Danny Carey

If there is somebody with a fragile ego here it's definitely not me, little kid. I tried to argue in a civilized manner as long as it was possible, but it's better to not discuss with those who behave like little infants. If my opinion about Danny Carey was unsolicited, who asked you to post yours? NOBODY. Now stop whining, ittle kid.

I've actually enjoyed a lot of your posts - but there's no reason for personal attacks and for attacking a player like Danny Carey with such a large following.

I've never ever liked Tool so I have a hard time appreciating the playing - but even I walked away form this thread wanting to explore more of his playing because he seems like a great guy - and maybe I'll open my mind up to Tool a bit more (though my daugther's boyfriend likes them a LOT so I'm instantly going to have get past that haha).

I don't think it's fair to rank drummers like you've done all over this post - I'll never understand that need. Do people do it with painters? Is Monet objectively better or worse than Picasso? Why do it with your fellow drum brothers and sisters and why come on here to pick a fight with people.

And I'll tell you - you are sure confident of your list of people that are better than him - which I don't agree on at all...but what you won't see me doing is posting a bunch of videos and trying to argue that your list and opinion isn't valid then attack you for sticking to your opinions.

Bad form man.

I didn't think it was a crime to compare drummers who belong to the same musical genre.

I didn't came here to fight with people, but i can't be nice with those who are rude to me.

Feel free to do it.

Compare sure - but I don't think that there's a way to quantify one of those people as better - a comparative discussion I think would be a welcome thing. Like "XY drummers handles 7 like this as opposed to AB drummer who handles it this way - and I like this better for these reasons" as opposed "this dude blows this guy away and is better prove me wrong" haha. Which I get because I'm not flower child enough to say that I don't have my strong preferences in drummers - but it's just a matter of how we treat other.

And maybe I didn't catch the parts of threads where people were rude to you as well - I just felt like you came in HOT and got HOT responses back.

That's all my guy - just trying help this place be fun and productive :)

(I can't do it because there's one drummer on your list that I never liked...and I know for a fact that I ever said who it is that I would get flamed out of here from everyone. Though maybe I should just be "That guy" and try to figure out why I don't like his playing and go down for it hahaha)

Last edited:
C'mon say his name, everybody is entitled to have an opinion even if this drummer is considered a GOD.

I'll consider it haha. Just know that when I do and I get banned from here - you played a small part haha.

Crikey, about to bump this thread after 3 1/2 years hehe
Saw this sunday and thought i'd post it here. Very cool!

Crikey, about to bump this thread after 3 1/2 years hehe
Saw this sunday and thought i'd post it here. Very cool!

Danny is legend.

Bonham and Carey are why I play drums.

Reactions: iCe
is just me or has dannys drumming got more hyperactive with age. the last album from what i remember he did the slightly ott drumming that was on jambi but did it for every song pretty much. wasn't a huge fan of that album, but maybe it was a grower and i needed to give it more of a chance. certainly 10,000 days was a grower. he's the gold standard for drumming creativity without being completely unlistenable. like for example thomas lang doing a different paradiddle with every limb.

is just me or has dannys drumming got more hyperactive with age. the last album from what i remember he did the slightly ott drumming that was on jambi but did it for every song pretty much. wasn't a huge fan of that album, but maybe it was a grower and i needed to give it more of a chance. certainly 10,000 days was a grower. he's the gold standard for drumming creativity without being completely unlistenable. like for example thomas lang doing a different paradiddle with every limb.
Agreed. I really liked Fear Innoculum but man he is overplaying in a lot of songs, or just playing when he doesn't need to. That whole album is bloated though.

