Bamboo rods with mesh kits, to reduce the contact sound even further?

maramsp

Hey all.

Would it be a possibillity to play the meshes and cymbal pads with bamboo rods?
I mean, still when i hit my cymbal pads with my vic firth 5a american classic sticks, it sounds quite loud.
And when i played acousticly, i sometimes played with bamboo rods, to reduce the acoustic kit volume.
So would it work to still have the sensitivity of the triggers, but that it lowers the contact sound when playing with bamboo rods on an electric mesh head kit?

Thanks in advance for thinking aloud with me.

Greetings from Martijn Spiegelaar

Well they aren't as loud because they don't have the same weight and density. So no you're going to need to play harder or reduce the pad-sensitivity to trigger with less impact, it'll also feel kinda bad and you won't get quite as much stick-handling practice benefit.

Hmm, so when i use them rods, i still get normal pad sensitivity when hitting the triggers, but on the other hand i get no stick handling benefit?

For the latter, i dont mind really to not have stick practice benefit, cause i play only at home.

Its only to reduce the contact sounds of the cymbals especially, cause i want to play as quiet as possible to reduce the sound for the neighbours.

Maybe it will help as well, if i switch from 5a, to 7a?
I mean, when i played acousticly, i loved 7a drum sticks, but 5a felt sometimes for some songs more solid.
But now i only have 5a sticks. So maybe, i should get both a 7a, and a bamboo rod, and then see what does the most to reduce contact sound?

Or, when im just playing at home, should i go for rods, and then stick with that, if i want to play as silent as possible?

As well, i have found some rods, that claims to feel like normal sticks to some degree, like the vick firth rute (x-light etc) so maybe its just a matter of getting used to playing with rods? Or do i see it too easily maybe, or that there isnt a real good method of playing very silent on e drums, compared to how it is now?

Thanks again!

If you're not worried about "proper" practice for stick handling, you could try all sorts of things, maybe put some foam "grip" tape on the top taper of the stick so you're not impacting with as much "slap" on the cymbals, you could try those little rubber stick tips you can get, you could go back to the rod-stick idea but use electrical tape to tighten the bundle so you get a little more weight but less impact... You'll never be silent unfortunately but there's things you can do. Often the biggest complaint of people with e-drums is the noise and vibrations caused by the "bass" drum, which you almost need to build a damper platform to "fix".

If you're not worried about "proper" practice for stick handling, you could try all sorts of things, maybe put some foam "grip" tape on the top taper of the stick so you're not impacting with as much "slap" on the cymbals, you could try those little rubber stick tips you can get, you could go back to the rod-stick idea but use electrical tape to tighten the bundle so you get a little more weight but less impact... You'll never be silent unfortunately but there's things you can do. Often the biggest complaint of people with e-drums is the noise and vibrations caused by the "bass" drum, which you almost need to build a damper platform to "fix".

Speaking of which. Can i just cut tennis balls in half, and lay them underneath my drum carpet, to create a sort of damper platform?

I also have found things like damper stuff in the stores, but 1 is too small, and one is big enough, but too expensive.

So, i thought, why not DOY, and place half tennis balls underneat my drum carpet.

Would that be an option you think?

Speaking of which. Can i just cut tennis balls in half, and lay them underneath my drum carpet, to create a sort of damper platform?

I also have found things like damper stuff in the stores, but 1 is too small, and one is big enough, but too expensive.

So, i thought, why not DOY, and place half tennis balls underneat my drum carpet.

Would that be an option you think?
Ususal:

Beaterless kick. KT9/KT10/KU100/FatKat or a Triggera Krigg with your acoustic pedal (
)

So for wooden rods, maybe better apply some tape on the tip then?
And thanks for the tip of these beaterless kicks.
Can i use them still on my mps 1000?

What are you talking about? You complaining about pad noise? you do realize that stick noise you hear is not heard by the audience, right? Your only concern is what’s coming out of the speakers. Nobody else hears when you hit the pads, so I wouldn’t worry about it. For now, point your amp at yourself or wear headphones.

Ofcourse i already have headphones. But i live in an appartment block, and one neighbour started complaining. Thats why i created this topic, and while your right with that nobody hears it with the snare and tom mesh pads, the mesh bass drum, and the rubber hi hat and cymbals pads definitely van be heard by others cause of contact sound

Noise is usually from the pedals, so try a tennis ball riser or other remedies first. And what about getting lighter sticks? I'd be worried about using anything on mesh that can get stuck in it, it's a fine net. There's also a product called Silent Sticks, but they're very thin and don't really feel or behave like drumsticks, you might as well just play with plastic straws. Talking to the neighbors and agreeing on a schedule is an option, too.

So for wooden rods, maybe better apply some tape on the tip then?
And thanks for the tip of these beaterless kicks.
Can i use them still on my mps 1000?
I'll second the Silent Sticks- you won't get quieter than these (just may have to turn up the sensitivity to account for much lighter hits). http://www.lidwishsoulutions.com/index.asp

And yes, tennis ball riser will cut down on noise but doesn't eliminate it completely unfortunately (or so I've found).

The Krigg Triggera's work with most modules so I don't see why it shouldn't with the Millenium kits.

Back