Bob Gatzen R.I.P.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about him being in poor health-I've always really enjoyed all his videos and efforts. He seems like a really nice man in his demeanor. I hate they are having to sell his stuff because of medical expenses. Maybe instead of a Sale make it Philanthropic Auction to help the family out.

I visited Creative Music a few times when I was a teen, obsessed with drumming and drums. Bob and anyone at the shop was always kind to me and always willing to answer my questions. The first time I saw Noble and Cooley drums in person was there. Bob sold me a used Supraphonic that sounded amazing.
I’m sorry to hear that he’s not doing well.

This is sad to hear. I have a lot of respect for Bob and his passion for drumming and willingness to share his knowledge. That very knowledge has kept my drums sounding good for decades. I wish him well and hope he pulls through.

I too am sad to hear he's not well. I checked out his list. It looks like he was N&C's biggest customer or an endorser. To have that many Zildjian bronze snare drums, is just unreal. Thoughts & prayers to him and his family.

Bob is a huge inspiration for me. His tuning videos were a revelation and completely changed how I approach drum tuning. I hate to hear he isn't well.

Thoughts and prayers to he and his family!

Is it the same Mr. Getzen affiliated with Creative Music in Conn.?

I live in Colorado, the elder gentleman that sold me the drums is from Jersey.
These skins came off the Rogers Mardi Gras kit floor tom that I just purchased (note the Creative Music stamp in the diplomat reso).

481D26F1-EC75-4B06-A81D-6F193AF559C8.jpeg

Thoughts and prayers to he and his family!

Is it the same Mr. Getzen affiliated with Creative Music in Conn.?

I live in Colorado, the elder gentleman that sold me the drums is from Jersey.
These skins came off the Rogers Mardi Gras kit floor tom that I just purchased (note the Creative Music stamp in the diplomat reso).

View attachment 100171
Yeah, that was Bob’s shop

Really sad to hear this, he always seems like such a great guy on his YouTube vids. I wish him and his family all the best.

The drummer, designer, inventor is not doing well. If you feel inclined to do so, please keep him in mind.

For those unfamiliar with Bob here's a link with a Bio: https://www.moderndrummer.com/2011/06/bob-gatzen-student-guru/

Proceeds from the sale of all his remaining drums will be used to help with the family's medical expenses.
The sale is being handled by Joe Montineri: https://www.joemontinericustomdrums.com/shop

Oh no - Bob has such a huge impact on the drum world with his work. Like 12 years ago we would chat more regularly on FB when I was active there and he was so kind and gracious and fun and humble.

Truly something to strive for as a human being.

I hope he gets better or we can all help in whatever form that takes.

Thanks for the post - I had no idea.

All the best hope for Mr. G. :)

As a newer drummer I have found his videos very helpful.

The drummer, designer, inventor is not doing well. If you feel inclined to do so, please keep him in mind.

For those unfamiliar with Bob here's a link with a Bio: https://www.moderndrummer.com/2011/06/bob-gatzen-student-guru/

Proceeds from the sale of all his remaining drums will be used to help with the family's medical expenses.
The sale is being handled by Joe Montineri: https://www.joemontinericustomdrums.com/shop

I reached out to Joe Montineri via his site to purchase one of Bob Gatzen's drums last week, but haven't heard back yet. Hoping I can help out a tiny bit by buying a drum.

I follow Joe on IG and he posted that he's helping inventory Bob's drum sets and cymbals which will be up for sale soon.

Last edited:
I learned so much from his videos, and his advice has influenced my kit setup and sound quite a lot.
Yet another story of someone who contributed so much struggling with medical bills is infuriating.

His input at Noble & Cooley is one reason my CD Maples are the best sounding drums I've played.
I hope mercy and grace surround him.

