Can't keep balance while using both feet at same time

But this means you actually have to depress the hihat pedal even more, because you increased the distance between upper and lower hats. Its a 1:1 relationship. So there is a trade-off there.
I agree with others, as a beginner you have to work your core.
Yes, I keep the pedal completely depressed when playing normally and open/close it with only the ball of my foot. Isn't that normal?

opentune

Platinum Member
Yes, I keep the pedal completely depressed when playing normally and open/close it with only the ball of my foot. Isn't that normal?
Yes I agree, but my point was more of, to depress the hihat, say to get the 'chick' sound for 1/4's or 1/8's, you are having to depress/lift that foot even more because of more travel (distance) between the 2 hats.
For a new drummer learning heel up, all the more lift/balance required, to me at least.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Now whenever I am playing this, I have a need to lean back, even if I am doing it at the slowest possible speed just to get the pattern down. I did make an adjustment by moving my tractor-style throne closer so I sit back on the throne instead of at the front edge, and that has helped, but I still need that extra adjustment somewhere.
This is a tell tale sign of either poor balance, weak core, going too fast, or a combination of the three. Leaning back shifts your center of balance, which in turn makes it easier to pick both feet up. Since this happens even when you slow down, it's obviously not speed related. It could be a weak core, your legs are too far out if you are heel up, or both. You might also consider switching to a round throne to get more leg on the seat.

Can you pick both feet up and just hold them? Do you play heel up or down, and where are your ankles in relation to your knees?

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
a good test is sit on a couch or a chair, keep you feet perfect flat on the ground, and lift them about 1 inch and hold it. Play around with your center of balance, lean forward. Do you fall forward? Try doing this on a chair and sit further forward, further back. try it higher up. lower down. You can work on this without a drumset. Sometimes I'll do this in a passenger seat of a car if I'm on a long drive and keep working my core with no one noticing.

I'd say most people have core/balance issues. It's VERY normal. This is why many drummers can rip chops all day, but when you ask them to keep time on the hats they totally fall apart. It's a combination of adding in the last limb for independence, but balance plays a huge factor in it as well.

Give it time, Keep the left foot going at ALL times. it will come in time. Even when I don't play double bass I am always keeping time on the left. Eventually it becomes normal .