best cymbals for metal and rock

jcase1994

im in too playing every thing from def leppard to motley crue to lamb of god.

i have, zildjian 16" oriental thrash china, 16" zht china, 16"zxt medium crash, 18" zht efx, 14" zxt medium hi hats, 12" zxt flash splash, and a 20" zxt ride....

i am going to buy some z customs or evan k's but want to know if there are any beter cymbal companys for that type of music before i spend alot of money on them.

i also need to sell some of my drum stuff ;
mapex p750a single pedal
mapex t550a throne
and maybe some of my cymbals
if intressted send a post to this thread.

thankyou.

im in too playing every thing from def leppard to motley crue to lamb of god.

i have, zildjian 16" oriental thrash china, 16" zht china, 16"zxt medium crash, 18" zht efx, 14" zxt medium hi hats, 12" zxt flash splash, and a 20" zxt ride....

i am going to buy some z customs or evan k's but want to know if there are any beter cymbal companys for that type of music before i spend alot of money on them.

i also need to sell some of my drum stuff ;
mapex p750a single pedal
mapex t550a throne
and maybe some of my cymbals
if intressted send a post to this thread.

thankyou.

I would recommend the Z Custom power ride for metal...but I wouldn't recommend buying the crashes or hi-hats, although I hear that the new Z3 series sounds a little better. If you want to stay Zildjians for the rest of your cymbals, I would use A Customs or K Customs. Like a lot of people are saying, Paiste Alphas will work good for metal.... If you can afford a little bit more I would recommend Sabian AAXs, the Xplosions for the crashes and anything else you want for the other cymbals.

thanks but i would like to stay with 1 brand really, so would u say sabian, zildjian, or paiste

My vote goes to Sabian since that is what I play right now...but I've played them all in the past and I can tell you that they all are good quality cymbals AND all have cymbals that would work well for metal whether it be 80's metal or thrash. If I wasn't going to use my Sabians (AAX, HHX) I would probably go back to Paiste (signatures). I think they have the most diverse line of cymbals...but where I live they are also a little expensive.

Not speaking from personal experience, I am under the impression that Meinl makes good cymbals for metal and rock too so you may want to ask around about those.

Not speaking from personal experience, I am under the impression that Meinl makes good cymbals for metal and rock too so you may want to ask around about those.

so would u say sell all of my zildjians and invest in sabians or keep my zildjians n buy sabian from now on?

i would say the paiste black alpha would be the best fro metal. joey jordison helped them design them so i would say those. Not to mention i have played some of them and they have some really good sounds

i would say the paiste black alpha would be the best fro metal. joey jordison helped them design them so i would say those. Not to mention i have played some of them and they have some really good sounds

:/ i like alot of veriety as well though so i can expand and have different sounds

:/ i like alot of veriety as well though so i can expand and have different sounds

well they can be used for everything.

i see how people pick their drums over the type of music they play ie gretsch= jazz
and tama and mapex = rock but i dont see that for cymbals unless you buy like zildjian pitch blacks or black alphas or some specialty lines from sabian you could pick anything

hell you could play metal with paiste 2002's but i believe that paiste is one of the best brands out there and if you go with regular alphas you cant go wrong no matter what music you play

well they can be used for everything.

i see how people pick their drums over the type of music they play ie gretsch= jazz
and tama and mapex = rock but i dont see that for cymbals unless you buy like zildjian pitch blacks or black alphas or some specialty lines from sabian you could pick anything

hell you could play metal with paiste 2002's but i believe that paiste is one of the best brands out there and if you go with regular alphas you cant go wrong no matter what music you play

ok thanks m8 im going to try n sell my zildjians to buy some paistes or sabians

you know were i could try n sell them ?

I think you would be very well served with any Z-Custom cymbals you wish for Heavy Rock or Metal. If you like a fluffy sounding cymbal for other music, the other choices will sound great.

I think you would be very well served with any Z-Custom cymbals you wish for Heavy Rock or Metal. If you like a fluffy sounding cymbal for other music, the other choices will sound great.

i realy dont know... some people say paiste, some sabian, some zildjian.

i want to get some for quite cheap as well though soo i might get paiste alphas

I would recommend the Zildjian A and A custom line. I am so in love with my cymbals

I have:
13" Zildjian A Custom Projection Hi Hats
14" Zildjian A Custom Crash
17" Zildjian A Medium Crash
18" Zildjian A Rock Crash
20" Zildjian A China High
21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

you can hear them in action here:
http://www.myspace.com/saydiemichelle (funeral was poorly mixed, so you cant get a great feel)

Here are some live videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzXmDT8ShIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-b55XWYUEU

so would u say sell all of my zildjians and invest in sabians or keep my zildjians n buy sabian from now on?

Well you never mentioned what your budget is exactly...that will make the most difference. I play in a metal band and here is my setup right now:

13" Zildjian A Custom hats soon to be replaced by Sabian 14 or 15" hats (the A custom hats are great sounding though)
16" Sabian AAXplosion crash
18" Sabian Vault crash
8" Sabian AAX splash
12" Sabian AAX splash
20" Sabian HHX power ride
16" Wuhan china

I am selling a 20" Zildjian Z Custom power ride which also cut through amazingly well I'm just moving over to Sabian.

None of these cymbals have ever had any problem being heard over SUPER loud guitars in any venue.

I'm not telling you that you have to sell all of your Zildjians to get Sabians but keep in mind that ZXT and ZHT are in the lower echelon of Zildjian cymbals so eventually you're going to want to replace them with something else. The oriental china is a good cymbal though. My vote still is with Sabian AAX.

I would look at getting mix of paiste rudes, signatures and 2oo2s

i realy dont know... some people say paiste, some sabian, some zildjian.

i want to get some for quite cheap as well though soo i might get paiste alphas

the Paiste Alpha's are affordable and sound excellent, maybe the best way to go.

if you stick with Zildjian (and why not?), the new Hybrid's would work well for what you play, the hats definition is excellent, crashes project well and the rides have fantastic bells, of course the A Customs are tremendous and would be another good choice, the new Rezo's are incredible...

if you like Sabian's, look at the AAX line up - superb...

i know you did'nt mention them, but Meinl makes ( imo ) the best lines of cymbals for metal - Mb20, Soundcaster, Mb10, Mb8 and Gen-X all sound awsome, the Soundcaster's are affordable, offer a large variety of sizes and have a nice bright, shimmering sound...

just remember, it's your money so get what you want, good hunting man!

aaxplosion or a custom projection, same thing different brand and they are the best for metal and rock, and are also versitle for other music types.

I am pretty old school...my choice would be Zildjian Avedis Rock crashes for Rock and Zildjian Z custom for metal...they sound very balanced.

Back