Black Beauty Don't

P33v3

I wanted more durability on my snare batter head so thought I'd try a Coated Emperor X. Not a good idea. It was worse that sticking moon gel all over the head. Definitely lost the sound that makes a Black Beauty sound like a Black Beauty. I just got done sticking a Coated Ambassador back on it and it sounds like it is supposed to again.

Yep. A very "special purpose" head IMHO.

I find them way too thick, heavy and lifeless for most drums in most situations. Definitely not a "go to" head.

I used to use one to tame an old Free Floater I had that was prone to all sorts of wild overtones. But outside of that, there are far better choices for general playing appplications....regardless of how hard you hit.

I've got an Emperor X on my 402,right now. It's ok. It gives it a bit of an Alex Van Halen vibe. I will probably switch back to a Vintage Emperor on my next head change.

Sounds like a reason to try a G+ or Ambassador-X (both single ply, unmuffled 12 mil heads), or a G14.

I really like the Ambassado X. I have it on both 13" and 14" snare drums. Will try to get a good photo of coating flakes after one rehearsal. arghhh

I wanted more durability on my snare batter head so thought I'd try a Coated Emperor X. Not a good idea. It was worse that sticking moon gel all over the head. Definitely lost the sound that makes a Black Beauty sound like a Black Beauty. I just got done sticking a Coated Ambassador back on it and it sounds like it is supposed to again.

I had the same experience with a BB, I made the mistake of using Remo Pinstripes, sounded like I was playing in a Gym Shower. Went back to the Coated Ambassador's too.

I have an Emperor-X on my Black Beauty. Not the optimal sound for that drum, I agree, but for a caveman like me it's a necessary compromise. If I use thinner heads, I just have to change them too often.

Definitely not a head for the studio though. When I recorded with a Black Beauty, the old coated Ambassador was the way to go.

I've got an Emperor X on my 402,right now. It's ok. It gives it a bit of an Alex Van Halen vibe. I will probably switch back to a Vintage Emperor on my next head change.

Vintage A Ambassador or Emperor on the LM402's is heaven. I use both on mine and have no problem getting that "John Bonham" sound with the proper tuning. I love em.

...that, in and of itself, deters me from ever trying an Emperor X on my 402!

Lol... His sound is hit or miss with me. I like the sound on the newest album and a few others scattered through the discography. It's usually a bit boxy for me.

I tried a coated g plus on my snare and I did't like it at all. May be it was my mistake for expecting something something that this head is not. It sound like an ambassador with just a little more body, nothing magical about it. And it felt almost the same as a ambassador, too soft for my taste. And it lasted my much less than usual choice, remo emperor. It's seems like the thiker theade head, the more I like iet, so may be my next head should be an emperor x

I would suggest using an Evans Power Centre Reverse Dot. It tones down the highs a bit and adds durability. I've personally seen Chad Smith and Mike Mangini using this head and it always sounded great. I've stuck one on my Tempus carbon fibre 14 x 5.5 since I found an Ambassador to ringy. A G2/Emperor could work too! Experiment!

I used G1 coated on my 6.5 BB. Great ringy tone, but now I use Power Center Reverse Dot, and I've found my sound. Still ringy, but with more focus and attack. Recommended!

you had the thinnest snare drum head and the the thickest, most of us are happy with something in the middle.

if you are into single ply, this is the progression:

10mil: remo ambassador, evans g1
10mil+3mil dot: remo control sound, evans reverse dot
12mil: ambassador x, gplus
12mil+3mildot: control sound x
14mil: remo powerstroke x(but this has also a ring to mufle overtones), evans g14

two ply:

7+7mil: emperor, G2
7,5+7,5: vintage emperor
10+10+3mil dot: emperor x

as you see you have plenty of options between ambassador and emperor x. I,ve never liked ambassador, they sound too thin with no tone IMO, so I've been using emperor or g2 for years, but for my wood snare drum I wanted a more crispier sound, so I bougth an Gplus, that to my ears sounded better than the ambassador, more tone and body, but not enough, so I went back to emperors. but I my next drumhead is going to be the evans g14, I think that would be the sound I've been looking for.

I got an Evans hydraulic 1/2 price and I put it on my BB.. Same story... It had a processed metal(djent) sorta sound but I got annoyed with its lifelessness and put a g1 in its place. Gonna go g2/emperor next time.. The g1 seems alot ringier than the Ludwig head that came with the drum.

I used got a used snare in with one of these on it and it sounded awful, horribly dampened and not sensitive at all. I put an Aquarian Hi-Velocity on and it sounds great, plus its a heavy duty 2 ply head thats still sensitive.

I once tried this head on my BB, and was instantly horrified at what a mediocre sounding drummer I immediately became. I immediately took it off and threw it away.

I would suggest using an Evans Power Centre Reverse Dot. It tones down the highs a bit and adds durability. I've personally seen Chad Smith and Mike Mangini using this head and it always sounded great. I've stuck one on my Tempus carbon fibre 14 x 5.5 since I found an Ambassador to ringy. A G2/Emperor could work too! Experiment!

Sub beat me to it, I really like this head on my 5 x 14 Black Beauty. The vented power center doesn't create a reduced rebound section like the Remo CS does.

G14 on a blacrolite of questionable vintage ... more pop than crack and suprisingly sensitive ... I really like this combo.

you had the thinnest snare drum head and the the thickest, most of us are happy with something in the middle.

if you are into single ply, this is the progression:

10mil: remo ambassador, evans g1
10mil+3mil dot: remo control sound, evans reverse dot
12mil: ambassador x, gplus
12mil+3mildot: control sound x
14mil: remo powerstroke x(but this has also a ring to mufle overtones), evans g14

two ply:

7+7mil: emperor, G2
7,5+7,5: vintage emperor
10+10+3mil dot: emperor x

as you see you have plenty of options between ambassador and emperor x. I,ve never liked ambassador, they sound too thin with no tone IMO, so I've been using emperor or g2 for years, but for my wood snare drum I wanted a more crispier sound, so I bougth an Gplus, that to my ears sounded better than the ambassador, more tone and body, but not enough, so I went back to emperors. but I my next drumhead is going to be the evans g14, I think that would be the sound I've been looking for.

Back