A Small fan 4 HOT gigs

A-customs

Silver Member
Hi All...Need a recommendation 4 a fan that works well for moving air but not TO.. big.Thanks in advance.....

I will use this on two gigs on the island today in a ridiculously hot and humid place. I never leave home without it. It has been going 3 years strong.

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 763
+1 to the fan pictured. Just make sure you get the blue color. The yellow Lasko is bigger, a little too big IMO for the stage. The blue is PERFECT for the stage, very directional and a really strong flow.

I will use this on two gigs on the island today in a ridiculously hot and humid place. I never leave home without it. It has been going 3 years strong.

What island, if you don't mind my asking? And if you do mind, no need to reply, and I'll get the message. I don't mean to be too nosy.

Blue is 2013, the new 2014 are grey/black. WAL MART bought a shipload of 2013's, I would stay away from blue, I had bad luck with them.

Bought a grey one at LOWES, seems better built. In any case 'save the receipt' just in case something goes south within a year. LASKO will replace within a year.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 359
I know that you already bought one but this may help others. I made one from a $20 fan that I bought from Home depot. I secured a clamp to the base for mounting to my cymbal stand.

Attachments

• 1002093_4920233815936_1658899173_n.jpg
    1002093_4920233815936_1658899173_n.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 375
  • 1044508_4920234455952_1593974873_n.jpg
    1044508_4920234455952_1593974873_n.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 370
I know that you already bought one but this may help others. I made one from a $20 fan that I bought from Home depot. I secured a clamp to the base for mounting to my cymbal stand.

This was my go to fan for a while. Thing blows like a motha-shut yo mouth.

I also have used clip on fans and attached them to clamps, stands, bass drum hoops even.

This was my go to fan for a while. Thing blows like a motha-shut yo mouth.

I also have used clip on fans and attached them to clamps, stands, bass drum hoops even.
I used it all last summer at campground gigs that I play and it works perfect. I can tilt it exactly how I want it. It is quiet. I have seen expensive clamp on fans that didn't work as well as my DIY one. I will be using it again this summer. The best thing is that it blows bugs away as I play outdoors.
I direct it to hit my upper leg area, chest and face. I usually leave it on low speed because that is all that I need.
It only took me a few mins to rig the fan to the clamp using a piece of tubing from an old mic stand and a drill.

My fan is better than your fan Bob. I'd bet the Gurus on it. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. That fan is so ghetto. OMG. Really. Puh-lease. Cut me a break. You're killing me over here. Are you REALLY taking that thing onstage? I can't take it I tell ya!

:p

I just bought this one at Best Buy. I wanted something metal to withstand being lugged to gigs but the metal ones are so big. For $20 I can replace it.

Agreed on the Honeywell, it's plenty powerful for most gigs.

On tour, I use this Stanley 'shop' fan, painted black so it doesn't stand out:

fan.jpg

It's not treated very gently, but has held up over 4 tours (so far.)

Bermuda

+1 - I use the Stanley version which is yellow and black.

F

fan.jpg

Bermuda

Made for STANLEY by LASKO.

If you haven't cleaned the tumbler yet, highly recommended. When/if you do pull it apart you'll see how cheaply these early versions are put together. Very susceptible to breakage from a fall.

Les is the forum expert on fans, not even joking.

fan.jpg

Bermuda
You can't kill those Jon, we use them where I work.

Larry, larry, Larry... What am I going to do with you? First you pick on Caddy, now you are after me. Sorry, I'm not biting. :)

Bermuda
You can't kill those Jon, we use them where I work.

Actually a fall can affect it, even if the fall isn't great enough to crack the eggshell housing, it can and will easily break a fin on the tumbler. One little cracked fin on the tumbler will cause an imbalance. Since the tumbler is hitting some pretty high RPM's a cracked fin can cause the tumbler to expand while spinning and clip the sides of the housing, a ticking noise. KRAZY type glue will hold, but it won't last. The new(er) models of this design are better built, the housing material is a softer plastic, not as brittle, better fasteners etc.

Maintenance is key. For most its 'out of sight, out of mind' tho the tumblers get dirty fast, you just can't see the funk like you can on fans with visible blades in the cage.

Some of the guys at work clean the squirrel wheels in their fans and some guys don't. I clean mine in the beginning of the warm season. I have seen those fans drooped from benches, dragged by the power cord, etc. I have never seen one break or become unusable. We have had them for many years now.

Back