Can't keep balance while using both feet at same time

Yes, I keep the pedal completely depressed when playing normally and open/close it with only the ball of my foot. Isn't that normal?
Yes I agree, but my point was more of, to depress the hihat, say to get the 'chick' sound for 1/4's or 1/8's, you are having to depress/lift that foot even more because of more travel (distance) between the 2 hats.
For a new drummer learning heel up, all the more lift/balance required, to me at least.

Now whenever I am playing this, I have a need to lean back, even if I am doing it at the slowest possible speed just to get the pattern down. I did make an adjustment by moving my tractor-style throne closer so I sit back on the throne instead of at the front edge, and that has helped, but I still need that extra adjustment somewhere.

This is a tell tale sign of either poor balance, weak core, going too fast, or a combination of the three. Leaning back shifts your center of balance, which in turn makes it easier to pick both feet up. Since this happens even when you slow down, it's obviously not speed related. It could be a weak core, your legs are too far out if you are heel up, or both. You might also consider switching to a round throne to get more leg on the seat.

Can you pick both feet up and just hold them? Do you play heel up or down, and where are your ankles in relation to your knees?

a good test is sit on a couch or a chair, keep you feet perfect flat on the ground, and lift them about 1 inch and hold it. Play around with your center of balance, lean forward. Do you fall forward? Try doing this on a chair and sit further forward, further back. try it higher up. lower down. You can work on this without a drumset. Sometimes I'll do this in a passenger seat of a car if I'm on a long drive and keep working my core with no one noticing.

I'd say most people have core/balance issues. It's VERY normal. This is why many drummers can rip chops all day, but when you ask them to keep time on the hats they totally fall apart. It's a combination of adding in the last limb for independence, but balance plays a huge factor in it as well.

Give it time, Keep the left foot going at ALL times. it will come in time. Even when I don't play double bass I am always keeping time on the left. Eventually it becomes normal .

You maintain your balance by keeping your centre of gravity over your support base (your feet). If there is a major change in this equilibrium, you fall over. In routine day-to-day activities, your body maintains balance with little adjustments that are so automatic that you don't notice them. In the following series of activities, students reflect on these adjustments that make balancing their bodies possible.

You maintain your balance by keeping your centre of gravity over your support base (your feet)
This does not work in a seated position. Your butt becomes the balance point and support base. Your feet are now in front of your center of gravity. It's called center of gravity because your balance is centered on your whole body. While laying down, your center is no where near your feet.

Interesting thread. I started very late and it wasn't easy at first, the thing that helped me was to keep a rythmn on the ride cymbal 8ths or 4trs which had the effect of opening my body out, with a simple BD pattern and a basic beat going with the foot on the hi hat.....it was very weird at first, felt like I was floating and wobbling but it really stiffend my core and now seems easy...and I'm 61 and not terribly fit.

Core strength alone (which is needed) isn't enough, you need proper setup and practice. I say this because I'm a Calisthenics athlete and core is a huge part of the training. I consider my core pretty strong and still I have problems with balance while playing some double bass patterns.

Dang suspending both legs at that angle doesn’t cause back problems?i figured at least one heel would be down. I never master double but when I suspended both legs heel I could play a lot better but my back and hips would start acting up in time. Seems my core is stronger doing it though-is there a “hump”?

When I play fast double bass it's not really my muscles keeping my legs suspended; they are not being suspended at all. Pushing down on the pedals keeps them elevated.
Obviously when playing at more moderate speed each leg is lifted independently also by pressing down for each stroke, just like single bass.
It shouldn't take any physical strength conditioning to play double bass comfortably, it's proper technique and good posture.

As for the balance issue, in addition to all the other good advice make sure you're not sitting toward the front of the throne. Use the whole seat.

Last edited:
I'd say most people have core/balance issues. It's VERY normal. This is why many drummers can rip chops all day, but when you ask them to keep time on the hats they totally fall apart. It's a combination of adding in the last limb for independence, but balance plays a huge factor in it as well.

I've struggled with balance at times.

Firstly - as people have recommended - practice balancing. Sit on your stool for a few minutes, holding your legs up (but not tucked under the stool!) its really hard. Do it first thing when you sit down to practice every time just even for 30 seconds to start with. You'll start seeing results soon. You'll be able to hold it longer and longer. This will help your balance, your position, your leg strength and your core strength.

Secondly - working on your core muscles might be key. I had a car accident many years ago, and while in physio it was highlighted to me how shockingly weak my core was. Since then I've worked on it to varying levels over the years, but since getting back into drums over lockdown, I've become very aware that there are times when I'm drumming for a while, including lots of double kicks, then sometimes my whole lower abdomen is just rigid with tensed muscles, but I'm balanced, I'm firmly placed on the stool and all four limbs can do what they like (as far as my ability allows!). I was not able to do this when I drummed in my teens, pre accident, and pre working on my core muscles. Doesn't even take much, if this were the problem just do like 20 sit ups a day, or 10 if you can only do 10 to start with. I tend to do about 40 each morning so just a couple of minutes, and that's it for core muscle stuff, but I'm glad I do when I'm drumming. Plus, you get great abs!

Thirdly - maybe not the best advice, but it worked for me, ignore the problem and it'll go away! I've been working on a piece for the last year or so, writing it above my ability and learning to play it, up to speed. I've noticed without putting specific work into it, that the patterns that caused most loss of balance have now just become easier. There was one where I was going from double kicks to the hat and kick and I kept nearly falling off the stool. Without addressing the problem, just practicing what I wanted to practice, my body learnt how to do it with less falling over! I think it's in the position I sit on the stool, but I don't really know, it just isn't a problem anymore where once it was. Your body will adapt, so where it isn't a very specific technique that you have to get right, I'd almost say worry about things that do need that level of attention, and stuff like this will just sink in.

Back