+ 1 Jeff Beck with Bozzio & Hymas

Patrice

Morphine

Soulive

Medeski, Martin, and Wood

Brad Mehldau with Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard

PRIMUS!!!!! lol

Hendrix, The Police, Rush, Cream, Emerson Lake and Palmer

I listened to some Mehldau with Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard today. They are excellent.

I love Fly Trio. Which is Grenadier, Ballard and Mark Turner on tenor. Great saxophone trio. But I'm a huge Mark Turner fan, your mileage may vary.

I like Metheny's trio with McBride and Sanchez, but think I prefer the Grenadier, Bill Stewart version. The Question and Answer trio with Roy Haynes and Dave Holland might be my favorite of his trios. That record is super heavy. Although the Jaco Pastorious, Bob Moses team on Bright Sized Life is no joke either.

I guess he's had some trios if the Sanchez/McBride group is my fourth favorite- and I really liked the music they made.

Sorry if these posts get to be rambling. I happen to love the trio format, I think it can be very musical and democratic, allowing the drummer the space to make a more significant musical contribution beyond just keeping time. Cheers, Ahmad Jamal and Bill Evans, that was pretty cool how you developed the concept of the more democratic trio.

There's only one trio. Everything else is just a three-piece group. http://youtu.be/mi0EjOEVavs

That is one amazing group. I could actually listen to them if Jarrett would not make any of those vocal noises.

Trios I like:

Gov't Mule (original version, now a quartet)
Rush
ELP
Brad Mehldau Trio
Frank Gambale, Stuart Hamm, and Steve Smith
Niacin
Hellborg/Lane/Sipe

Peace and goodwill.

I can't believe there has only been one mention of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Seriously what is this place coming to when one of the most influential and greatest bands of all time goes almost unmentioned. Also Cream! I'd be very hard pressed to find 3 better musicians.

Primus Sucks.

*twenty*

Around the time of Frizzle Fry?

Yeah, if you have ears that don't work properly. ;-)

Horses for courses, my friend. (I, e.g., cannot get into Led Zeppelin. There, I said it.)

Patrice

Anybody mention the Jimi Hendrix experience yet? perhaps the first power trio ever...

The Abert Mangelsdorff/ Jaco Pastorius/ Alphonse Mouzon trio was pretty intense too..

..and particularly badass thesedays for the jazztypes that havent checked them out already- Bela Fleck/Edgar Meyer/Zakir Hussain. An Acoustic trio that can blow a barn down.

I can't believe there has only been one mention of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. ...

Also Cream! I'd be very hard pressed to find 3 better musicians.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated but we only need one mention per band, don't we?

+ Million.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated but I'm afraid it's one vote per person.

Ain't nothing better than John Mayer Trio.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated but it's a matter of taste. Steve, John and Pino ... they're all a joy to listen to.

Anybody mention the Jimi Hendrix experience yet? perhaps the first power trio ever...

..and particularly badass thesedays for the jazztypes that havent checked them out already- Bela Fleck/Edgar Meyer/Zakir Hussain. An Acoustic trio that can blow a barn down.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated but, as per the above, there have been both mentions of Jimi and subsequent lobbying for the aforementioned artist ...

Bela Fleck/Edgar Meyer/Zakir Hussain have a lovely sound. They're kinda kulcheral like ...

Just being sensible ... it seems we have a few trio categories ...

- rock trio, usually with one or two singing

- jazz trios - rhythm section, generally with piano, guitar or sax

- world music

- drumless trios ... this group's at least as stratospheric as Hiromi's band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKXaUkEBgbo

- oddball ... we can't forget Giles, Giles and Fripp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLukUKA1khM

Polly,

This was one of my favorite trios, only ever heard (by me) on this record. Tremendous stuff:

1232373567_flanagan.jpg

A sample: http://youtu.be/vBKyEBPEUjU

Forgot another one ... not exactly Keith Jarrett, but a damn good and funky Aussie RnR band. I've just attached a snippet to avoid a copyright breach - it's promo!

The vocal is meh but check out the awesome rhythm section.

Attachments

• celebration snippet.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Back