Adding a Rail Mount to Gretsch New Classics Question

acsunda

Hey guys, quick question. The Gretsch New Classic kit I play has a virgin kick, and I currently have the rack tom in a snare stand. However, in an effort to minimize hardware, I'm thinking of adding a rail mount onto the kick. My question is how much of a sacrilege would it be to do so? New Classics are nice drums, and while I don't see myself selling them, you never know. How much would it hurt the resale value, or make them less desirable? Honestly I think a rail mount would have a classy, vintage look and I'm not worried about it looking bad. I'm just curious how much of a no-no it would be, if at all. Thanks in advance.

I haven't dealt with many rail mounts, but what about a normal mount with a tom post? You clamp a ride to that and you lose a cymbal stand at the same time. That's what I normally run.

I also have a DW Ultralight snare stand for a tom. It doesn't get much lighter than that.

Most of the new rails I've seen look cumbersome and appear to be a pita to break down. Slippage is another concern.

I'm all for modifying to suit one's needs, and rail mounts look awesome, so do it to it if that's what you prefer.

I recently bought a Ludwig club date kit the new version with a virgin kick. I added a DW vintage rail mount for one rack Tom and I like it just fine. I hung the Tom off of a cym. stand for a while before I added the rail. I wanted to make sure that I really did want to add the rail to my Kick so I waited a month or two. I have no regrets the whole kit has a vintage vibe and the rail complements it well.

Have you seen these new stealth racks by Gibralter. https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/gsds/

Wow I haven't seen those, before. It's an ingenious idea.

I recently bought a Ludwig club date kit the new version with a virgin kick. I added a DW vintage rail mount for one rack Tom and I like it just fine. I hung the Tom off of a cym. stand for a while before I added the rail. I wanted to make sure that I really did want to add the rail to my Kick so I waited a month or two. I have no regrets the whole kit has a vintage vibe and the rail complements it well.

That looks great! Did you position it in the middle of the kick? I usually see them off to one side.

I've never seen that before. that's a cool solution to not having to drill, but doesn't solve the less hardware issue.

there's someone selling a New Classic on Reverb that a rail was added to: https://reverb.com/item/32730090-gretsch-new-classic-22-13-16

That's actually a big help because it lets me know that the rail doesn't seem to be hurting it's value (based on the number of watchers and offers), and it also gives me an idea of what they'll look like with a rail and an idea of where to position it on the kick. Thanks!

I would add a standard Tom mount personally.
Rail mounts aren’t very practical and are only for right handed one up guys. Regular mounts can be used either side and for two mounted toms.

I would add a standard Tom mount personally.
Rail mounts aren’t very practical and are only for right handed one up guys. Regular mounts can be used either side and for two mounted toms.

True, but that's how play anyway, right handed/one up. Plus I really don't want to put a giant hole in my kick.

Looking at that silver kit, I’d place the rail dead centre. That mounting system provides plenty of reach to the side, unlike old fashioned ones which clipped straight onto the shell of the tom.

That looks great! Did you position it in the middle of the kick? I usually see them off to one side.
I don't think it's in the center of the kick if you mean from front to back. If you mean directly on top of the Kik from side-to-side then yes it is in the center. I hope that makes sense.

The Atlas Arch rail mount comes with lugs you swap out. No drilling necessary.
The Atlas system is great, it’s totally reversible. Will it be compatible with the cool lugs of the new classic?

an effort to minimize hardware, I'm thinking of adding a rail mount onto the kick.
Why not use a combo stand, one that holds a cymbal and tom? Besides, doesn't a bass drum with rail require a larger sized drum bag/case?

1590323023181.png

Why not use a combo stand, one that holds a cymbal and tom? Besides, doesn't a bass drum with rail require a larger sized drum bag/case?

View attachment 92739

Used this system for years on another kit, and never really liked it.

Last edited:
The Atlas Arch rail mount comes with lugs you swap out. No drilling necessary.

Damn, I wish I'd checked back here before I pulled the trigger on the DW rail mount! (which I just did, lol)

Used this system for years on another kit, and never really liked it.
Reason? Too much quiver?

Ive used it for 15 years and love it. I now hang my cable-remote hats off it, too. One stand, three instruments.

Reason? Too much quiver?

Ive used it for 15 years and love it. I now hang my cable-remote hats off it, too. One stand, three instruments.

I don't know. Partly, I don't like to make the position of one thing dependent on the position of another thing. And partly I don't like the aesthetic of it. I like to keep cymbal stands straight if possible, and I just don't like the way the drum looks hanging off of a stand. I guess mostly it's an aesthetic thing. I like to keep things as simple and minimal as possible.

I don't know. Partly, I don't like to make the position of one thing dependent on the position of another thing. And partly I don't like the aesthetic of it. I like to keep cymbal stands straight if possible, and I just don't like the way the drum looks hanging off of a stand. I guess mostly it's an aesthetic thing. I like to keep things as simple and minimal as possible.
Well, a rail mount does look cool. As long as you install it in the right spot, you should be golden.

Well, a rail mount does look cool.

Sorry, that immediately makes me think of the scene in That Thing You Do when the reporter asks Guy if his sunglasses are prescription or if he's just trying to look cool and Guy uncertainly says "Uh, well...I am the drummer..." and the reporter is like "Oh". One of my favorite movie moments lol.

Back