acoustic drum kit ideas

babuz87

Hi, I'm a drummer but I'm not an expert of acoustic live questions. I don't have the knowlege about all percussion stuff that are in commerce and all the possiblity that we have in a acoustic live, they are massive. I have to play light rock songs (like Fleetwood Mac , Sting) . I'd like to make an acoutic drum kit , plaing it staing sit on a drum seat. I'd like to mix and use also hands and drum sticks, or in some case a mix of that. I have a cajon but I like to play it with a normal pedal, so this is probably my kickdrum. I'm looking for a snare sound to create with someting like a pad to put on top of a normal snare to reduce the sound. (I don't know how it is call, I saw many times on top on the marching band snare). Can someone help me to find it on the web? I'd like that to ear good the metal wire sound, not to stop everything. Also I'm thinking about a cajon snare (meinl make good models of those). I need also a cymbal like a mini ride ( I dont'know what mesure , something that permit to swing) and a splash. Also I have cabasa and I like it as a cymbal beacause is playable whit the hands. I don't know how to attach it on the cajon. Can you help me? Do you have any suggestions in general to craete this kind of kit?

I gigged with a tambourine and a cajon. Just set the tambourine on a chair and lay a drumstick across the top.

If you want to go hand percussion, djembe & darbuka are popular drums to use in hand kits. And the Sabian El Sabor Picante is a great cymbal for playing by hand. Snare cajon is certainly a good option. I scored a Remo Mondo snare (quite a few years ago). That's my go to.

Bundle sticks/rods and brushes open up a lot more options, and still keep the volume down. Quite a few 12" snares now, on the market, that make good candidates for low volume kits.

LP (Latin Percussion) has the RAW series. The Trash snare has snare and tambourine add on items, and those can be used on anything with a standard drum hoop.

Using a cajon with a normal pedal is a great idea for a compact setup. This will serve as your kick drum sound. You can experiment with different cajon models to find one that suits your preferences.

Back