A quandary - pull the trigger?

alparrott

Diamond Member
I make it a habit of perusing the Craigslist ads in my small mountain town, mostly to chuckle at "Tom Angles" threadworthy kits being sold for $1000... but then I turned up this listing. 13" K/Zs (judging from the pictures, older ones) for $100.

http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/msg/3443602986.html

I have always wanted a pair of 13"s, and have always wanted a set of K/Zs. For some reason (not because I don't think these are somehow not legit or anything), I am having a difficult moment deciding to pull the trigger.

What do you guys think? Should I offer him $75 because they're "cymbols" and not "cymbals"?

Seems like a good deal to me, even for $100. I'd do it, especially if I'd been wanting them.

Those hats sound great,and if in good shape are well worth 100.The stand is in good shape,and the Tama/Camco pedal is legend.I still have mine from the 80's .It's light and fast ...a good deal at 25.I would be there yesterday..

See if you can talk him down......but do it with cash in hand face to face.It's a great technique and can work in your favor.Best of luck.:)

Steve B

The old K loksk like a great cymbal, but I think the one stamped Z is an el cheapo Zildjian hat no?
Tama Camco is a good part of the deal too. I think its worth it.

Back in the day I owned a set of K/Z's in this size- fine cymbals. I have noticed some differences. While i think the top hat looks like a K, the Z is a top cymbal, the bottom cymbals were extra heavy and had a star shaped hammer mark, the tops had the hexagon pattern seen here. I wouldn't let this deter you- it will make the hats more versatile with just a medium heavy Z bottom.

At $100, if there are no cracks, they're a steal!

See, that's what I thought!

I gave the dude a call and I'll be checking them out after work this afternoon. Just in time to use for that New Year's gig. Happy Christmas to me...

The old K loksk like a great cymbal, but I think the one stamped Z is an el cheapo Zildjian hat no?
Tama Camco is a good part of the deal too. I think its worth it.

The one stamped "Z" is a first series Z Dyno Beat hi-hat bottom. They were the precursors of the Z Customs and Z3s - very thick cymbals catering to hard rock and metal drummers. They were completely upper-grade cymbals, and are not that easy to find any more.

Trigger pulled! The hats were in fantastic condition other than the ink being worn. Ended up with some beater stands and a free pair of sticks too. Happy days!

Attachments

• KZ hats.jpg
    KZ hats.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 98
That top hat is a CIE Constantinople. A US made series I think from the '80s. I used to have a set of 14s. They were originally bright and the precursors to the polished A Customs. Mine had some patina. Heavier than new beats, I think they were intended for louder rock drummers. Mine washed with a nice almost K like trashy sound but you had to lean on them a bit. The bottom is a Z which is really heavy. Probably raises the pitch a bit compared to a normal set of CIEs. Not a typical set of 13's like church drummers would play, but I bet they're bulletproof. Zildjians being what they are, it's always a crapshoot with the sound and if these sound nice, SCORE! Glad you're happy.

Back