Cymbal recommendation

Atl MM

I am a somewhat newer drummer, but getting much better over the last few months. The used set I bought included an A custom 16,18 crash. I am wanting to get a cymbal to put, right of the ride that has a different, but complementary sound. I know some put a China in that spot, but currently, I am not wanting that sound for my set. What would you recommend as an alternative for that spot? Zildjian EFX, etc.? I want something that would have the contrast of a China, but not as harsh. I appreciate your info.

Thanks!

The Crash of Doom is worth a look.

Failing that you're looking at crashes with lots of holes in them which I'm a bit sceptical about, they look like they're going to break very easily.

There are some chinas that aren't that harsh at all. The paiste rude and 2002s are really clean chinas that would compliment the a customs.

Perhaps a darker, stickier, less sustain-ey ride that crashes nicely.

I have an 18" A Custom EFX for that exact reason (paired with 17" and 18" K Custom crashes). The EFX offers a trashy alternative to a standard crash sound, but without the harshness of a full-blown China.

in that same place on my set I have a 19" K med thin crash...darker than my other 2 crashes: 16" A Rock Crash and 18" A Thin Crash. I do have a china above it, but I like having the 3 different crash sounds

The used set I bought included an A custom 16,18 crash. I am wanting to get a cymbal to put, right of the ride that has a different, but complementary sound. ..... What would you recommend as an alternative for that spot? Zildjian EFX, etc.?
Zildjian EFX A Custom

Another vote for the holey cymbals here.

For example yes, the 18" A custom EFX is a good choice. I have one, and just as others have said: it's like a trashier crash without the harshness of a china.
You also have Sabian O-Zones, Paiste Swiss Crashes, Zildjian K EFX and K Custom Special Trash Crash to choose from.
Honorable mention also to the Meinl Extra Dry crash which is super dry and trashy (but without the holes) and sounds great.

If you can, try out as many as you can get your hands on, to see which you like best.

If you´re on a budget, Paiste PSTX Swiss crashes and Istanbul Agop Xist Ion crashes are inexpensive but sound great. I have both and see no reason to spend more.

Yeah love my EFX, often use it as my main crash. Just one point to add, it’s not especially loud so you have to make sure you don’t over hit it to compensate with your over cymbals.

BTW, tS Series Trash Crash is surprisingly good. Not quite as trashy as the EFX but louder I think. Very good value at around £100.

Many drummers will hang an accent to the far right. As you've noted, a lot of people use a China for this. The A-Custom EFX is a good alternative to the china, with the exception that I see A LOT of broken ones out there. Another more economic option is the "trash stack", where you put your two broken crashes together on a stack and play them as the accent. Remember, the objective of the accent cymbal is a brief high amplitude note... Anything that accomplishes this should work.

Back