Brits, Beer and Football

Dropped my son off at a seafront pub at 12.30 and the queue was so long he had to blag his way in as his mates were already inside. This for an 8pm kick off! He's still out drowning his sorrows, being an England supporter is second only to being a Sunderland supporter.

As an Aussie with British & Italian heritage I’m not too invested in the Euro Cup, but I’m very pleased that Ash Barty won the Wimbledon women’s championship.

Just silly.
I am British and also European. If it was Scotland playing Italy in the final I would have been supporting Scotland. If it was Wales I would be supporting Wales. In fact I was rooting for both in all their games, except when we played Scotland.

The abhorrent racism that is being shown in England today is disgusting. I feel ashamed to be part of this absolute dump of a Country :(
I hope it’s the noisy minority mate…but wouldn’t bank on it…:(
Yes, a loud minority. According to Southgate, a lot from outside this country.
Awful, awful though, I agree.
Is this because of the football game? Curious outsider looking in.

Years ago people used to shout abuse at black players during football matches.
These days they post abusive messages to the player's Twitter or Instagram. Not only is it racist, but it often includes threats of violence.
The whole team has been 'taking a knee' all year as a symbol of solidarity against racism and online abuse.
It has been booed by our own England fans.
Last night the three youngest black players each missed a penalty which meant we didn't win an important game. So overnight their social media accounts were swamped with violent racist abuse.
Really in all honestly, Italy were the better team, and we should have tried to win the game in normal time rather than the pot luck of penalty shoot outs.

These days they post abusive messages to the player's Twitter or Instagram. Not only is it racist, but it often includes threats of violence.
The whole team has been 'taking a knee' all year as a symbol of solidarity against racism and online abuse.
Last night the three youngest black players each missed a penalty which meant we didn't win an important game. So overnight their social media accounts were swamped with violent racist abuse.
Really in all honestly, Italy were the better team, and we should have tried to win the game in normal time rather than the pot luck of penalty shoot outs.
That's too bad. Similar things happen here also. All because of a game. It's such a shame. Folks will forget the game. These things not so much.

Is this because of the football game? Curious outsider looking in.
It goes a lot deeper than football but sadly they attach themselves to the national team. I know someone who went to the game, and unfortunately things got very ugly inside the stadium before, during and after the game; it wasn’t just on social media…I’m afraid we have an embarrassing element of our society that we’d best not talk about here… :(

Just silly.
I am British and also European. If it was Scotland playing Italy in the final I would have been supporting Scotland. If it was Wales I would be supporting Wales. In fact I was rooting for both in all their games, except when we played Scotland.
What's silly ? You can't speak for anyone except yourself.

Hey Chris. I completely agree with every bloody word you said here.

Back