Aquarian Hi Velocity heads

mikec

Has anyone had the issue where the top coating comes off after playing a few songs? Head is brand new.

Thx
Mike

I've never had a problem with coating coming off of any Aquarian heads I own. They have the most durable coating of any head I've played, so if you have coating coming off I'd take some photos and get in touch with Aquarian. It sounds like you have a defective head.

I've seen the coating come off those. When it does, it seems to come off quickly and in big patches, rather than a gradual wearing.

Back when Roy Burns still handled things personally, they replaced them for a friend of mine who called. I suspect they still will.

I've seen the coating come off those. When it does, it seems to come off quickly and in big patches, rather than a gradual wearing.

Back when Roy Burns still handled things personally, they replaced them for a friend of mine who called. I suspect they still will.
Thats exactly what happened. Sweetwater sent out a replacement asap but the replacement head did the same thing.

Aquarian did have a batch of bad coating a couple months ago. I was on tour all of June and every head I had the coating flaked off after one show. I notified them, and they quickly remedied it. I was sent a prototype head with a new coating in early July, bashed away on it for about a week and had no issues. In fact I just did 10 shows on the road with a Hi-Velocity head and it still looks new! It's my understanding this new coating has gone into production, however there's no telling how many heads got out with the defective batch prior to that.

Aquarian did have a batch of bad coating a couple months ago. I was on tour all of June and every head I had the coating flaked off after one show. I notified them, and they quickly remedied it. I was sent a prototype head with a new coating in early July, bashed away on it for about a week and had no issues. In fact I just did 10 shows on the road with a Hi-Velocity head and it still looks new! It's my understanding this new coating has gone into production, however there's no telling how many heads got out with the defective batch prior to that.
Wow!!! Thanks for replying!! I really dig the H V heads.

I honestly don't know if I believe the isolated "bad batch" story they tell. I saw this happening back in 2005 on various Aquarian heads. I didn't use a lot of the Aquarians myself, but my drumming buddy swore by them. He didn't mind the coating issues because they were cheaper and sounded decent, even when the coating flaked off. I had other issues that turned me off to them somewhat.

I don't know why coating comes off quickly sometimes and not others, but I've been seeing the phenomenon for decades, so I don't think it's a single batch. And to be fair, I've seen it with others brands, too.

I honestly don't know if I believe the isolated "bad batch" story they tell. I saw this happening back in 2005 on various Aquarian heads. I didn't use a lot of the Aquarians myself, but my drumming buddy swore by them. He didn't mind the coating issues because they were cheaper and sounded decent, even when the coating flaked off. I had other issues that turned me off to them somewhat.

I don't know why coating comes off quickly sometimes and not others, but I've been seeing the phenomenon for decades, so I don't think it's a single batch. And to be fair, I've seen it with others brands, too.
Thanks for replying. I have used remo and evans heads on and off for years and never had this issue with them.

I've been endorsing Aquarian for 17 years, and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with the coating. It was only the snare heads I got in June for a tour, and since then nothing I've gotten from them has had any issues at all.

I've been endorsing Aquarian for 17 years, and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with the coating. It was only the snare heads I got in June for a tour, and since then nothing I've gotten from them has had any issues at all.
Oh yeah, I don't doubt your individual experience at all! I just mean I've seen these things come and go, from Aquarian and other manufacturers, and I don't see a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it.

For all I know, it was more humid one day than the next, or maybe some dust got on the film, or the sprayer needed cleaning. Maybe it's the Monday or Friday heads that flake off. 😊

I have the Modern Vintage II heads on my toms and super kick II on the kick.The sound great!

Back