And My New Zildjian Cymbal Series Is . . .

One of the cats I study with has a pearl Endorsement and he just got a KILLER new set.

I would play the heck out of it...and it's loaded up with Remo colored heads - I love it haha. Absolutely love it tbh.

It's a "Reference Pure" in Satin Rose Gold with Nickel Hardware.

That's an endorsement kit for sure!

Links to said examples, please? :)

I wouldn't use those videos as flattering sound files. As much as I like Chad's playing, the quality of those home recordings is poor. They almost turned me off from the series. I dismissed them and found much better examples.

That 21" ride cymbal is very nice... Very nice. :)
Thanks.

Nick D'Virgilio does a nice demo of the A Avedis series for Sweetwater. He describes the cymbals in detail and shows their versatility for various ranges of music. He even plays them with mallets.

The Avedis line is really growing on me, you made a wise choice. I completely ignored them at first because they're supposedly similar to the A line, which is not my thing. (except for the New Beat hi-hats)

Then I started to realize they sound different. I would describe them as having a smoother, less "gritty" sound than the As. They're also more focused and devoid of raucous overtones. And that woody stick definition!

The Avedis line is really growing on me, you made a wise choice. I completely ignored them at first because they're supposedly similar to the A line, which is not my thing. (except for the New Beat hi-hats)

Then I started to realize they sound different. I would describe them as having a smoother, less "gritty" sound than the As. They're also more focused and devoid of raucous overtones. And that woody stick definition!

Woodiness is an apropos term. My 21" ride has a very woody bow. It's probably the mellowest ride I've ever owned, aside from a K Crash Ride I had for a few years. The overall tone of the A Avedis is better though.

Avedis hats are lighter than New Beats. In fact, my 15"s weigh less than some New Beat 14"s. Avedis hats have a lower pitch too, which is what I wanted. So far, they're my favorite hats ever, and I've owned some pretty fine ones over the years. The 15" hats were really what sealed the deal for me with this series.

For some reason, the Avedis category gets overlooked a lot. K disciples are sometimes reluctant to approve of anything with an A in front of it, which might be at work in this case. I've played mostly As over the last four decades (both regulars and Customs), but none of them have come close to the Avedis line in my book. It sits perfectly in the stratosphere between As and Ks, exhibiting the best attributes of both.

Woodiness is an apropos term. My 21" ride has a very woody bow. It's probably the mellowest ride I've ever owned, aside from a K Crash Ride I had for a few years. The overall tone of the A Avedis is better though.

Avedis hats are lighter than New Beats. In fact, my 15"s weigh less than some New Beat 14"s. Avedis hats have a lower pitch too, which is what I wanted. So far, they're my favorite hats ever, and I've owned some pretty fine ones over the years. The 15" hats were really what sealed the deal for me with this series.

For some reason, the Avedis category gets overlooked a lot. K disciples are sometimes reluctant to approve of anything with an A in front of it, which might be at work in this case. I've played mostly As over the last four decades (both regulars and Customs), but none of them have come close to the Avedis line in my book. It sits perfectly in the stratosphere between As and Ks, exhibiting the best attributes of both.
How does it feel to crash that ride now coming from your 20” S?

How does it feel to crash that ride now coming from your 20” S?

Oh, I rarely crash my rides. I mostly ride them, though the Avedis ride crashes very easily. I've played primarily medium rides over the years, but I'm glad I went light this time around. The Avedis is quite easy-going.

I forgot to mention my S Family cymbals. I gave two away and put the hats, the ride, and a crash in storage for my seven-year-old son. He's playing a Pearl Roadshow with undersized cymbals right now, but he'll be ready for adult bronze soon. I figured it would make more sense to give him what's already here than to buy him new cymbals when the time comes.

I love to combine As and Ks. A and A Custom crashes and K rides; a nice contrast consisting of bright crashes and darker rides. Exceptions exist. I have an 18" A thin crash that sounds like a K dark. I've heard some pretty bright and crisp 16-18" K crashes, too.
I can't live without my 20" thin K Custom flat ride. Dark and whispery.

I love to combine As and Ks. A and A Custom crashes and K rides; a nice contrast consisting of bright crashes and darker rides. Exceptions exist. I have an 18" A thin crash that sounds like a K dark. I've heard some pretty bright and crisp 16-18" K crashes, too.
I can't live without my 20" thin K Custom flat ride. Dark and whispery.

It really comes down to finding a signature sound. Some go for contrast, a combination of dark and light. I like a unified cymbal voice, so I buy only one series at a time. Lots of ways to go about it. All have merit of some sort.

Oh, I rarely crash my rides. I mostly ride them, though the Avedis ride crashes very easily. I've played primarily medium rides over the years, but I'm glad I went light this time around. The Avedis is quite easy-going.

I forgot to mention my S Family cymbals. I gave two away and put the hats, the ride, and a crash in storage for my seven-year-old son. He's playing a Pearl Roadshow with undersized cymbals right now, but he'll be ready for adult bronze soon. I figured it would make more sense to give him what's already here than to buy him new cymbals when the time comes.
Very cool! He will definitely enjoy larger cymbals.

Ahem. I remember a certain stalwart of Drummerworld announcing that the only crash he would ever need is a 17"...
I found this very reassuring having just bought a 17" paper thin myself.
Would you, sir, accept that with your latest purchase you've not only let Drummerworld down and, specifically, me down - but that, more than that, you've let yourself down?
?

Ahem. I remember a certain stalwart of Drummerworld announcing that the only crash he would ever need is a 17"...
I found this very reassuring having just bought a 17" paper thin myself.
Would you, sir, accept that with your latest purchase you've not only let Drummerworld down and, specifically, me down - but that, more than that, you've let yourself down?

A 17" is a great all-purpose crash. The Avedis line, though, is sparse in its offerings. Hats are made in 14", 15" and 16". All other cymbals are categorized as crash-rides and are available in 18" through 22". No 17"s are to be had, but I wanted to go bigger anyway. In fact, I've since picked up a second Avedis 19", so I'm now playing 15" hats with two 19"s as crashes and a 21" ride. The 18" I bought is just on reserve as a backup.

Back