Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, methods etc...

For some visual reference:

Here’s one of my bass drums with the cutout PS3 like @roncadillac suggested. Jumbo hole, perfectly round and clean.

14415526-6E9F-4893-B62F-570E59523095.jpeg

Here’s another head with a 10” cutout. Used the Bass Drum O port cutter thingy to do this one. Large, round and clean.

0B35F60B-B5D1-4F0A-BBE2-F9D716E5D43A.jpeg

These are both 22” bass drums. For a 24”, I’ve used cymbals and x-acto knife as mentioned earlier.

Re: Cutting Hole in Bass Drum..Best way to do this?

i put loads of gaffa tape on the inside surface first to strengthen it (see diagram). then i trace around a suitagble tin. but i really like zackmans idea. sounds like my kind of guy.
j
ps: keep the hole as small as possible. any more than 7'' and you may as well not have a skin.

Did a hole with packing tape applied first - cut using a very sharp Exakto knife on the inside surface with a can of Rotel Diced Chilis & Tomatoes.

I was wondering, for those who like the boomy deeper sound of a full bass reso but would like a bit decompression still, how about the small holes like those of the DW bass heads ?
How would you proceed to cut like 6 holes the diameter of small coins ?

I was wondering, for those who like the boomy deeper sound of a full bass reso but would like a bit decompression still, how about the small holes like those of the DW bass heads ?
I suppose you could use a small coin with a very sharpe exacto knife and carefully cut around it:eek:.

Use a hot thick knitting needle.

I did that with some of my old Yamaha heads.

Inspired by one of the russ miller heads I have:
1720092601901.jpeg

Or buy them and remove the dw logo.

Last edited:
Some people like them but it’s nearly impossible to stick a D112 in those little diamonds.

Back