Cymbal stand arrangement: your advice please

Thanks everyone! I purchased a PDP double tom stand w/3rd hole receiver and clamp w/boom extension at Raleigh's 2112 Percussion. The main changes are: at the left I have my ride directly atop the cymbal stand and my 18" crash clamped about halfway up and extending over the bass drum. I know this crash is where the ride "should" be, but the ride is so heavy it makes my the stand shake (it's a single braced Tama Stage Master; I may have to shell out for a sturdier, heavier stand). So far I actually like this set-up, and I angled the crash away from me since it's so low angling it away is the only way I can get a good "boosh".

On the double tom holder I have my 16" crash atop the top half of another Tama Stage Master stand inserted into the 3rd hole receiver and a little splash clamped onto it. A lot less metal than in my first picture (above). Thanks again for your ideas!View attachment 118016
Looking good BGD! Ref your bouncy ride - it looks from the rubber foot peeking round your BD that your ride is over the Y spread of the tripod? And the boom arm is almost horizontal so the force of contact is not dissipating down the arm to the stand.
Setting like this......... and less like this..... might solve your issues:unsure:(y)

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 7
  • wrong.jpg
    wrong.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 7
Looking good BGD! Ref your bouncy ride - it looks from the rubber foot peeking round your BD that your ride is over the Y spread of the tripod? And the boom arm is almost horizontal so the force of contact is not dissipating down the arm to the stand.
Setting like this......... and less like this..... might solve your issues:unsure:(y)
Thanks @KEEF! I adjusted the ride but I did not consider raising the angle of the boom to reduce whatever force that's called. I will do that. Appreciate it!

I think the main thing that would bug me about your kit set-up is how much a person has to open his/her legs to play. If it were me, I'd try to adjust the toms either higher or more flat and try to squeeze them in over the kick a little more. If you feel that the toms are too high after this adjustment, raise your seat an inch or two, along with your snare and maybe hats.

However, if this is a comfortable set-up for you as is then go for it and have fun! :)

Much better having a crash next to the ride. Makes crashing easier coming off the ride and going back to the ride.

Back