Berklee College of Music or The Drummer's Collective?

ryanpbrogan

I can't decide between which school i'd rather go to. Both have their ups and downs. If anyone has any good info about these schools is apart of their alumni i would greatly appreciate your feedback and advice on these schools

thank you

If you can go to berklee and plan on a career in music, I think it might take you a bit further as far as "the biz" is concerned. Looks good on a resume, that's for sure.

I attended Drummers Collective. It is a place where you will go and learn the craft. The Collective didn't have many playing ensembles when I was there. But they are expanding, so you would need to look into their current curriculum.

You will get to study with world class faculty. What I liked about it is that I studied with teachers who were experts on the subject. At that time, Daduka DaFonseca, a Brazilian master taught Samba and all Brazilian styles, Mike Clark taught funk and other styles, Bobby Sanabria taught Latin, Kim Plainfield taught funk. The faculty has changed a bit, but there are still some amazing players there like Jason Gianni, Pat Patrillo, Kim Plainfield, Frank Katz and Adriano Santos.

Jeff

I'm at Berklee and it's awesome. Your around musicians all day everyday and there's no shortage of the people to play with and learn from. You get out as much as you put in from this school, so how far you go really depends on your effort. Teachers are awesome too. Price tag is steep though; but when you audition you are automatically considered for a scholarship so if you're good enough then you can go for free!

My advice to you is to first take stock of yourself. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? What are your goals? Write these down and share them with the two schools. When you go to both schools you need to audition them at the same time they audition you. That is right, you audition them. Ask them how they would help you based on your self evaluation. Focus less on the school than on the teachers you meet. Find the teacher(s) who would best meet your needs.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Bill

Back