Click Tracks survey

I like the freedom of no click live but tend to record with a click. I’ve cracked up loads of engineers with my “funky” click track with shakers and tribal grooves whilst recording rock, pop and metal. Usually a WTH moment at the start of a session. :ROFLMAO: Cowbell quarter notes with sixteenth shaker is my basic preference.🙂👍

I prefer the sound of a female findom in my left ear screaming 'dosh' every 8th note when recording in the Himalayas. Otherwise, just the theme to 'The Archers' on the 1 of every bar is fine. Unless the piece is in 15/16, in which case replace 'The Archers' with the theme to 'Ski Sunday'.

Don't they just follow you? You are the only one that needs it, yeah?
I have no experience using a click.

Sometimes I'm adjusting to the gang, rather than them adjusting to me. Granted it "should" be based from what I'm doing, but we make it work. More often than not, I do dictate tempo, but in a click scenario, it would have to be ALL the time, and they would have to come back to me. I'm not sure that we're disciplined enough to make that work.

A click is good if the band has an issue with synching up.
I don't mind them and they work remarkably well.

I have no experience using a click.

Sometimes I'm adjusting to the gang, rather than them adjusting to me. Granted it "should" be based from what I'm doing, but we make it work. More often than not, I do dictate tempo, but in a click scenario, it would have to be ALL the time, and they would have to come back to me. I'm not sure that we're disciplined enough to make that work.
I had a few sessions where the click was insisted. One was an electric kit so the volume wasn't an issue, The other was at a studio where it was amplified greatly. That one was tough, wanted to audition me to Alex Van Halen material. I never saw the guy again it went pretty bad. I also never had the ability to hear the click while playing. Never had in ear monitors. So live in a band everyone played however fast or slow I did. Other bands had a problem with one guy that tended to play too fast, another guy dragged, which parts of the song would cause me to adjust one way or other. They would have benefitted with a click. Other than that the click I used was on the practice pad. Since it has been so long that I have not been playing I am starting over literally from the start. Trying to learn a new technique while starting over. (the finger style for doubles). I have to master again my note rates. And 64ths are out of the question without that finger technique.

Last edited:
Back