Agreed. I really liked Fear Innoculum but man he is overplaying in a lot of songs, or just playing when he doesn't need to. That whole album is bloated though.
yeah thats it. he never ever used to overplay in his younger days, every song was just bang on perfect. which is odd because its normally the other way round i should imagine

Agreed. I really liked Fear Innoculum but man he is overplaying in a lot of songs, or just playing when he doesn't need to. That whole album is bloated though.,
I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I'm not a fan of Fear Inoculum, myself, but consider myself a pretty big fan of the band from day one. Or as Maynard would put it, "OGT"
I thought the latest album was a joke at first, knowing how tool messes with their fans. I feel like a lot of the stuff drags on for far too long and I've never once felt like I wished the song would finally end on the previous albums. Invincible is the only tune that I can say that I really like, but that one too seems to go on longer than it should, IMO.

s just me or has dannys drumming got more hyperactive with age.
I don't feel like it's more hyperactive, I just feel like it's just too much tom work.

My theory (besides that they didn't make the album just for me), is that there was just too much time between albums and they all had gone and done their own things for the prior 13 years and kind of lost the chemistry. It kind of sounds a bit forced to sound like Tool again and they overcompensated in the process., but that's just me rambling on about my opinion. Hopefully it won't cause another dust-up with that Keepgrooving and J-W guy. :oops:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I'm not a fan of Fear Inoculum, myself, but consider myself a pretty big fan of the band from day one. Or as Maynard would put it, "OGT"
I thought the latest album was a joke at first, knowing how tool messes with their fans. I feel like a lot of the stuff drags on for far too long and I've never once felt like I wished the song would finally end on the previous albums. Invincible is the only tune that I can say that I really like, but that one too seems to go on longer than it should, IMO.

I don't feel like it's more hyperactive, I just feel like it's just too much tom work.

My theory (besides that they didn't make the album just for me), is that there was just too much time between albums and they all had gone and done their own things for the prior 13 years and kind of lost the chemistry. It kind of sounds a bit forced to sound like Tool again and they overcompensated in the process., but that's just me rambling on about my opinion. Hopefully it won't cause another dust-up with that Keepgrooving and J-W guy. :oops:
I think you're kind of onto something. I also think they just had too many ideas and as a result the album is a bit overstuff and also kind of undercooked. Like, at the end of pneuma, theres clearly meant to be vocals as the guitar pans to the left channel super noticeably, but theres nothing there, so it just sounds weird. And culling voices as a whole is just straigh up unfinished and uninspired. I do love the album though, even with its many flaws.

Main takeaway I got (new info. for me) was how the shell thickness of his Sonor kit starts out thick with the smaller toms and gradually thins as he gets into the larger sizes.

I think you're kind of onto something. I also think they just had too many ideas and as a result the album is a bit overstuff and also kind of undercooked. Like, at the end of pneuma, theres clearly meant to be vocals as the guitar pans to the left channel super noticeably, but theres nothing there, so it just sounds weird. And culling voices as a whole is just straigh up unfinished and uninspired. I do love the album though, even with its many flaws.
I agree. Too many ideas stuffed into one album, but then they overextend some of those ideas as well.

I kept telling myself that my expectations were just too high, so I kept trying to like it, but it just doesn't resonate with me.

I’m glad I’m not alone. I feel like the biggest tool fan on planet earth lol. But fear was a let down. It was like listening to chopped old tool parts sewed together to force a new record. I was really looking forward to it too. Danny is still a drum hero of mine and always will be. He’s a master at his craft 100%. His style was a large influence on me in the early 90’s and i feel like it shaped the career I had through the early 2000’s

I’m glad I’m not alone. I feel like the biggest tool fan on planet earth lol. But fear was a let down. It was like listening to chopped old tool parts sewed together to force a new record. I was really looking forward to it too. Danny is still a drum hero of mine and always will be. He’s a master at his craft 100%. His style was a large influence on me in the early 90’s and i feel like it shaped the career I had through the early 2000’s
I maintain that if they had finished the album at the end of descending it would've been much stronger. It really goes off the rails after that. CC trip is pointless in an album that already has drums overplaying constantly, Culling voices is the audio equivalent of erectile disfunction and tempest is a mess and the lyrics are shockingly bad. But the first 2/3rds of the album are flipping fantastic.

Back