custom/boutique drum companies

D

drumfreak1987

so which ones have you heard of? i'm seriously considering a custom kit, and have been on the look out for small scale companies. there's a lot of trendy companies like ocdp, spaun, truth, battlefield, etc. i want to stay away from those guys, i like the other cats: brady, odery, guru, hard bop, stanbridge, and drum solo. what other companies can you think of that craft their own drums, that don't just drill and finish, but make their kits from start to finish?

Stardom Custom Drums - based in the UK

For full kits, you may also wish to consider http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/home Highwood (UK) make their own birch & mixed species ply shells, and http://www.kumu.fi/english/kumudrums.html Kumu (Finland) make their own very high quality birch ply shells.

The other makers you've listed also make great drums that deliver so much more than the standard stuff. Don't forget Craviotto for steam bent kits too. Great quality. Unix for stave too. Dammit, I'll be here all night :)

PROMO ALERT!! Just for the record, we make our own steam bent, segmented, & stave shells from 6" to 32" (I'm pretty sure we're the only ones making all these varieties & sizes), & our new ultimate construction series is due to be released later this year.Thanks for highlighting the bespoke & artisan kit builders.

I'd just like to add that we're all greatly saddened to hear of the terrible fatal accident suffered by Dennis Stauffer a few days ago. A great & humble builder of passion & integrity.

ADM custom drums, based here in Perth, Western Australia

I'd just like to add that we're all greatly saddened to hear of the terrible fatal accident suffered by Dennis Stauffer a few days ago. A great & humble builder of passion & integrity.

so sorry to hear, sir. was he a colleague of yours? so tragic...the untimely death of a respected and well-regarded person is a hard blow to the heart. may he rest in peace, and watch over his loved ones until they reunite in the next life.

Last edited:
Don't forget Crazy 8's Drums (see my signature). I'm not officially an endorser but that guy does make some nice drums. He makes ply shells from scratch. I have a Crazy 8's 14x5.5 snare, thick Finnish Birch ply shell. That baby is a beast of a snare. My next kit will be a Crazy 8's custom kit.

so sorry to hear, sir. was he a colleague of yours? so tragic...the untimely death of a respected and well-regarded person is a hard blow to the heart. may he rest in piece, and watch over his loved ones until they reunite in the next life.
Thank you for your kind thoughts, but no, not a colleague, Dennis was the founder & owner of Stauffer Percussion. A great loss to the drum building comminity. He lost his life in a car accident. The only glimmer of light to come from this was, his son survived the accident.

Noonan drums (also UK based) are a custom builder I think I'm right in saying make their own kits from start to finish- check them out

Again no experience with them just putting a name out there

Craviotto, GMS, Noble and Cooley and Joyful Noise Drum Company all make fine instruments to specs.

Tee Drums - Alan Tocknell, he makes shells by hand, finishes by hand, his workshop is tiny. I discovered him when I devlivered some guttering to his house for work, got talking to him he showed me his workshop, its all made by hand and he is very skilled. He can make you any combination of wood you can think of, all wierd and wonderfulll sizes a real custom drum maker and not just a keller shell finisher.

Noonan drums (also UK based) are a custom builder I think I'm right in saying make their own kits from start to finish- check them out

Again no experience with them just putting a name out there

Gary Noonan used to own a shop that was a ten minute walk from my house. I used to go in there occasionally to buy 'incidental' gear (sticks, heads, etc) but always had a very close look at his drums. Really great stuff - I've got nothing but praise for the quality of his gear. He runs a very tight ship. The contact address on his website is about a three minute walk.

Guru Drums (see posts from Keep It Simple above- he is owner).

Look them up on here and see the demo videos and read about what he has done. Hard to go back to the "old" way once you know/if you care enough about the sound IMO.

Back