Beginner Drummer: Kick technique + gear upgrade?

A little extra help with foot control doesn't have to take much. A minute of 16th notes first heel down short rest and then repeat heel up is a good 2-3 min warm-up to get things going. It usually makes a difference pretty quickly. I'd start at 40-50 bpm. It's not as easy at it sounds. Clean even and perfectly timed, or there's no point.
I'll definitely be incorporating this into my next practice session,thanks

I don't believe any of that to be true

if someone tells you to change gear when you are having difficulty in any area , run ... run as fast as you can ... because they haven't a clue of what they speak

a carpenter who blames tools ... not something I can tolerate

I'm not blaming the tool. I'm not saying the pedal is the problem. I'm saying get a better one and learn on it. She will still be fighting the same issues, but at some point she will want/need a better one anyhow. So get it now and get it out of the way, that's all I'm saying. I don't see the harm in that.

If I insinuated that the pedal was the problem I didn't mean do.

What's the origin of "kick drum"

when multitracking became prominent engineers would label console faders and designate one to each instrument ... to not confuse the bass with bass drum they would label the tape on the console "kick"

musicians ran with it and it is an enormous pet peeve of mine

Last edited:
I'm not blaming the tool. I'm not saying the pedal is the problem. I'm saying get a better one and learn on it. She will still be fighting the same issues, but at some point she will want/need a better one anyhow. So get it now and get it out of the way, that's all I'm saying. I don't see the harm in that.

If I insinuated that the pedal was the problem I didn't mean do.
maybe I read your post wrong ... I wasn't referring to you ... I thought you were saying people always blame gear outside of bass drum technique

wasn't attacking you in any way ... apologies if you took it that way

Last edited:
maybe I read your post wrong ... I wasn't referring to you ... I thought you were saying people always blame gear outside of bass drum technique

wasn't attacking you in any way ... apologies if you took it that way

Oh okay, I did misread your post. Sorry bout that.

And I agree, blaming the tool is not going to fix anything.

What about trying some different beaters? I think they make at least as big a difference as the pedal for feel, and a way bigger difference for sound and volume. Plus they are good to have for options even if the pedal eventually gets changed out.

I like this thread-even with disagreements/misunderstanding posters remain civil-kudos for the good example. It's been getting hairy around here.

What about trying some different beaters? I think they make at least as big a difference as the pedal for feel, and a way bigger difference for sound and volume. Plus they are good to have for options even if the pedal eventually gets changed out.
That's a good idea, are most beaters interchangeable? I heard that different manufacturers have different shaft diameters

So far i have not come across any that don't fit. I have a few, a fuzzy one, soft felt, different weights of rubber with felt pads and a wooden one.
Take the one you have for reference to be safe?

Back