Best music documentaries

Spinal Tap

/ thread ;)

but also:
Beyond The Lighted Stage
Lords of Chaos

now playing: Insomnium - Heart Like A Grave

I really enjoyed Hired Gun on Netflix. Great docu about the musicians supporting the stars on records and tours and in some cases writing the music itself for little credit. Good segment with Kenny Arnoff too.

Best I've ever seen:

We Jam Econo: story of the minutemen

Just a beautiful coming up documentary for one of the most purely motivated bands in history.

Wow, I almost forgot about the documentary covering the most epic band in rock history: THE RUTLES, All You Need Is Cash.

Dirk, Nasty, Stig and Barry.

There's just something about that band that always takes me back. I think it was the trousers.

I just finished Echo in the Canyon ... really enjoyed it. Actually surprised myself, how much I liked it. Typically I’m not into Folk Rock, but I really enjoy some of it.
(Netflix)

Laid out very well, with Jakob Dylan revisiting the mid 60’s Hollywood Hills of Laurel Canyon.
Interlaced was a concert celebrating some really great music.
I am pleasantly surprised at Dylan’s voice, as well as other artist I’m not familiar with like Fiona and Beck.

My absolute favorite documentary, music or otherwise, is Searching for Sugar Man, about a nearly homeless man in Detroit who turned out to be about as big as The Beatles and Elvis in South Africa (seriously). An amazing, true story that I highly recommend.

As for those who mentioned This Is Spinal Tap, you know that's not a real documentary, right? Great movie though.

I just finished Echo in the Canyon ... really enjoyed it. Actually surprised myself, how much I liked it. Typically I’m not into Folk Rock, but I really enjoy some of it.
(Netflix)

Laid out very well, with Jakob Dylan revisiting the mid 60’s Hollywood Hills of Laurel Canyon.
Interlaced was a concert celebrating some really great music.
I am pleasantly surprised at Dylan’s voice, as well as other artist I’m not familiar with like Fiona and Beck.

I watched that a few day ago, I liked it,

As for those who mentioned This Is Spinal Tap, you know that's not a real documentary, right? Great movie though.

I totally get that it’s a mockumentary. I see humor as a valid path to truth. As such, I’m just as interested in what’s truth as I am what’s true.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
"It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, Jack White & The Edge.

I dug that too. Was awesome seeing Jimmy in his record room digging on classics. Rumble comes to mind, and his reaction to the guitar is just so pure and true....reminds me of what music does to me at its best, which is basically turn me into a child full of wonder and joy. Wow that was cheesy, but its true, I get real goofy with music that hits me right...I live for it....and trying to create it!

Ken Burns Jazz.

It's a little bit to narrowed around Wynton's interests(first half is best), but it's still a must watch. If you've only watched it on TV you want to get the DVDs as they were cut down A LOT for broadcast.

Quincy was great - an amazingly multi faceted musician , producer, writer etc. One of the true masters.

Great drumming bits with John Robinson too!

Leonid & Friends: Behind The Music

I think some of you know my admiration for these guys. A very well done in-depth view of the band and each of it's members.

The one about ZZ Top "That little 'ol band from Texas" was really good.

'Sinatra' is a multipart documentary- very comprehensive about the man, the music and a look at the evolution of America in the 20th century.

Both on Netflix

Last edited:
The one about ZZ Top "That little 'ol band from Texas" was really good.

'Sinatra' is a multipart documentary- very comprehensive about the man, the music and a look at the evolution of America in the 20th century.

Both on Netflix
I have floated over the Sinatra one too many times. I need to watch it.

Back