Apologies for posting this on a couple of forums. I also know various other posts have been started over recent years, but I just wanted to start fresh as Bob sadly passed away yesterday (29th December 2023).
It has been a long slow journey unfortunately and I haven't spoken to Bob for a few years.
Just if you don't want to read my whole post - Bob was all about music and musicians, it was never about money. His goal was to make drummer's lives better.
His influence is massive which you might not appreciate. Bob helped design N&C's single ply drums, worked on the nodal point hardware concept that has been widely copied. Bob designed the Horizon Series, which are my personal favourite drums. At the same time Bob started collaborating with Evans, who were known really only for hydraulic heads, helping turn them into a rival to Remo with a broad range of professional level drum heads. then he turned his hand to hardware with the PDP Boa pedals, then the 'drumframe' drum rack.

As a studio player I had bought a couple of N&C single ply snare drums, having read about them, probably in Modern Drummer Magazine. When it came to planning Paul McCartney's first world tour in a decade I was conflicted because I wanted to continue to use my N&C snares, but it didn't feel right endorsing another brand for the rest of the kit. Then I found out N&C WERE making a kit, the Star Series. This was before the internet, even before personal computers, so all our communications had to be done by transatlantic phone call.
When the McCartney tour landed in Boston (early February 1990) a few of us grabbed a limo and drove down to N&C (closer to Hartford CT). I met the wonderful Jay and Carol Jones and Bob.
After the McCartney tour I travelled to New England several times to meet with Jay or to hang out with Bob. Bob and his wife Joann always hosted me very kindly. I spent hours listening to Bib's drumming and design wisdom. I learned a lot. Do check out Bob's videos on Youtube, especially his guides to tuning, which I personally swear by.
Anyway, Bob and Joann were so full of life and enthusiasm, I never dreamed they would both be gone so early. So in closing, spare a thought for Bob and everything he has done for us drummers, often unseen, sometimes uncredited.

Attachments

• D1537648-CD88-4E7B-9D2D-D0BC41C0E990.jpeg
    D1537648-CD88-4E7B-9D2D-D0BC41C0E990.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 34
Apologies for posting this on a couple of forums. I also know various other posts have been started over recent years, but I just wanted to start fresh as Bob sadly passed away yesterday (29th December 2023).
It has been a long slow journey unfortunately and I haven't spoken to Bob for a few years.
Just if you don't want to read my whole post - Bob was all about music and musicians, it was never about money. His goal was to make drummer's lives better.
His influence is massive which you might not appreciate. Bob helped design N&C's single ply drums, worked on the nodal point hardware concept that has been widely copied. Bob designed the Horizon Series, which are my personal favourite drums. At the same time Bob started collaborating with Evans, who were known really only for hydraulic heads, helping turn them into a rival to Remo with a broad range of professional level drum heads. then he turned his hand to hardware with the PDP Boa pedals, then the 'drumframe' drum rack.

As a studio player I had bought a couple of N&C single ply snare drums, having read about them, probably in Modern Drummer Magazine. When it came to planning Paul McCartney's first world tour in a decade I was conflicted because I wanted to continue to use my N&C snares, but it didn't feel right endorsing another brand for the rest of the kit. Then I found out N&C WERE making a kit, the Star Series. This was before the internet, even before personal computers, so all our communications had to be done by transatlantic phone call.
When the McCartney tour landed in Boston (early February 1990) a few of us grabbed a limo and drove down to N&C (closer to Hartford CT). I met the wonderful Jay and Carol Jones and Bob.
After the McCartney tour I travelled to New England several times to meet with Jay or to hang out with Bob. Bob and his wife Joann always hosted me very kindly. I spent hours listening to Bib's drumming and design wisdom. I learned a lot. Do check out Bob's videos on Youtube, especially his guides to tuning, which I personally swear by.
Anyway, Bob and Joann were so full of life and enthusiasm, I never dreamed they would both be gone so early. So in closing, spare a thought for Bob and everything he has done for us drummers, often unseen, sometimes uncredited.
Nice one @Chris Whitten . Bob was an absolute legend. Thoughts are with his loved ones. ❤️

Back