Demo of song from my upcoming EP

Re: Demo of son from my upcoming EP

Dude it sounds awesome, even coming out of the crappy little excuses for speakers on my laptop.

I almost never make it very far on really heavy stuff, but this was super-cool. Loved your playing and the overall feel of the song. Really pro sounding recording.

Good job, I dig the song. I really wish around my area people would start getting more into this style. A lot of people play metal around me but its mostly like really generic bands that play like 4 breakdowns a song. There is a few band who try to play like djent/prog stuff but they can't and end up just playing heavier stuff on a 7 or 8 string they wasted their money on.

Dang, that was cool!!!

I love it!

Certainly along the lines of what I wish I was doing.

(just don't ruin it by adding scremo or cookie monster vocals for me)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words and the fact you've sat through 8 minutes of music, which is an eternity if you're not keen on the style, so thank you!

I'm pleased you like the production, we own our own recording studio so, there is no pressure when getting our parts down. I think that helps, nothing worse than thinking of money draining away when you are already under pressure and doing a tricky part.

412 - Yeah there is a distinct guitar sound to this djent/prog metal stuff that an 7/8 string alone won't get. You need someone who is a bit of a nerd with their sound and really put the time into attaining that punchy mid guitar sound. It's not an easy sound to get either without some decent gear.
You should maybe put some adverts up or even check out the nearest performing arts college near where you live, see if you can find some like-minded musicians. That's the hardest thing. Fortunately me, the bass player and the guitarist have known each other most of our lives and have always played together. We currently have no singer so the guitarist is doing it and we have help from vocalists from other bands like Novallo and Dan Tompkins of TesseracT/Skyharbour will be putting vocals on one of our tracks but really, we need a permanent singer and it's hard to find someone who just fits. Not just a good singer but someone is on the same wavelength as us.
If your guitarists don't get it now they probably never will so maybe have a look about and see what's out there. Don't let people waste your time if you are not happy. And best of luck!

Wow Chunky, cool work!!
Great sounds and playing throughout, no doubt. Clean but powerful mix!

Personally I wouldn't need the mellow intro. Things really get moving once the heavy guitars set in.

1.08 - yeah! Just superb riffs. Also that follow-up idea from 1.33 - fits perfectly and puts a mad grinning on my face ;-)

Some sections sound as if they're from different songs though. I'm judging on 2 listening rounds, and honestly, when listening for the 2nd time, some parts seemed to fit much getter than the first time.

The first heavy part that felt like it didn't really belong into that track was from 2.10 on. But this is the non-vocal version so the overall impression is going to be somewhat different. There might be more guitar overdubs at parts?

4.08-4.50: Suspense is declining, and while that following clean part has nice ideas I'm missing something, or it takes too long for the solos. And while the solos are definitely totally pro and nice, what really grabbed me most of the whole track were those stunning riffs beginning from 1.08. Overall I think that track is a bit long but that's not the final version.

Geez, why am I even criticising this music?? Just forget what I said ;-)
[I'm one of those people that tend to find something to criticise even if it's something rather good overall... sorry. I should work on this, it's been part of my life/personality.]

PS, listened to it for a 3rd time in a row... ;-) Really enjoying that fat riffing.

Last edited:

Don't apologise Arky, that's your opinion and I appreciate your honesty.

Yeah I wasn't sure what people would make of that riff at 1.08, when I showed the band there was a WTF moment! I'm not overly struck on needless intros either to be honest but, I can't have everything my way. I thought it would be good to just start.

I have to say though I do like the guitar break in the middle of the song. I like the space and size of it. Nice to have a bit of a break from the din! lol.

Imagine the things I could do with that amount of time on stage. Scratch my bum, have a drink, sniff my finger, pick my nose etc etc...

Chunky, your education is showing. Ridiculously difficult and very pro sounding.

I disagree with Arky about the intro - love the impact when the band comes in. I agree with him about the groove changes early in the track - the 1:08 was a beauty.

Am I right to be reminded of Dream Theater by the riffing?

Chunky, your education is showing. Ridiculously difficult and very pro sounding.

I disagree with Arky about the intro - love the impact when the band comes in. I agree with him about the groove changes early in the track - the 1:08 was a beauty.

Am I right to be reminded of Dream Theater by the riffing?

Thanks Polly! Appreciate the kind words and I sure hope we do remind you of Dream Theater, I love those guys so that means a lot to me, thank you!

Dream Theater came to my mind as well. Awesome freakin playing. I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs about what I love about this tune......and I typically don't even listen to this style of music.

Just damn fine stuff overall.

very nice.

I like it. It's better than a lot of the stuff I hear from similar bands, that's for sure :) that said, there are 4 things I'd like to suggest:

1. The ending feels to me like it could use some of the riffs from earlier in the song. Not sure how exactly to fit them in, but hey, it's not my job ;)

2. Inversely, the beginning feels a bit tired in the 3 minute area because it seems like just the same extensive riff progression repeated twice? By the second time we've heard it, I'd wager most people are sort of tired of it.

