A philosophical random thought

It is not the inspiration of this OP. I don't even use it but maybe a couple times in a whole year, if that much. It never mattered to me if it was legal. Not a user, but not against it either. To each their own on that. No, I am naturally goofy.

Yep, just going for the low-hanging fruit there for a cheap laugh. And my goofiness is innate as well, brought to you by my particular blend of neurochemicals and pizazz.

And this is a great topic, I love thinking about this kind of stuff. Rhythm is so powerful at both connecting and moving people and as you stated in your opening post, it's been there since the beginning. It's that "magic" that's addictive and endlessly fascinating that has me continually coming back for more.

"Play the five tones . . . "

iu

Last edited:
When I was younger, there was a gas pump I’d use that sounded out the exact rhythm of “All You Zombies” by The Hooters. So yeah.

You know animals use tools like humans (just never developed technology), many animals can produce sounds that we interpret as musical (like bird song which some species learn song and fewer species have a genetic tendency-but the bird is clueless of it's "musical" nature-it's just a call to a attract a mate, and others is warning or signaling some other info) but humans make music. Art is only created by humans (although many animals can behaviorally create something to attract a mate that we would classify as Art-the animal is clueless of that concept. Lots of animals display intelligence-and we often compare other species to our own-though I'd argue a species intelligence is matched to its survival skills and biology. Lots of mammals (and some birds) display some order of intelligence comparable to a human youth-so is pretty advanced but nothing like high functioning high IQ adult humans. Still even with a species, like dogs , intelligence varies so some individuals more intelligent than others-I've experienced that with dogs and horses, pigs/hogs are very intelligent also.

The whole notion of consciousness and theory of the mind is interesting. Lots of animals have "consciousness" and great apes have recently been ascribed theory of mind ability, but I wager it isn't on scale of that of humans. However I think humans lost a lot in whatever drove our evolution to lose so many olfactory genes, gain lots of immunological change, and our consciousness became more subjective/objective and less focused in fitting in with nature so it all thrives. I wonder if we lost a bit our a collective animal kingdom consciousness in our place in an ecosystem though I think we gained more about our place on earth and universe. So it's like lower animals have a consciousness and prelude to our theory of mind in that they are just conscious of others being conscious of them. Whereas humans (and great apes) are more advanced and even conscious of their states of mind. I remember I'd stalk rabbits as a youth in my backyard. I'd see them in yard and test how close I could sneak up on them. Not very successful when I was focused but I don't know how many times I'd just be walking in the area and I'd walk up on a rabbit frozen and wouldn't move as I was doing something in the yard till I suddenly became conscious of the rabbit- and even faced away from me they would suddenly take off like they knew I was conscious of their presence. A strange 6th sense I always reasoned. I think we lost that. Horses can read a human way better than we can read a horse. I think dogs are often more a tuned to human emotional states than humans dogs , and we often miss their needs. I think we lost some of whatever it is that connects us to nature. When I was a youth I grew up in a hunting family so I became a ruthless killing machine. In my mind there was no end of a supply of birds, mammals, and fish for me to bag. Didn't take long to wipe out my squirrel and fish honey holes, and we wiped out most of the deer in one area mindless killing everything. Live and Learn.

Last edited:
I remember a movie about trying to generate clean energy with some kind of nuclear reaction in a plasma-they couldn't get it to work but by accident/seredipity the fella was listening to music and a certain frequency peaked the reaction. Needed the sound waves at a specific frequency for the gizmo to work. I found the notion captivating. Reminds me of string theory. The universe is flat and infinite but it still may have a shape like a donut or Möbius strip I gather.
Close encounters of the 3rd kind... Music was used to communicate to aliens.

Last edited:
Art is only created by humans.
Well, that explains a lot! Did someone intentionally leave you on your moon base? Or was it a happy accident? (using my Bob Ross voice) :unsure:

And what humans had the temerity to create you, but saw fit to abandon you on the moon? At least we still can communicate through D-World!!

So many questions...

;):ROFLMAO:

I have enough to say about the depth of primal power drummers have and the profound connection to the universe that it gives us, that I really should consider organizing it into chapters, writing a book. Half my posts are a chapter long already. eh. Just random and unorganized. We confirmed that the universe is a collection of vibrations. All of natures effects, sight, sound, touch, the human senses, but also what humans sense without awareness, and metaphysical, intangible, vibrations all around us, We interact with our thoughts when we put them into focus at precisely a number of beats per minute and keep it there, we have tapped into a super power. It is the Primal power of the universe in our hands. We control TIME ITSELF. For the duration of the song anyway. Time management between the homestead and the primal connections we make is another story. There is a disconnection there. Unplugged. Ok Another thing that makes percussion so great is when the power gets cut, no problem.

Thank you once again for tolerating my drivel.

I guess some kind of creature has to be around to perceive it as music, to be music as we know it. But we were making music before we were even homo sapiens, so it goes way back....
OK Todd...now you stepped in it.

What sound does a song make in the woods if no one can hear it?

OK Todd...now you stepped in it.

What sound does a song make in the woods if no one can hear it?
The sound is even more precious at that point.

The sound of silence.

If a microphone picks up frequencies below the human hearing range, can you hear the sounds when you play back the recording? Such as Two Elephants communicating.

Last edited:
On an earlier thread I was speaking about Information theory-here's an interesting article in that regard. It's interesting in the quantum world information cannot be created or destroyed but it's not finite-it increases as entropy of system to observer increases-so it's unique it's not constant like energy and matter. That makes no sense to me?? Some scientist theorize dark energy/matter contains the information that allows regular matter. It's a different way of thinking about information. When you think about the Big Bang that was a spontaneous expansion of space-time into itself (I envision it like a flat universe (that can have a shape that I invision like an infinite Mobius strip universe that would fold unto itself) with sound and light emerging early and it is still measurable today-so that info still out there. Our atoms are recycled and you see where the idea of "immortality and reincarnation" comes from because in a real sense our atoms and energy are still present . I think in view of relativity the past, present, future all coexist in space-time universe (though I believe some disagree but all three coexisting would be only way time travel feasible). Strange universe we live in. Maybe one day it will all make sense-I haven't a freaking clue. 'People are strange" (in my best Morrison voice) thinking about such stuff-ironically I find it interesting too. https://bigthink.com/surprising-sci...-may-not-be-energy-or-matter-but-information/

Last edited:
To me, some languages , even though I don't understand , are pleasant to listen to . Spanish, Lingala for example are ' musical ' like jazz

Other languages seem to me , harsh, brutalist and martial .

Sounds representing ideas .

Back