Drum Fill I'm Trying To Learn

I hear fills like that fairly often in a lot of different songs but I've always had trouble translating that to my playing. Is there a term for that kind of fill that I can use in the future to describe that style?
They're based on groups of 3 notes although there are 4 notes per beat.
There are 4 accents evenly spaced in the first three beats, so it outlines a 4:3 polyrhythm.
These rhythms are used a lot, you're right. I'm writing a ground-breaking book on this subject, so keep posted on my site if you're interested.
In my Time Manipulation drum book there's a full section on this kind of rhythms in a groove context.

Reactions: jda
Here’s a quick and dirty crude drawing of how I heard it.

View attachment 143592

The snare and hi hat together is a pickup note on 4, and the fill is a 4 beat phrase of mostly 16th notes with a snare flam on 4.
I changed my image file, like I said on my edited post I was half awake this morning when I first posted it.
There was no small tom on the left hand accents, so your transcription was more accurate than mine;)

.on the house for you guys don't owe me anything ok? it's between friends..

I changed my image file, like I said on my edited post I was half awake this morning when I first posted it.
There was no small tom on the left hand accents, so your transcription was more accurate than mine;)
It’s cool…we’re not being graded ;)

and you are accenting every third- can be written too as triplets
not unless they are triplets.

Personally I wouldn't even think about the accents until I had sussed out what the basic rhythm is - is this a run of triplets or a run of 16th's. I get the triplets are often in groups of 3's and 16th's can be accented in groups of 3's. But functionally, they are not synonymous. Thus my statement - figure out the rhythm and where the pulse is, then deal with the accents...

The rhythm is a variation of the Bo Diddley groove. The fill is based off the bass drum pattern over the bars preceding.
I..I..I..I..I.I.
Groups of three but in straight 16 time (no swing or triplet)

Sounds like a fill put in a video while the scene is shifting from the intro to the online lesson.
Hey guys (aka boring opening line). Today we're going to look at....so let's get started.
Drum fill as the camera fades then opens at the new scene.
You nailed it. That's exactly where I got it from. I thought I trimmed that part out, so either I missed it, you're incredibly insightful or you've seen the actual video!😁

Last edited:
They're based on groups of 3 notes although there are 4 notes per beat.
There are 4 accents evenly spaced in the first three beats, so it outlines a 4:3 polyrhythm.
These rhythms are used a lot, you're right. I'm writing a ground-breaking book on this subject, so keep posted on my site if you're interested.
In my Time Manipulation drum book there's a full section on this kind of rhythms in a groove context.
I went to the site and I see the e-book. When you say that you're writing that book, does that mean the current version isn't final? If I buy it now and it gets updated later on will I still be able to download the updated version without having to purchase it again? What's the title of that particular section?

I think Jimmy nailed it, maybe Alain too.
It's all 16th notes. the snare and hi-hat splash is on beat four and the next note (can't tell if it's a tom or a bass drum, probably tom) is on beat one. The fill ends with a quarter note (flam) on beat four of the one bar fill.
Beat one is definitely a tom.

My latest version. Still not 100%, but it's as close as I can get it for now.

Update: thanks to everyone's help, I'm able to play it pretty much spot on, which has always been my goal. My latest transcription, however, is still not right. But the most important thing to me is that I can actually play it.

It just occurred to me--there was a SLOW CHILDREN outside the front of my house growing up for a reason😜--that the best way to transcribe it correctly is to record it on my v-drums in my DAW so the next time I play it, that's exactly what I'll do. If that works I'll make a final post and put this one to bed.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their assistance. This is a pretty awesome forum and you guys really knocked it out of the park! My only regret is that I don't know if I'll be able to reciprocate and be able to help anyone else. I will take a look at some of the unanswered questions--assuming there are some--and see if I can help there. I'm a big proponent of the Pay It Forward concept, so I can guarantee that I will return the favor somewhere...

I went to the site and I see the e-book. When you say that you're writing that book, does that mean the current version isn't final? If I buy it now and it gets updated later on will I still be able to download the updated version without having to purchase it again? What's the title of that particular section?

In Time Initiation, Groove Exercise 8, located on page 32 provides variations on groove patterns from your example. The book covers various subjects, including accent patterns in eighth notes with groups of three notes, forming a solid foundation for musical education.

Time Manipulation delves into coordination within a groove context. The second section on polyrhythmic grooves and the third one on anticipations provide a broader perspective on the groove patterns from your example.

These two books combined offer a rich array of material to keep you engaged for years.

Both books are finalized and available in printed form. Time Manipulation is already accessible as an ebook, and the ebook version of Time Initiation is pending release.

Excitingly, I'm currently crafting a third book focused on fills and solo patterns. It will showcase numerous variations around the fill pattern from your example, serving as a valuable resource for drummers, including yourself.

You nailed it. That's exactly where I got it from. I thought I trimmed that part out, so either I missed it, you're incredibly insightful or you've seen the actual video!😁

It just sounded like one. And there've been times that the drum pattern in a scene shift has intrigued me more than the video content.

I have a weird insight 'gift'. I can pick up on people who played in school band and which instrument they played.

Final Version After recording the part in my DAW repeatedly, I took the most common version of it and created the final version in the link above. While it may not be a perfect translation of the original part, I believe it captures the spirit of it well enough that I feel comfortable closing this out.OnceFillFinal.jpg
Note: I used ghost notes above to simulate the change in volume only. They're not technically ghost notes, AFAIK, but they worked well for the intended affect if you listen to the final version in the link above. Once again, thanks to everyone that was thoughtful enough to help me out!

Final Version After recording the part in my DAW repeatedly, I took the most common version of it and created the final version in the link above. While it may not be a perfect translation of the original part, I believe it captures the spirit of it well enough that I feel comfortable closing this out.View attachment 143676
Note: I used ghost notes above to simulate the change in volume only. They're not technically ghost notes, AFAIK, but they worked well for the intended affect if you listen to the final version in the link above. Once again, thanks to everyone that was thoughtful enough to help me out!
You moved the accent to the "e" of 2- a 16th note in the wrong direction. It should be the "a" of 1- the 4th note (3rd ghost note) of beat one. :giggle:

Back