ddrum DDTI interface cymbals setup

babuz87

Hi guys. I need to play and record drums in my appartament: I have this interface and it works very good whit the ddrum triggers, I'd like to make an hybrid drum kit with mesh drumheads and pad as cymbals, so I have 1 trigger on the kick drumm, 1 on the snare and 2 toms. Now I need to setup the hihat getting a close hihat sound and a open hihat sound playing the pad. I know that the pedal input control the hihat input. If the pedal is down the pad of the hihat input makes a midi note. If pedal is up the pad input makes an other midi note. If I play an open hihat and aftrer a few of milliseconds I close hiaht with the foot the sample continues to play and it not stops. So this is not realistic. It should to stops. Also the feeling is not the same of a real hihat, It's like a switch, on / off. Can someone helps me with the setup? At the moment I have Roland cy-8 pad and Roland fd-9 foot pedal.
An other issue is if is there a good alternative to the electronic pad, some like a silent cymbal with a trigger for cymbal. Do you suggest me something like that?

Last edited:
You haven't said what software you're using.
You haven't said what hat controller you're using.
There's a bunch of settings (see the manual) about using a hat pedal see "EDITING HI-HAT PEDAL PARAMETERS" - but yes, it's going to more limited in comparison to a "proper" drum module (or something like an eDRUMin)
For cymbals - I'll always go with rubber, .esp in an apartment.

Hi guys. I need to play and record drums in my appartament: I have this interface and it works very good whit the ddrum triggers, I'd like to make an hybrid drum kit with mesh drumheads and pad as cymbals, so I have 1 trigger on the kick drumm, 1 on the snare and 2 toms. Now I need to setup the hihat getting a close hihat sound and a open hihat sound playing the pad. I know that the pedal input control the hihat input. If the pedal is down the pad of the hihat input makes a midi note. If pedal is up the pad input makes an other midi note. If I play an open hihat and aftrer a few of milliseconds I close hiaht with the foot the sample continues to play and it not stops. So this is not realistic. It should to stops. Also the feeling is not the same of a real hihat, It's like a switch, on / off. Can someone helps me with the setup? At the moment I have Roland cy-8 pad and Roland fd-9 foot pedal.
An other issue is if is there a good alternative to the electronic pad, some like a silent cymbal with a trigger for cymbal. Do you suggest me something like that?
DDTI is a bit old and limited and only has hihat midi notes for open, closed and foot chick sounds. (Make sure you at least assigned these properly.) Better drum modules can send 0-127 range as a CC value to determine various levels of openness that can trigger different sounds if you use a good enough VST. Also double check if the pedal input is set to HH and not Sus.

hi all, thanks for the answer. At the moment I don't use software but a roland spd linked by midi cable to my ddrum ddti module interface. The goal is to connect my pc using superior drummer and the ddrum ddti interface can help me beacause it has the usb connector. Now I can assign a midi note to the sampler as an experiment. What do you mean as controller? the interface is the ddrum DDTI . Can you suggest me a good module to get a better response from the hihat? maybe a roland module to use whit vh-11 or a vh-12. I have also a TD-12 module but it hasn't a usb interface for connect the pc

Last edited:
hi all, thanks for the answer. At the moment I don't use software but a roland spd linked by midi cable to my ddrum ddti module interface. The goal is to connect my pc using superior drummer and the ddrum ddti interface can help me beacause it has the usb connector. Now I can assign a midi note to the sampler as an experiment. What do you mean as controller? the interface is the ddrum DDTI . Can you suggest me a good module to get a better response from charli? maybel a roland module to use whit vh-11. I have also a TD-12 module but i hasn't a usb interface for connect the pc

If you have a TD12 then use that - simple! Just get a USB/MIDI interface - either standalone (Roland, M-Audio, etc) or more sensibly use one built into an audio+MIDI interface, as you'll need the audio interface for Superior.

ok thankyou very much. Just a last question that I'm courios. Can my ddrum ddti close the open hihat sound whed I press the pedal? So in general the ddrum is non top quality interface like for example a roland one? also the trigger is minus top that the roland one?

Last edited:
ok thankyou very much. Just a last question that I'm courios. Can my ddrum ddti close the open hihat sound whed I press the pedal? So in general the ddrum is non top quality interface like for example a roland one? also the trigger is minus top that the roland one?

The DDTi is a trigger-to-MIDI interface. triggers --> MIDI (USB and DIN). (i.e. it's like a simple drum module with no built-in sounds)

Your TD12 has a trigger-to-MIDI interface built it. triggers --> MIDI (DIN). If you want to connect that to a computer using USB, then you need to add a DIN MIDI --> USB interface. I use M-Audio ones usually.

or

A lot of audio interfaces also have a DIN MIDI --> USB interface built in. You need an audio interface (what we used to call a sound card in the old days!) if you're going to use software instruments as the sound card built in to most computers is not so good. So this is a good route - a combined audio and MIDI interface in a single box.

As for the capabilities of your DDTi regarding hats and MIDI - it's all in the manual, in the section "USING HI-HAT PEDALS" - but if you have a TD12 use that - it's far better - indeed, most modules apart from entry-level Medeli stuff will give better hat control.

If you have a regular acoustic hi hat stand and any single zone cymbal pad you can use this:

Back