Swing by Max Bacon (London: The Premier Drum Co.: 1934).

However, if I was on a desert island I wouldn't want any drum book since I wouldn't have any drums or musos to play with. I might be on the lookout for coconuts, hollow logs and solid sticks to keep me jolly, though :)

I do like the idea of making your own kit there, but the idea was there was one there [for some odd reason]. Never under estimate the local wildlife for jammers!

LOL. Good idea FITM. New age ambience anyone? Maybe a phythm session with crickets?

Many years ago I was alone in a field playing guitar and singing for the cows. If I was getting things right they would look up at me but the very second I lost momentum (often) they'd go back to munching grass.

Trust me, cows are a most exacting audience.

I can't speak for other wildlife, although I guess most of us have seen the vid of the parrot that dances and headbangs to heavy rock.

I would have to be Hands, Grooves and Fills by Pat Petrillo. It has everything in that book!

...plus, it's not huge and thick so I could sneak another one in there if I wanted to.

Back