Top 20 Drumming Doctors

Son of Vistalite Black

Being awarded a Doctorate places the recipient in one of the most exclusive clubs in the known world -- literally in the 99th percentile in the U.S. and in even more rarified air worldwide.

Before getting to the list, it should be observed that all of the conferring schools are even worse at football than Son of Vistalite's alma mater, the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (BA., poli. sci.) It should also be noted that Berklee awards doctorates annually to folks like Justin Timberlake, David Bowie and, quite occasionally, to drummers.

It's also interesting to imagine how rocket scientists, surgeons and other egg heads perceive PhD. sheepskins being awarded for "Eat 'Em and Smile" or "Eat to the Beat."

For the parents who shelled out enough cash each semester to buy an A&F drum set, what better day could be imagined than seeing your not-brightest child receive a four-year degree and then having the additional joy of being addressed by one of Son of Vistalite Black's favorite Dr. Drummers:

20. Don "No Contest" Henley - Eagles - Berklee College of Music

19. Will Champion - Coldplay - University of Southampton

18. Sheila E. -- Prince -- Berklee College of Music

17. Peter Erskine -- Weather Report -- Berklee College of Music

16. Victor Lewis -- Stan Getz Quartet, etc. -- University of Nebraska-Lincoln

15. Elvin Jones -- John Coltrane Quartet -- Berklee College of Music

14. Nick Mason -- Pink Floyd -- Westminster University (in Architecture!)

13. Teri Lyne Carrington - Berklee College of Music

12. Fergal Lawler -- The Cranberries -- University of Limerick

11. Harvey Mason -- Bjork, Carlos Santana - Berklee College of Music

10.Gregg Bissonette -- David Lee Roth -- Berklee College of Music

9. Abe Labriol Jr. -- McCartney -- Berklee College of Music

8. Steve Gadd -- Steely Dan, etc. -- Berklee and the University of Rochester

7. Art Blakey -- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers -- Berklee College of Music

6. Clem Burke -- Blondie, Ramones (3 gigs) - University of Gloucestershire

5. Max Weinberg -- The E Street Band -- Lafayette College

4. Roger Taylor -- Queen -- Plymouth University

3. Bernard Purdie -- The Beatles -- Five Towns College

2. Neil Peart - RUSH — Nipissing University (really!)

1. Buddy Rich - The Buddy Rich Band -- Berklee College of Music

Edited 2/17/24 to add Nipissing University. The school name was initially perceived as an attempt at humor.

Last edited:
I don't know what to think about the drumming doctors. I work with people owning high diplomas, occasionally even doctors, means nothing to me anymore.

I used to be intimidated with the thought of interacting with highly educated people, in front of the wealth of knowledge compared to mine but not anymore. I prefer free thinkers today, those who talk freely without fear of losing their licenses.

A doctor asking more "forbidden questions" because science is all about asking question , I like that very much. I have respect for those who will challenge their order occasionally.

So, nothing for The Professor?

mostly it's "advertising" promotion for the style of the university
having a star -speak at commencements and receive
in this case an Honorary degree:

Last edited:
Sonofvistaliteblack.. (Did I say it right)..
I can’t contribute to this, as usual, but I love reading your random drumming queries..
Replies always make the post into something really entertaining..
Your natural intuitive humour is quite rare..
So it made me think, imagine watching a 10/15 minute YouTube vid of this with you in the chair explaining it.. (The post and responses)
It would be amazing..
You could make a few quid, sorry, dollars, and that would be a good thing for you and a lovely thing for us to watch.. Knowing we all contributed..
Do it man. It would be great..
Highest respect mate.
Absolutely not to offend.. Sincerely.

I don't know what to think about the drumming doctors. I work with people owning high diplomas, occasionally even doctors, means nothing to me anymore.

I used to be intimidated with the thought of interacting with highly educated people, in front of the wealth of knowledge compared to mine but not anymore. I prefer free thinkers today, those who talk freely without fear of losing their licenses.

A doctor asking more "forbidden questions" because science is all about asking question , I like that very much. I have respect for those who will challenge their order occasionally.
I am also not impressed by that, I have had the privilege of working with people who wrote books in electronic science, computer science and even rocket science, currently working with one creating the next generation of artificial intelligence. While all that may be impressive, what impresses me is when those people are humble and understand that not everybody has the same amount of interest in the things that they like therefore they pursue different paths.

I work with people owning high diplomas, occasionally even doctors, means nothing to me anymore.

Man, isn't that the truth? I've worked with quite a few folks with Dr. in front of their name. Some are absolutely fantastic while others are blooming idiots. Titles really mean nothing to me as well.

I don't mind honorary degrees except for politicians-that bugs the crap out of me. I'd like to see a PhD scientist who is a drummer receive an honorary music degree because they sacrificed a lucrative musical career for some altruistic bull crap to save humanity ROFL. That's a joke.

Everyone with a degree seems to go by "Doctor" now-like my audiologist goes by that. Interesting she doesn't call me Doctor but I don't make a point of it-just funny to me she does. I hate making generalization so not all Medical doctors, but many ( males in particular to US) are an interesting breed (I come from a long line of them) because many have this huge ego and feel superior to their patients or any layperson. Now I'm a pretty good idiot with my southern slang and goofy demeanor so I love to meet and cajole a new physician so he follows his natural egomaniacal tendency to get bolder and say something stupid. Then I start speaking their lingo and mention my research interest or some new find in their field (most are clueless )and suddenly I'm not an idiot anymore and their whole tone and demeanor changes. Thankfully that isn’t all and a generalization.

Last edited:
Still fairly certain Abe Sr only works as a bassist, so we got one spot open on the list

Oh! I see it has been corrected to read Abe Jr. nevermind

100%
You can have a college degree and still be an idiot. I know many that fit into this.

Seems I need to be another Berklee attendee so I can get one of those fancy Doctorate certificates. Or maybe I'll just use AI & print my own. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back