Best drumming album of all time?

Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Jimmy Chamberlin

Rich vs. Roach - Buddy Rich and Max Roach

Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse -Jeremiah Green

Seriously, these are all great!

i would have to go with boss tenor by gene ammons, drumming by arthur taylor, congas by ray barretto...everything is so perfect

also, its not on an album yet, but my dads band plays a song called blackjack in which the drumming is really great...actually the drumming in all the songs my dads band plays is great...wish i could invent such great stuff like the drummer from my dads band does..

Last edited:
I think the best drumming albums of all time are probably 2112: Rush and Moving Pictures.......unless you count there live albums then there clearly better drumming including the solos

Joe Morris said:
Chick Corea: Album name "Friends" Drummer Steve Gadd. This project through Gadd out there for drummers just to go what the hell is that!! Outstanding performance by Steve on this record.

Good call.

Is anyone familiar with Weather Report's album "Night Passage." Great music. Peter Erskine on drums, Robert Thomas, Jr. on hand percussion really work great together with Jaco P. What a (now) classic sound.

There was an album that Louie Bellson and Billy Cobham did together. I think it was called "Matterhorn". I don't even know if it was released as a CD, Man that was a cool album.

jamsjr44 said:
I love that there are so many RUSH fans on here! RUSH has been my favorite band since junior highschool. I have seen them in concert 23 times and counting...There new album should be out also it is called: FEEDBACK.

Moving on:

RUSH - Exit Stage Left is an awesome drumming album

TOOL - Lateralus

QUEENSRYCHE - Operation Mind Crime - Scott Rockenfield is sick!

Any Dave Weckl album!

311 - 311

Animosity - Sevendust

There are just too many to name!

311!!!!!!!!!

A Sexton lover eh Jamsjr?

I have to admit..Chad Sexton and 311 were a gigantic influence for me growing up...I still remember the Summer of 94 when i first heard them...I was only 14 and sitting in a lawnchair with my buddies on the deck just listening to music while taking the random hit of grass...Ohhhh those were the days! Then my buddy breaks out a new C.D. his older brother had...It was called "Music" by 311...We were BLOWN AWAY!!!!!! You have to take in cosideration the year this C.D. came out in (93)...We had heard nothing like it back then...In my opinion (in all seriousness) this is one of the greatest C.D.'s ever made in Rock History...Every single song kicks ass and nobody even knew who they were...Chad Sexton really shows off some nice chops and killer groove...While I'm not into them as much as i used to be, that C.D. (along with grassroots and the self titled) will always hold a special place in my heart...I think their last good C.D. was Sound System...

Seriously anyone who has not heard 311's 1st C.D. called "Music" GO AND BUY IT!!!!!!! Soooooooooo Goooood!!!!!!!

Top Drumming Album of "All Time"

Note: No, don't list your favorite 10, 20, 100 albums. Butch up and make a choice. JUST ONE - your personal choice of the greatest drumming album ever.

There's a lot of great ones out there. It's a tough choice but if I have to pick one it's gotta be the debut album of:

Blood, Sweat & Tears with the great Bobby Columby on drums. An entire album of some of best chops, creativity and taste on drum kit ever recorded. JMHO.

Last edited:
Re: Top Drumming Album of "All Time"

hmmm....Physical Graphiti or 2112.....id have to say Physical Graphiti

or maybe the new transplants album...

Cinematic Orchestra: Man of Movie Camera - Luke Flowers

Lateralus?
Tool?

I don't know.

Do you know?

I'm very fond of the drumming on Steely Dan's Gaucho. This poll is too broad though, maybe we could somehow narrow down the albums by genre or decade. DECADE, YES, We should cut up the things by decade.

radeq said:
I haven't heard all of them, but I heard a lot, and there are two I really love - Dave Weckl band - very live and plugged in

and Karizma document - Vinnie Colaiuta :)

Karizma Document! Good call doood!

Too hard to pick just one. So, a random one that seems appropriate here:

"Sol Niger Within" by Fredrik Thordendal, with Morgen Agren on drums. Music similar to Meshuggah (hey, it's their guitarist) but from the other side of the fence - Meshuggah around the era of DEI = extreme metal band plays Alan Holdsworth-esque fusion. Sol Niger Within = Alan Holdsworth plays extreme metal. I'd be surprised if most people can even transcribe this stuff, let alone play it. If you only get one track, get "Bouncing in a bottomless pit". The whole album is one song, but this is probably the ludicrous chops highlight.

Other options? Well, that's a bit of a chops fest and I'm not really a choppy guy at heart. So:

Tori Amos - From The Choirgirl Hotel (Matt Chamberlain), for taste, clever use of a studio, awsome tone and great chops.

Jeff Buckley - Grace (Matt Johnson). For similar reasons, but all live instead of using loops and drum machines.

DJ Shadow - In Tune and On Time. Decks! And he's still kicking our asses! Listen and learn.

Mr Bungle - California (William Winant & Danny Heifetz, IIRC). Really good creative use of a drummer and percussionist working together in a band, constantly turning on a dime and doing a great job of supporting some of the weirdest pop songs you'll ever hear.

Hank Mobley - Soul Station (Art Blakey), just to remind you what our job is and how much fun it can be just to do that and forget about showing off entirely!

Bar Kokhba - Bar Kokhba (Kenny Wollensen). Only has drums on one track IIRC, but that track has one of only maybe five good drum solos ever. Oh yeah, wait for the flames :)

Symphony X - V-The Mythology Suite (Jason Rullo is an extremely underrated drummer)

Karmakanic - Wheel of Life (Zoltan Czörsz needs to be heard by every drummer interested in a mix of Dave Weckl and Nick D`Virgilio.
Truly amazing drumming on this album. A MUST HAVE)

Back