Billie Jean on steroids

Watch me play really fast without making much music....Impressive and I am sure he has a ton of groove but if you are going to call something a tribute to someone then at least have the respect to make it about them NOT YOURSELF.

Not hard to tell that he loves himself. Should have just called it a solo. It definitely is NOT a tribute.

Chops yes...but the word that starts with t.... is missing ....forget it i'll leave it alone since he seems quite pleased with himself.

Starting to appreciate the sparkly yellow jacket guy more now Abe :}

LOL, Stan, did you get his comment in the end about how he should be on the french football team?

I thought it was pretty cool. What should he have done, held the back beat for 5 minutes straight? It was a drum clinic! It was not an actual cover of the song or a live band perfomance.

Stop judging Damien with just this video, please! He has groove and feel! Listen to Birelli Lagrene's Electric Side, and hear him groove with Hadrien Feraud on bass.
I don't think Damien would be playing with Jean Luc Ponty, Frank Gambale and Zap Mama if he made everything to a chopsfest.

That was my point. It the Meinl Festival or whatever, dedicated to the drummer. Most of the time drummers are not a lead instrument. This is a chance to play as a more melodic instrument vs. timekeeping. I don't want to argue about overplaying vs. whatever. I'm just saying its a Drum clinic so its ookay.

Stop judging Damien with just this video, please! He has groove and feel! Listen to Birelli Lagrene's Electric Side, and hear him groove with Hadrien Feraud on bass.
I don't think Damien would be playing with Jean Luc Ponty, Frank Gambale and Zap Mama if he made everything to a chopsfest.

Still prefer your free jazz SNA :)

I thought it was pretty cool. What should he have done, held the back beat for 5 minutes straight? It was a drum clinic! It was not an actual cover of the song or a live band perfomance.

So it's ok to spit your ego to your audiences faces if the perfomance is held as a drum clinic? What practical application the audience of the clinic will get from that?

Wonder what would happen if I brought it along to a drum-clinic :p

I'd enjoy it! :) But you'd need people who couldn't play whistles and soprano sax to provide accompaniment. I'd recommend Captain Beefheart - who is brilliant at not being able to play soprano sax - but, alas, he's retired. Here's an example of him on my very fave Tubes song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCL9XFfYTns (at about 2:50 he really takes off).

So far, I've never had a nightmare about being on stage at a clinic in front of a horde of eager and expectant drum nerds, but it would be a doozy haha ...

Hmmm not quite Billie Jean on steroids. More like Billie Jean on acid...

Not quite my cup of tea. Great chops though and interesting licks.

just a side note...

we are watching him. Criticizing him (me too)...yeah, that guy on who was invited to play amongst what I'm sure is a impressive line up of drummers...Where are you(and I)...here on the internet, not playing in front of a huge crowd...not pulling off impossible licks for no reason...

Just sayin'

just a side note...

we are watching him. Criticizing him (me too)...yeah, that guy on who was invited to play amongst what I'm sure is a impressive line up of drummers...Where are you(and I)...here on the internet, not playing in front of a huge crowd...not pulling off impossible licks for no reason...

Just sayin'

So I can't critique a movie if I haven't directed it or I am not at the same level of ability to direct a movie as him/her who directed it? So if was to critique a movie I would have to be as good a director, actor, editor (list goes on an on) before I can say anything negative about it.

Sounds stupid to me. Chops are just chops, they are tools for a musician. All I saw was a box of tools thrown at the audience while a loop that sounded like Billy Jean was playing on the background.

So I can't critique a movie if I haven't directed it or I am not at the same level of ability to direct a movie as him/her who directed it? So if was to critique a movie I would have to be as good a director, actor, editor (list goes on an on) before I can say anything negative about it.

Sounds stupid to me. Chops are just chops, they are tools for a musician. All I saw was a box of tools thrown at the audience while a loop that sounded like Billy Jean was playing on the background.

I didn't say you can't critique. In fact, you (we) should. It keeps our creative differences flowing. Opinions are really the basis of a lot if our creativity...if not all. And that's not just music..

I was merely mentioning that...pile of whatever you might think it is, it isn't you that got invited to play there to throw down your pile of whatever. That has got stand for something...doesn't it? Remember, I didn't like it either...

So it's ok to spit your ego to your audiences faces if the perfomance is held as a drum clinic? What practical application the audience of the clinic will get from that?

What I am trying to point out is that drums are normally a supporting instrument. In this instance the player has a chance to play a leading role. Don't get the wrong idea, of course I am a not a speed head or a fan of someone playing the flashiest licks for 10 minutes striaght. This guy seemed to mix it up a little bit and it seemed pretty cool. I am not a huge fan of him, but I felt like most of the people on here were hating on him uneccesarrily.

the fu is weak with this tribute.....not impressed.

F

Back