Big Badges - why?

Tama has gone through so many variations over the last decade I began to wonder if they had a revolving door at their marketing department. The small water-transfer Starclassic decals are the best. They replaced them for a few years with bolt-on badges that looked like they belonged at toy store, then brought back the decals. The Star decals are nice, but not as subtle. The metal badges were too big, and after a while they get gritty with dust & grime.

If a drum company wants to indicate what the wood of the shell is, a sticker or ink stamp on the inside of the shell is my preference.

It's everywhere it seems. Is nothing sacred? ?

Attachments

• 10595785_800.jpg
    10595785_800.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Why do drum manufacture's place these on shells? Serial number/model designation (which could be done on inside of each shell), or simply pride of ownership through advertising ?
Advertising is part of it, and for drums that are serialized on the badge, it makes it easier to get the serial number without having to try to peer into the shell, or in some cases (there are people who use white or coated reso heads) having to take heads off.

Overall though, it's got to be an advertising and marketing thing.

At this point in life, I think I'd be sceptical of a product that didn't have a label/badge/logo somewhere. If the company isn't even confident/proud enough of their product to identify it, why should I want it?

I hate logos/badges for a completely different reason. I have to count them all each month when I do inventory. They come in by the thousands.

Script badges are my favorite, although I can think of one or two exceptions. Second favorites are Tama's Starclassic decals. Very classy. Big rectangular plates, or really any shaped metal plates with printing on it are my least favorite. The wood burning logo thing...I haven't made my mind up yet if I like that or not. Probably not.

At this point in life, I think I'd be sceptical of a product that didn't have a label/badge/logo somewhere. If the company isn't even confident/proud enough of their product to identify it, why should I want it?

My Gibraltar 9600 boom stand came with....

Two casted Gibraltar swivels.
Eight wing-nuts with Gibraltar in the casting.
Three metallic stickers bearing the name Gibraltar, one on each section.
Two Gibraltar hang tags.

That's 15 "Gibraltars".... On each boom stand. I bought the 5 piece HW set. To make matters worse, the sticker adhesive was resistant to goo-gone and a hair dryer. Took me the better part of a day to get them off.

It's not a question of whether something has a label or not, it's a question of whether a given piece of labeling is ridiculous or not. Like those Mapex kits that had badges the size of a Texas belt buckle.

My Gibraltar 9600 boom stand came with....

Two casted Gibraltar swivels.
Eight wing-nuts with Gibraltar in the casting.
Three metallic stickers bearing the name Gibraltar, one on each section.
Two Gibraltar hang tags.

That's 15 "Gibraltars".... On each boom stand. I bought the 5 piece HW set. To make matters worse, the sticker adhesive was resistant to goo-gone and a hair dryer. Took me the better part of a day to get them off.

It's not a question of whether something has a label or not, it's a question of whether a given piece of labeling is ridiculous or not. Like those Mapex kits that had badges the size of a Texas belt buckle.

I guess they just don't bother me. I accept labeling as part of the product. Fifteen is a bit much. Gibraltar must be really proud of those stands!

There's "Labeling"...and then there's....

LABELING

yes but when the labels remain intact long after the functionality is gone , one will be reminded that it is possible to manufacture quality labels on poor quality merchandise. is that a poxymoron?

yes but when the labels remain intact long after the functionality is gone , one will be reminded that it is possible to manufacture quality labels on poor quality merchandise. is that a poxymoron?

Only in the UK. ?

Don't get me started on adhesive labels applied directly on products!

It is interesting that virtually every company's stands - even with their logo cast into t-nuts, tilters and other sections - also have stickers stuck/wrapped on the largest tube!

Bermuda

Wondering why they don't just laser etch all this stuff instead of stickers, labels etc that just end up being thrown away. if put in strategic places it won't even be noticed.

Can we agree that the Mapex badge is obnoxious?

First thing I swapped out on my Saturn was the front head not a fan. I love the 70s Ludwig Blue/Olive badges and they're not exactly small.

What mapex have done is put 2 badges on each tom so whether you're left or right handed the badge is out front.

Good job I listen with my ears and not my eyes. Still could be about to buy some Sabians :)

Tama has gone through so many variations over the last decade I began to wonder if they had a revolving door at their marketing department. The small water-transfer Starclassic decals are the best.

I've always thought if I owned a set of Starclassics, I'd get the kind that had the decal on them instead of the badge. I always liked the way it looks.

I'm a sucker for script badges too. I think my favorite right now is the little Ludwig grommet though.

I think that drums that have no badges look like home-made kits or kits that someone re-finished and didn't bother re-attaching the badges. I think drums look cheap without some sort of badge on them, but that's just me.

Wondering why they don't just laser etch all this stuff instead of stickers, labels etc that just end up being thrown away. if put in strategic places it won't even be noticed.
I would assume that money is why they don't laser etch all the stuff.

Also, if "put in strategic places so it won't be noticed"? Kinda wondering why they would even bother then.

Also, also, some people are proud to display badges of something that they (perhaps finally, after years of saving up for) purchase, and want it to to be kmown.

Just My opinion..

T.

I'm so accustomed to the badge on a drum being placed so it faces out from its typical placement that I find some vintage placements strange.

Ludwig's with the badge 180 degrees from the mount and Tama's with the badge directly below the mount come to mind. It's as if the badge was more for the owner and less about advertising...

I would assume that money is why they don't laser etch all the stuff.

Also, if "put in strategic places so it won't be noticed"? Kinda wondering why they would even bother then.

Also, also, some people are proud to display badges of something that they (perhaps finally, after years of saving up for) purchase, and want it to to be kmown.

Just My opinion..

T.
Code and price labels, not badges.

Back