3. That sudden transition around 4:20 did not work for me and sounded like a totally different song due to the key change. Transposing it into the key of the rest of the song would probably fix that :)

4. The djent riff's second half loses a lot of steam for me on some of the muted notes with considerable space between them. It might be worth trying an overlaid odd-time pattern like many of your peers do.

I have to say, though, it's already superb. I want to hear more!

EDIT: Oh, but another question- the drums had hints of Superior Drummer 2.0 to me. Were they programmed or did you record them?

Last edited:

That was almost a "ballad". I went all the way and it was a little long inthe middle but the slow break was a pleasantly musical break in the metal (for me) and showed a different side of the band. Unbelievable effort in the drumming too- enormous output from you and spot on. It was great.

That riff at 1:08 is ridiculous!!! I really liked the track overall, I agree with Porter that the first half of the song feels a little drawn out when the whole section gets repeated but I did not mind the transition and really liked everything from the second half, the drumming at the end is intense stuff! Killer production too, you can tell a lot of work and passion went into this.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Just to answer some of your questions, the drums were recorded.

The ending of the song is actually the lead over the first riff just played in a big half-time kind of feel and different chords underneath.

The reason the riff order repeats twice is we wanted it to have something resembling a song structure, seens as it has to have vocals on it, verses, chorus etc I thought only 2 lots of each might not be enough for people to 'get it' but we could not repeat it anymore with the song already being long.

The transition is meant to be the way it is and not in the same key so there is a change of feel and mood to it. Just what we were thinking at the time I suppose but, each to their own. lol.

And as for the djent riff, I'm not overly worried about that to be honest seens as that's the riff everyone else seems to like the most. We have more than our fair share of polymeters in our other songs so, it's nice to break the trend and just have a ridiculously long riff without an obvious, textbook syncopation kind of thing.

That said, I AM surprised people dig that riff the most as that was the riff I was most worried about!

Thanks for your input an I'm glad you like it, we have plenty more! Cheers.

It just struck me what it was that I didn't like too much one transition...

That clean part beginning from 4.50... I'd have it start right at 4.47 (right at the end of that distorted section), moving it forward by 1 measure. That's something I would do with my own music when I feel some parts feel too long when listening back. So the difference would be just a few seconds but it changes the impression/listening experience completely IMO. The distorted guitar is faded out quickly enough to have a good idea of the beginning of that clean part so those few seconds can go.

Sometimes I would do the opposite thing - add 1 or 2 quarter notes to the last measure before going into a different song section - it all depends on the context. I don't care for the math aspect and try to let my ears decide.

Incredible bass drum accuracy right there. I like the overall feel too. Your playing is certainly right up there with anything I've heard in this genre. I did notice a distinct lack of bottom end weight. I assume that will be addressed in mastering.

This is really super impressive, & you should be hugely proud, I know I would be (well, I'd be amazed actually :)

Thanks guys, appreciate it! Pretty chuffed with the comment on my bass drum accuracy as it's something that's taken a long time to really nail and I think my technique is a little unique when I compare myself to others in the genre.

So Arky, you think the distorted guitars should ring out longer before the clean part comes in in the middle? I think I'll put that forward to the lads and try it out. Afterall it IS dramatic and big, long hits would be good!

Keep It Simple - Yeah, I'm glad you pointed out the lack of low end, it's something that has bugged us too. We will up it a bit in the master but, we have a new bass sound now, the sound on this track is pretty much ruined (and on a couple of other) as the bass tracks were saved with processing on and far too much of it if you ask me so, you can't get a nice bass sound because of too much distortion.

It is something we will and already have, rectified on newer recordings. We've always been a bit bass shy too in mixes which is something me and the bass player are pushing to fix. It'll never be really prominent in the mix in this style of music but, it could be vastly better than it is here.

Thanks again for the kind words and great input/critique

So Arky, you think the distorted guitars should ring out longer before the clean part comes in in the middle? I think I'll put that forward to the lads and try it out. Afterall it IS dramatic and big, long hits would be good!
I think I wasn't clear enough.

At 4.47 the distorted guitars play that last ringing chord, and that's where you have one full measure (counting 1, 2, 3, 4) until the clean part starts @ 4.50. I would do away with that 'preparation/safety bar' and simply erase that measure/those 3 seconds. So after some editing the clean part would start @ 4.47, exactly when the dist. guitars would play that sustaining chord. (Having those "1 and 2 and 3 and 4" bars / 1 full measure until something new is happening is a pet peeve of mine I think, haha.) And with the new/edited 4.47, the distorted guitars are fading out quickly enough so that the beginning clean part wouldn't get lost sonically.

Last edited:
Back