Adding a Rail Mount to Gretsch New Classics Question

Sorry, that immediately makes me think of the scene in That Thing You Do when the reporter asks Guy if his sunglasses are prescription or if he's just trying to look cool and Guy uncertainly says "Uh, well...I am the drummer..." and the reporter is like "Oh". One of my favorite movie moments lol.
LOL

It looks cool to me ‘cuz it looks like it would fit my setup style better than a tom tree on the bass, which I have never been able to configure to a comfortable position for me. I’ll never go back to a tom tree.

And I just saw that movie a few nights ago. I never realized the drummer was the protagonist, and gets the girl! Maybe you *should* wear sunglasses.

LOL

It looks cool to me ‘cuz it looks like it would fit my setup style better than a tom tree on the bass, which I have never been able to configure to a comfortable position for me. I’ll never go back to a tom tree.

And I just saw that movie a few nights ago. I never realized the drummer was the protagonist, and gets the girl! Maybe you *should* wear sunglasses.

Oh man, it's one of my all time favorites!

LOL

#teamjimmy

Shades was never my bag despite playing our instrument.

If you've never played with a rail mount you may want to try it out first before drilling your shell. I grew up playing a rail mount and even adapted it for left hand playing. It's great for gigging, looks cool and does the job for me. If you don't like bouncy toms go with something else. My Renowns have the GTS system and they are rock solid.

#teamjimmy

Shades was never my bag despite playing our instrument.

No way, Jimmy was a tool! LOL
But if we're being honest, Lenny was really my guy.

My question is how much of a sacrilege would it be to do so?

None. My POV is that drums are a tool, and do whatever you want to make the tool more useful. It's not like you bought Ringo's original Ed Sullivan kit and decided to rip the wrap off and stain it. These are not collector's items, so do whatever you want to make them better for you!

New Classics are nice drums, and while I don't see myself selling them, you never know. How much would it hurt the resale value, or make them less desirable?

It may hurt resale a little (depending on the buyer), but will the convenience of having it outweigh the potential financial loss? Let's say you have to sell them at a $25-$50 loss BUT the rail mount made it more convenient for you to make an extra $500 this summer. In addition, is the convenience worth any potential loss? Only you can answer it.

Honestly I think a rail mount would have a classy, vintage look and I'm not worried about it looking bad. I'm just curious how much of a no-no it would be, if at all. Thanks in advance.

I don't mean this as any offense, but current Asian-made drums at this price-point aren't worth a lot as compared with their USA-made counterparts, and resale is never going to be that great on them...especially if you bought them new. IMO, the primary question you need to answer is "Will I enjoy my drum set more with a rail mount or less?" Once you answer that, then you'll know your answer.

I'm kind of old school when it comes to rack Toms. I've always felt like they belong on the bass drum that's how I grew up everybody had them on the bass drums. I bought a rail for my Ludwig Club date simply because of the way it looks. I wanted it to look old-fashioned like the rest of the drums look so that's why I went with the rail. On any other drum set I think I'd rather have your standard Tom holders that go up and down and pivot like tamas or yamaha's mapex any of them except for Pearl LOL sorry pearl fans I had to throw that in there

I was using a snare stand for a long time, but I decided to give the rail a shot with the '67 Ludwig set I have. I really like the rail (for looks and placement). the new Broadkaster set I have has one too. I almost skipped using it on that set because it always shifted, but after a long time of adjusting and tightening I finally got it to stay in place.

No way, Jimmy was a tool! LOL
But if we're being honest, Lenny was really my guy.

Ahem.

Jimmy was NOT a tool - he was talented, ambitious and went on to have a healthy career.

Shades was a dopey sap and him and Fay were perfect for each other.

Lenny was great - but dumb.

TB Player barely deserves to be mentioned hahaha.

...I think TTYD you is a really a mirror for musicians haha. I'm probably a Jimmy IRL. And that's ok. :)

I don't mean this as any offense, but current Asian-made drums at this price-point aren't worth a lot as compared with their USA-made counterparts, and resale is never going to be that great on them...especially if you bought them new. IMO, the primary question you need to answer is "Will I enjoy my drum set more with a rail mount or less?" Once you answer that, then you'll know your answer.

Lol, I consider any kit above $1000 mark "nice".

Well I went ahead and did it, and you guys were right, it did take some finagling to get the drum where I wanted. But all in all, I dig it.
Is it midway between the batter & reso heads? Or slightly toward the batter side?

Is it midway between the batter & reso heads? Or slightly toward the batter side?

It's actually a bit forward toward the batter of the kick.

Back