Canopus or DW

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I'm looking for a high-quality bop size kit for jazz gigs in 2021 and beyond (I get my first vaccination Feb. 8 I already have appt).

I am really digging the Canopus Yaiba and the DW Performance bop size kits. I have heard both in person. Pretty much just the sound I want from both. And I can find either one in cool finishes I dig.

They can both be found for the same price around $1,600.

DW USA Made

Canopus quality Japanese made.

I do have a bit of a problem buying/selling/buying/selling/ repeat so resale value is also part of decision.

Would DW be better purchase decision because of higher resale value in future? Or will they both be about the same give the reputation Canopus has in jazz world. Or is DW just a much bigger market thus easier to sell a quality DW kit in future.

Btw I'm now playing a DW FF. Made in Asia but it's a cool kit and the 20x12 kick sounds really good. If I buy the new Canopus or DW I'd gig them and keep the DW FF set up for practice at home).

What do you folks think?

Canopus!! Get the Canopus!! Get your fresh hot set of Canopus!

lol... but what about resale. I know about depreciating value of drums, but some depreciate more than others for sure. Does Canopus depreciate more than DW? Does DW have a better brand name so resale holds value better??

......and it's not DW. (y) :devilish:

lol... but what about resale. I know about depreciating value of drums, but some depreciate more than others for sure. Does Canopus depreciate more than DW? Does DW have a better brand name so resale holds value better??

I can't answer those questions as I have no experience in the resale of drums. I haven't shopped for a kit since the late '80's so I'm a bit out of touch in that regard.
Even so, like a car, I wouldn't buy a kit as an investment, so resale value is irrelevant in my world.

As many kits as I turn over, resale is important to me. Heck I may buy a kit now and resell it in August. I'm on a quest that can never be finished lol. Hence my solicitation of comments inputs and advice.

I can't answer those questions as I have no experience in the resale of drums. I haven't shopped for a kit since the late '80's so I'm a bit out of touch in that regard.
Even so, like a car, I wouldn't buy a kit as an investment, so resale value is irrelevant in my world.

Get both and the one you don't like give to me.51854154_811900445821135_7369592267033542656_n.jpg
You know you want the Yaiba. Heck I do.

I agree. Resale value is also unpredictable. It depends on market factors beyond the make and model of the kit itself. A set with high resale value today might be hard to move tomorrow. When I buy gear, it's always with the intention of keeping it for a number of years. What I might be able to get for it later doesn't really cross my mind.

DW. Canopus is not a huge name in the US so if you’re already looking at selling it, more people will be interested in DW than the Canopus.
But DW is overrated, give a smaller company like Canopus a chance

It would be nice if you could hear them

I don't know what Yaiba sounds like. Maple is a known quantity.

Resale value, to me, is something that's not as important as how much I like one kit over the other.

My goals are to buy what I love and just be done with it.

Everyone takes a hit selling drums.

But if you don't sell them, no hit.

Every once in a while I take out my DW's just to see how well they stand up to the solid shell kits I am used to

I really like the sound of my maple DW Collectors. They do hold up. Even with all that hardware weight.

But DW is overrated, give a smaller company like Canopus a chance
I’m just applying the same logic we use towards everything else. The little boutique makers may be better, but they’re not a household name. That’s why people love old Fords, Harleys, Fenders and Gibson’s. That hand-made guitar from the base of Mt. Fuji may indeed be superior, but it doesn’t have the legacy of the big manufacturers.

He wants the Yaiba-I can tell by how he was trying to be all reasonable with resale and seeming to favor DW-when he knows he wants the Canopus and follow his passion is the proper path. Logic be damned LOL.

I agree. Cool people do what they want to do. He's cool he's got it covered. I can't wait to see a video of him getting his new kit-whatever his choice.
It is Winter though and he could get The Vapors and be "Turning Japanese". Ya know I think so LOL.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 6.27.40 PM.pngLook at the Dark red sparkle lacquer. Ooouuuuuu-Ahhhhhhh
If you read reviews of those Yaiba I think you would go with them. Bass drum a cannon that you can tune low or high-the whole kit for that matter I read. Supposedly has a unique feel that is always a pleasure to play a common response. I hate the dang thing because it's screwed up my decision making LOL.

Last edited:
Back