Best music documentaries

prokofi5

If anyone's interested in the history of punk, the epix 4-part documentary called "Punk" is really pretty good. It covers a wide spectrum of groups that made up the scene and follows the lineage up through the new pop/punk bands. It's not just the standard fare everyone talks about.
A weird thing was after I watched it I was talking about it at the little art supply shop in Ohio where I work. My boss who's an older quiet guy I hadn't spoken to much overheard us. I mentioned the footage of the last Sex Pistols show before they called it quits and my boss was like "oh yeah, that was at Winterland, I was there." Turns out he spent his youth in the Oakland/San Francisco area and saw everybody that came through in their heyday...Dead Kennedys, The Ramones at Oakland auditorium, the Clash opening for the Who at a "Day on the Green" show, a weird pairings like Judas Priest opening for Zeppelin, etc. Dude knows everything about 60-70's rock and punk music so I'm way less productive, but I enjoy work a lot more, lol.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Would apprecieate any reccomendations for good drummer or musician books to read also . Thanks
Autobiography of Miles Davis and Mel Torme's Traps - The Drum Wonder: The Life of Buddy Rich come to mind.

There's a passage where Miles is so coked up and paranoid,he parks his Ferrari in front of a skyscraper in downtown Manhattan and hides in a closet for a couple of hours.

Last edited:

TOMANO

Great drummer books I recommend:

Buddy Rich One of a Kind by Pelle Berglund.

Moon by Tony Fletcher.

Hellraiser: The Autobiography of the World's Greatest Drummer by Ginger Baker.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Not a Documentary, but a great movie about the life of Brian Wilson, Love and Mercy. His Dad and the Doctor his dad hired to "Take care of him" were criminal.
I remember Brian talking about how his father used to pop out his artificial eye in front of him to freak him out.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
He and his wife sued the two of them for keeping him so drugged out that he just stayed in bed most days

Old Dog new Cans

Anyone seen the latest Zappa movie yet? I have not and am curious to know what people think of it.
Rented it last night. Haven't watched it yet. I like the Love and Mercy flick. Good movie. Revealing. When I was a young kid 5/6 yrs old, I loved Elvis and The Beach Boys. Have always been a big fan of their music.

cbphoto

Gold Member
The Kids are Alright
As Roger Dalton said, it’s essentially about the life of Keith Moon.

Does anyone wanna make one about AC/DC with me?