Acrylic Drums

Reilly98

i heard that acrylic drums are louder than other wood drums, and i was going to buy n acrylic set until i heard this, because where i live noise is a big factor.

i heard that acrylic drums are louder than other wood drums, and i was going to buy n acrylic set until i heard this, because where i live noise is a big factor.

Yeah, it's true. Put muffled heads on them.

Louder? Not by much. It's not like if you had maple and they didn't complain, and you got acrylic, and all of a sudden they are complaining, I highly doubt that wouldn't happen.

Louder? Not by much. It's not like if you had maple and they didn't complain, and you got acrylic, and all of a sudden they are complaining, I highly doubt that wouldn't happen.

I agree with this. They aren't going to be THAT much louder.

Acrylic is 18.876% louder than maple on the Diggler scale.

Is that referring to an acrylic drum vs a maple drum, or just a piece of acrylic compared to a piece of maple?

Well in America, it goes by Johnson Rod.
You have an Imperial Martian Dolphin Rut? Digital or holographic?

You guys are leaving out the conversion between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Good point GruntersDad. Acrylic will be louder between 0 and 35 degrees Farenheit, (because of the brittleness factor) after that they are fairly even up until about 85 degrees, that's when maple gets louder as the acrylic becomes softer at the molecular level.

That's purely a misconception. MD magazine commisioned a very scientific study of that topic and found out that it wasn't the drums but the drummers themselves. You see, drummers who use acryllic drums use artificial strokes which tend to be more powerful and produce louder tones. Drummers who play wood use natural strokes and thereby play with more finesse and less volume. So just buy the acryllics but be careful not to use artificial strokes.

...drummers who use acryllic drums use artificial strokes which tend to be more powerful and produce louder tones. Drummers who play wood use natural strokes and thereby play with more finesse and less volume. So just buy the acryllics but be careful not to use artificial strokes.

So are artificial strokes on maple louder than natural strokes on acrylic? I use virtual strokes at all times when air drumming and it isn't very loud at all. My stick twirls are also much more impressive when I use virtually non-existent sticks after several cocktails.

Back