Are Ludwig Vistalite Jellybean Kits Really A Thing?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Really? Are they popular? Iconic? Collectable? Wow the crowd when you're playing one with your bar band at the local gig? I think they're pretty cool, but then I also think Mott The Hoople was cool lol.

How do the drummers playing Vistalites keep from scratching the shells? I bump my shells together sometimes when setting up and breaking down - does each bump = scratch/gouge/oh crap look what I did?

I remember after seeing one in the Ludwig ‘75 catalog my 9-year-old self wanted one. I believe it’s a thing because as an adult I’ve seen a few - and they’re easy to put together used since finding orphans are easier these days. You just have to be careful where you use them - brides don’t like being upstaged at their weddings (and I believe Elvis had a problem with one color Vistalite kits according to Ronnie Tutt).

Really? Are they popular? Iconic? Collectable? Wow the crowd when you're playing one with your bar band at the local gig?

I'm not sure I've ever seen one in person. As for smaller gigs, I don't know if a 4 or 5-pc kit would have the same impact as the full concert tom rig... which you wouldn't be bringing into a bar anyway.

How do the drummers playing Vistalites keep from scratching the shells?

Use bags/cases and don't nest the tom without protection between them, and be careful when handling them. I've got a white Vistalite concert tom kit, but I've only used it on 2 gigs and in the studio.

I’ve seen posts from jellybean Vistalite fans on forums but I’ve never seen a kit on any size of stage. For me personally I wouldn’t do it unless it matched the vibe of the band, like psychedelic. I’d be more inclined to get a clear kit and fit it with a color changing LED system.

Obligatory pics of my Jellybean kit! (taken before I got a 13" Red tom to make all colors different and complete the look)

Here's the post I made about them including more pics and the restoration process.
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/1970s-ludwig-vistalite-jelly-bean-kit.165710/

Before restoration

eT0WnXr.png

After restoration

ryZWQnp.jpeg

For me, I'd be afraid of routinely scratching the acrylic. Tonite I was moving my Tama kit and banged rack tom into snare several times. Happens routinely with me. I would not be a good candidate to be a Vistalite owner.

For me, I'd be afraid of routinely scratching the acrylic. Tonite I was moving my Tama kit and banged rack tom into snare several times. Happens routinely with me. I would not be a good candidate to be a Vistalite owner.
Vistalites are fun to play and they're a nice change of pace from other wood drums. Don't let the fear of scratching be the dealbreaker.

In this photo, you can see the gaffer tape I put on the rack tom to prevent snare rash. I also use it for other contact points. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it gets the job done!

DORADOY.png

My mother used to advise me against buying drums mis-matching in colour (except snare drums), as she thought they would look "cheap" as a kit. I mostly agree, but a few jellybean sparkles or Vistas still look fun.
I don't see many jellybean acrylic kits here in China. Most acrylic kits tend to be clear or transparent red. Most are seamless bespoke shells, though, and are not Ludwig.

Yes.
Are they popular?
For some people, I'm sure.
Not really.
Collectable?
For maybe some people.
Wow the crowd when you're playing one with your bar band at the local gig?
99.9% of the crowd doesn't care about drum finishes.

I think they're pretty cool, but then I also think Mott The Hoople was cool lol.

How do the drummers playing Vistalites keep from scratching the shells? I bump my shells together sometimes when setting up and breaking down - does each bump = scratch/gouge/oh crap look what I did?

I don't know how people keep them looking pristine over the years if they actually gig them. I love the idea of a Vista kit, but I just don't know if they are for me. I personally prefer old, beat-up vintage kits as opposed to new and shiny sets. If I were to get a set of acrylics, I'd probably try to find a set of Fibes. I played a 1990's set of Fibes at Nelson in Nashville about 6 months ago, and I really liked it, but not enough to buy them. I'd also be more likely to find a set that's got a few repaired cracks and some scratches. This way I could get them for cheap and I wouldn't have to worry about them as much.

Ludwig did a reissue of the jellybean kit at some point fairly recently (say, within the past 10 years or so?). I saw a set in person and the looked really cool, but it's just not my thing.

Maxwell's has some really great deals on the newly issued Vistalites. That's why I asked. But I don't think my blues band would be into it, and certainly not my conservative jazz combo. I've never seen one played around here, or anywhere else. I thought about getting one just to play in the basement, but I have grandkids and they've been known to knock a cymbal or two over and crash into the drums. They've toppled their share of snares, too.

Back